U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 AM
 
871 posts, read 1,913,298 times
Reputation: 596

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Read Vewy Slowly: Despite the Washington-Baltimore-Wilmington Corridor Maryland, DC, and Delaware is part of the South.......
why, why why why why? tell why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 3,115,603 times
Reputation: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Read Vewy Slowly: Despite the Washington-Baltimore-Wilmington Corridor Maryland, DC, and Delaware is part of the South.......
No, they still aren't, and whether you're from rural Maryland or rural Delaware is irrelevant. I'd love to see someone from Delaware go anywhere else in the country (especially the actual South) and tell everyone they're from the South, and then mention specifically Delaware. People would stare as if you were crazy. Delaware borders NEW JERSEY for the Lord's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,892,443 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
No, they still aren't, and whether you're from rural Maryland or rural Delaware is irrelevant. I'd love to see someone from Delaware go anywhere else in the country (especially the actual South) and tell everyone they're from the South, and then mention specifically Delaware. People would stare as if you were crazy. Delaware borders NEW JERSEY for the Lord's sake.
Does it matter which state is on the border? Kentucky borders Ohio, and it's still southern.

It's funny how people love to claim that a state "isn't southern" because it's on the edge of the South. I don't really care if Delaware is southern or not, but the arguments against it are pretty lame IMO.

I guarantee if you ask people from Vermont if Delaware is southern, they will say yes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 AM
 
1,201 posts, read 1,927,507 times
Reputation: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
that map has areas of west TN (down by the mississippi) as hillbillie which have no hills. i know west TN has hills, but some parts of it are dead flat

you made a sweeping statement that west tn had no hills. you did not qualify any of your statement with the knowledge that you knew such. my point was simply that west tennessee had hills---nothing else. no need to become insolent because of your accurate information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,710,513 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
No, they still aren't, and whether you're from rural Maryland or rural Delaware is irrelevant. I'd love to see someone from Delaware go anywhere else in the country (especially the actual South) and tell everyone they're from the South, and then mention specifically Delaware. People would stare as if you were crazy. Delaware borders NEW JERSEY for the Lord's sake.
It doesn't matter how you state it with opinionated biasness and stereotypes but Maryland, DC, and Delaware is always part of the South......

If you refuse to accept it then that is your personal Hangup which is not my worries because I know the Facts........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 01:36 AM
 
871 posts, read 1,913,298 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
you made a sweeping statement that west tn had no hills. you did not qualify any of your statement with the knowledge that you knew such. my point was simply that west tennessee had hills---nothing else. no need to become insolent because of your accurate information.
i see no way in which my post was insolent. there was nothing even vaguely insulting insulting about it. and the area that i was thinking of when i wrote that, does in fact lack hills as im referring to the mississippi embayment of TN, which is "western TN".

i didnt mean to say that all of west tennessee lacks hills, but that far west TN by the mississippi river does, an area that that map labeled as "hillbillies". and the types of hills that west TN near jackson has are not the type associated with appalachian hillfolk anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 3,115,603 times
Reputation: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Does it matter which state is on the border? Kentucky borders Ohio, and it's still southern.
Yes, however Ohio is a Midwestern border state in itself with parts of southern Ohio having a Southern feel (similar to parts of southern Indiana). There is no question about New Jersey's status as existing in the heartland of the Northeast. And to most people in the region, you know, the people who have actual experience living in NJ/PA/DE/the Mid-Atlantic, Delaware is just an extension of South Jersey and Philadelphia.

What people from Vermont think is irrelevant. New Jersey could be considered South to people in the upper reaches of Northern New England. I guarantee that if one were to ask the actual locals living in PA, NJ, NY, MD, and Delaware itself, if Delaware is a Southern state, the answer would be a resounding "NO".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,175 posts, read 11,775,132 times
Reputation: 3462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat2k View Post
in terms of 'most southern' to 'least southern?' In terms of most extreme accents, fewest transplants, most Southern culture, cuisine, landscape, etc. Rank them on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being low and 10 being high. Here are the choices

Kentucky
Virginia
Tennessee
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Oklahoma
Texas
Louisiana
Florida (North of Orlando)

I haven't visited all of these, and don't know a whole lot about most of them [except SC, GA, and NC really] so I'm not really qualified to answer, but was curious about this.
Have fun!!!
States with World Class Cities in them would be the LEAST Southern

1. Florida
2.Texas
3. Georgia

States with Major American Cities would follow
4.North Carolina
5.Tennessee
6.Virginia
7.Oklahoma
8.Kentucky
9.Louisana
10.South Carolina

Most Southern
11. Alabama
12.Mississippi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,952,237 times
Reputation: 7245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
States with World Class Cities in them would be the LEAST Southern

1. Florida
2.Texas
3. Georgia

States with Major American Cities would follow
4.North Carolina
5.Tennessee
6.Virginia
7.Oklahoma
8.Kentucky
9.Louisana
10.South Carolina

Most Southern
11. Alabama
12.Mississippi
I disagree; Georgia isn't in the same bracket with Texas and Florida. Sure they have similar history (as well as different), but at the end of it all; Texas and Florida have their own distinct cultures and have drifted away from the "stereotypical" southern views. Those two have southern influence, but also strong influences from other places. Anything east of East Texas (or east of 35) is debatable to many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2010, 05:16 PM
 
1,201 posts, read 1,927,507 times
Reputation: 717
focus. again, you stated: "....there are no hills...in west tn...." your central argument is incorrect. there is no issue brought into the argument re: your justification of why you made the statement, after the fact. i understand your original statement; however, many who read forum information do not know tn geography, what constitutes southern, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top