U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,304,285 times
Reputation: 10182

Advertisements

To complement the other threads on the latest data, I thought I would throw these out there. Data is by metro area:

1) New York City/Northern New Jersey/Long Island: 1,116,151
2) Los Angeles/Long Beach/Orange County: 832,679
3) Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach: 522,009
4) Chicago/Naperville/Joilet: 377,959
5) Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington: 335,202
6) Washington DC/Arlington/Alexandria: 320,474
7) Houston/Sugarland/Baytown: 299,635
8) San Francisco/Oakland: 266,519
9) Phoenix/Scottsdale/Mesa: 220,456
10) Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Marietta: 214,608
11) Boston/Cambridge/Quincy: 197,462
12) Seattle/Tacoma/Bellveue: 131,366
13) Philadelphia/Camden/Wilmington: 127,055
14) San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos: 103,448
15) Orlando/Kissimmiee: 98,233
16) Denver/Auora/Boulder: 97,815
17) Detroit/Livonia/Warren: 96,955
18) Riverside/San Bernadino: 94,396
19) Las Vegas/Henderson: 88,439
20) Minneapolis/St. Paul: 87,293

http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-comp-chg.html (broken link)

Please discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 PM
 
Location: OUTTA SIGHT!
3,023 posts, read 2,748,892 times
Reputation: 1899
That's about the same as the rankings for population isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,153,633 times
Reputation: 2355
You missed San Jose's MSA (where there is a higher concentration of foreign born than the rest of the Bay Area):

San Jose-Santa Clara-Sunnyvale, CA MSA 176,435

However, most of those on the list aren't really much of a surprise. It would be also interesting if we can get a breakdown of where these foreign born are coming from in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,736,662 times
Reputation: 5394
Though the numbers seem about right, I'm always most wary about International population estimates. Of all groups, immigrants are the least likely to report information about themselves and mostly likely to fly under the radar. It's not out of the question to assume that some of these numbers are ten's of thousands of people off.

It's also going to be interesting to see just where these International immigrants are coming from.

After looking over the data though, I saw a rather remarkable trend.

Los Angeles 2000-2009

Number of natural increase (Births minus Deaths): 1,104,129
Number of new International immigrants: 832,769
Number of resident population that left the area: 1,365,120
Adjusted population increase: 509,169

New York City 2000-2009

Number of natural increase (Births minus Deaths): 1,067,418
Number of new International immigrants: 1,116,151
Number of resident population that left the area: 1,962,055
Adjusted population increase: 746,357

Both cities are hemorrhaging residents, but immigrants are replacing them at almost the same rate. If it weren't international migration, both cities would have seen very significant population losses. I wonder how long this trend will keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 AM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 7,893,301 times
Reputation: 2492
Here's the entire Bay Area (SJ-SF-Oakland CSA):

San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont MSA - 266,519
San Jose-Santa Clara-Sunnyvale MSA - 176,435
Santa Rosa-Petaluma MSA - 16,712
Vallejo-Fairfield MSA - 10,747
Santa Cruz-Watsonville MSA - 10,047
Napa MSA - 6,122
total: 486,582
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,013 posts, read 6,928,833 times
Reputation: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
That's about the same as the rankings for population isn't it?
yep with the exception of Miami its out of place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,013 posts, read 6,928,833 times
Reputation: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
To complement the other threads on the latest data, I thought I would throw these out there. Data is by metro area:

1) New York City/Northern New Jersey/Long Island: 1,116,151
2) Los Angeles/Long Beach/Orange County: 832,679
3) Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach: 522,009
4) Chicago/Naperville/Joilet: 377,959
5) Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington: 335,202
6) Washington DC/Arlington/Alexandria: 320,474
7) Houston/Sugarland/Baytown: 299,635
8) San Francisco/Oakland: 266,519
9) Phoenix/Scottsdale/Mesa: 220,456
10) Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Marietta: 214,608
11) Boston/Cambridge/Quincy: 197,462
12) Seattle/Tacoma/Bellveue: 131,366
13) Philadelphia/Camden/Wilmington: 127,055
14) San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos: 103,448
15) Orlando/Kissimmiee: 98,233
16) Denver/Auora/Boulder: 97,815
17) Detroit/Livonia/Warren: 96,955
18) Riverside/San Bernadino: 94,396
19) Las Vegas/Henderson: 88,439
20) Minneapolis/St. Paul: 87,293

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-comp-chg.html - broken link)

Please discuss!
Great data I would rep but it want allow me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,304,285 times
Reputation: 10182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
You missed San Jose's MSA (where there is a higher concentration of foreign born than the rest of the Bay Area):

San Jose-Santa Clara-Sunnyvale, CA MSA 176,435

However, most of those on the list aren't really much of a surprise. It would be also interesting if we can get a breakdown of where these foreign born are coming from in the world
UGGGGHHHH . Youre right!!! I feel like an idiot.

It would go between Boston and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,304,285 times
Reputation: 10182
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
That's about the same as the rankings for population isn't it?
Not quite. Miami is way up there. Also Philly is down the list compared to its total population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,272 posts, read 7,196,776 times
Reputation: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Not quite. Miami is way up there. Also Philly is down the list compared to its total population.
Interesting list -- thanks for posting it. I think this is particularly interesting because -- although Philadelphia is lower on the list in proportion to its metro population -- it doesn't necessarily indicate the proportion of foreign born among the total of in-migrants.

For example, going by metro estimates, Philadelphia had a net gain of 281,094 people since 2000, but if 127,055 of those were foreign born, the proportion of foreign-born among newcomers is about 45%. That's pretty darn high, and it can attributed to the fact that Philadelphia is a relatively low-growth metro area with immigrants largely driving its current growth. This also applies even moreso to other metro areas like Boston, New York, San Francisco and Chicago. Yet a very high-growth metro area like Dallas is significantly different, where the proportion of foreign born among incoming migrants is: 26.8% (335,202 out of 1,251,427 total incoming migrants since 2000):

http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/tables/2009/CBSA-EST2009-01.xls (broken link)

Thus, there are some underlying trends here that may be making some areas more disproportionately more comprised of foreign-born residents than others, irrespective of the hard numbers.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-30-2010 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top