U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:22 AM
 
14,110 posts, read 22,659,871 times
Reputation: 4202

Advertisements

East Texas is about as Southern as Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,439 posts, read 2,274,366 times
Reputation: 1333
I think the OP was wanting a score for each state, with 1 being not very Southern and 10 being most Southern. In that framework, here are my thoughts:

Kentucky: 7 a little far north, but definitely southern. Home of bourbon and the kentucky Derby.

Virginia: 7 also a little far north, and Northern Virginia is not very southern, but the rest of the state still has strong southern ties. Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy.

Tennessee: 8 very southern culturally. A bit of appalachian influence as well.

North Carolina: 8 mostly southern, but a fair number of transplants and some appalachian influence.

South Carolina: 10 SC really embraces its southern identity. Charleston is a great place to visit for a feel of the old south. Great low country food.

Georgia: 10. Rural Georgia is very southern and Atlanta is the most southern of the major cities, IMO.

Alabama: 10 the Heart of Dixie

Mississippi: 10 strongly southern.

Oklahoma: 4 has some southern influence, but also has southwestern influences. Kind of a border state.

Texas: 6 This one is tough b/c Texas is so big. Parts are pretty southern, but other parts have a completely different feel.

Louisiana: 9 a different vibe, but still very southern.

Florida (North of Orlando): 8 the panhandle is very southern. As the saying goes, the further south you go in florida, the more it feels like the north. South Florida does not feel southern culturally, but since the OP specified north of Orlando, I will give it a high score.

Also, I think the OP left out Arkansas, which has a fairly southern feel, although it also has competing influences. I'd give Arkansas a 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,792,680 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are you serious? You've never been to east Texas, or southeast Texas. It is 120% southern, I live here, I know. Just as southern as Mobile, just with more of a Louisiana flair with nearby Cajun influence and similar seafood and fishing industry. The Texas gulf coast is tied in very well with the rest of the coast.
Well as long as you people deny Maryland being a Southern State then Texas along with Florida, Virginia, and Atlanta won't be Southern either......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,792,680 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think the OP was wanting a score for each state, with 1 being not very Southern and 10 being most Southern. In that framework, here are my thoughts:

Kentucky: 7 a little far north, but definitely southern. Home of bourbon and the kentucky Derby.

Virginia: 7 also a little far north, and Northern Virginia is not very southern, but the rest of the state still has strong southern ties. Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy.

Tennessee: 8 very southern culturally. A bit of appalachian influence as well.

North Carolina: 8 mostly southern, but a fair number of transplants and some appalachian influence.

South Carolina: 10 SC really embraces its southern identity. Charleston is a great place to visit for a feel of the old south. Great low country food.

Georgia: 10. Rural Georgia is very southern and Atlanta is the most southern of the major cities, IMO.

Alabama: 10 the Heart of Dixie

Mississippi: 10 strongly southern.

Oklahoma: 4 has some southern influence, but also has southwestern influences. Kind of a border state.

Texas: 6 This one is tough b/c Texas is so big. Parts are pretty southern, but other parts have a completely different feel.

Louisiana: 9 a different vibe, but still very southern.

Florida (North of Orlando): 8 the panhandle is very southern. As the saying goes, the further south you go in florida, the more it feels like the north. South Florida does not feel southern culturally, but since the OP specified north of Orlando, I will give it a high score.

Also, I think the OP left out Arkansas, which has a fairly southern feel, although it also has competing influences. I'd give Arkansas a 7.
To Intentionally leave Maryland out of the Discussion screws up the Entire Subject at hand.....

And to say that Maryland is not Southern only proves that who ever believes that crock have NEVER step foot in any parts of the state of Maryland and is only (pre)judging Maryland based on what some Maryland hater(who has only passed through Baltimore/DC) stereotyped....

Like it or not Maryland and Delaware is Southern.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,439 posts, read 2,274,366 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
To Intentionally leave Maryland out of the Discussion screws up the Entire Subject at hand.....

And to say that Maryland is not Southern only proves that who ever believes that crock have NEVER step foot in any parts of the state of Maryland and is only (pre)judging Maryland based on what some Maryland hater(who has only passed through Baltimore/DC) stereotyped....

Like it or not Maryland and Delaware is Southern.......
I left Maryland out b/c I was using the states listed by the original poster (plus I added Arkansas).

I am originally from the deep south and I have spent a lot of time in Maryland, both Baltimore and Kent Island. I think that Maryland has some southern influences but is not predominantly southern. The weather, demographics, food, accent, religion and culture are all pretty different from the typical southern state. On the 1-10 scale I would give Maryland a 3 or 4.

Delaware I have only been to twice, but it didn't seem southern to me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,148 posts, read 19,637,341 times
Reputation: 8761
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Well as long as you people deny Maryland being a Southern State then Texas along with Florida, Virginia, and Atlanta won't be Southern either......
You obviously don't know what southern is. Virginia is a state that I barely consider southern, more of a transition once you hit NOVA. Atlanta? You speak nonsense. Have you been to Atlanta, Texas, or north AND south Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,569,741 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You obviously don't know what southern is. Virginia is a state that I barely consider southern, more of a transition once you hit NOVA. Atlanta? You speak nonsense. Have you been to Atlanta, Texas, or north AND south Florida?
If Virginia is a transition state than Texas definitely is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,059,594 times
Reputation: 7591
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
If Virginia is a transition state than Texas definitely is.
what makes NOVA so different from the major cities in Texas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,569,741 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what makes NOVA so different from the major cities in Texas??
NE influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,059,594 times
Reputation: 7591
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
NE influence.
so does an area like Richmond Virginia have less southern influence than a place like El paso, San Antonio or the Texas Valley?

Seems like the old capital of the confederacy would be more southern than the old capital of Mexican Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top