Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times

Advertisements

They are closer to the border and have alot of influence from nearby states. Like Shreveport has Texas influence. Biloxi has New Orleans influnce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Annie brought up a good point; as well as AK06. The south isn't monolithic; so it makes no sense to rank them based on southerness. What's the definition of southern?? Miami isn't like Atlanta, Altanta isn't like Savannah, Savannah isn't like Houston, etc

I think what we're all relying on is southern stereotypes.All we're doing is pushing those same stereotypes that we hate onto other cities. There is much more to Jackson,MS or Shreveport than what the media or the stereotypes portray.
No, the South is not monolithic and there are places that all feel very southern even though they are different from each other, but there are a set of of things that make a place feel southern to me. Here are some things that make a place feel southern to me, your list is probably different.

1. Weather: long, hot summers, mild winters, high humidity.

2. People: Whites in the south tend to be English or Scots Irish, there are fewer people of Italian, German, Jewish, etc ancestry. There are more african Americans in the south than in other regions.

3. Social/political conservatism and higher percentage of protestants, especially Baptists and Methodists.

4. Slower pace of life, people tend to be a little friendlier and more welcoming.

5. Food: soul and comfort food is more common. Things like fried chicken, cornbread, bbq, grits, catfish and greens. I also consider Creole and low-country food to be southern. Oh, and sweet tea. :-)

6. Southern self-identification. Many people in the South are proud of their region and identify themselves as southern.

7. Accents. They are different, but they are usually identifiable as southern.

That list is by no means definitive, I could probably name 15-20 factors pretty easily, but my point is that there are things that make a place seem southern. Maybe they are stereotypes, but sometimes stereotypes are there b/c they have a basis in fact.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
They are closer to the border and have alot of influence from nearby states. Like Shreveport has Texas influence. Biloxi has New Orleans influnce.
Sure, but I don't think most would see Oklahoma and extreme SW Missouri as midwestern.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Well no, but some wouldnt say they are southern.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Yeah, I consider oklahoma southern, but Southwest Missouri is only mildly southern, if at all. A place like Springfield is not what I would consider an overwhelmingly southern place. It has rural, country outlying areas, but it didnt have many southern characteristics. At least it didnt feel like it. The accents are flat and watery, and there certainly arent many blacks in that area from what I remember.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah, I consider oklahoma southern, but Southwest Missouri is only mildly southern, if at all. A place like Springfield is not what I would consider an overwhelmingly southern place. It has rural, country outlying areas, but it didnt have many southern characteristics. At least it didnt feel like it. The accents are flat and watery, and there certainly arent many blacks in that area from what I remember.
Right.

The vast majority of Oklahoma (with the exception of the extreme western panhandle) is very culturally akin to western Arkansas, much of northern Louisiana, and the vast majority of Texas (east Texas being more similar to and sharing some Deep South qualities notwithstanding).

I understand that some Deep South purists don't see these areas as part of the South. However, to say they are "Midwestern" is ludicrous. They are South-Central, SOUTHwest, or "Western-South" = toned-down Southern states/areas, but certainly still part of the South at large. Historically this is true as well based on settlement patterns/speech-dialect/and many other cultural indicators. (The Census actually comes closest to pinpointing all of this with it's West South Central subregion of the South.)

BTW, the few miniscule areas in Oklahoma that may not be overtly Southern as the rest of the state (panhandle, extreme west) have a lot more in common with "western" and/or southwestern culture than Midwest. Just FYI for anyone still endorsing the Midwestern myth associated with Oklahoma. Oklahoma is the cultural crossroads between the true South to the East and the true West/Southwest to the West. Obviously, Oklahoma is much more Cowboy/Native American (I'm both) than most other Southern states.

Also, whoever said Fort Smith is even remotely Midwestern must be hitting that crack pipe quite often.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 06-04-2011 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
The Ozark Mountains are a cultural transition zone, never fully Midwestern and never fully Southern, but having characteristics of both places. North of U.S. 60, the Ozarks are primarily Midwestern with a trace of Southern influence. South of I-40, the Ozarks are primarily Southern with a trace of Midwestern influence. Between the two highways is about as mixed of a regional culture as you can find.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
My favorites:
MD (Love Baltimore)
KY (Covington and Newport <3)
MS (I love the delta vibe)
LA (NOLA)
FL (south FL has awesome Cuban/Hispanic culture in general)
AL (Birmingham and Montgomery are great, limited experience with Mobile)

Old 06-05-2011, 10:50 PM

98 posts, read 276,658 times
Here is my list of states in the modern South (excluding Missouri) from least southern to most southern.

16. Delaware. Nothing is southern about this state.
15. Maryland. This state is more associated with the Northeast.
14. Virginia. This state is transitional between Northern VA and the Upper South.
13. Florida. This state is a retirement haven for northern transplants, which lessens its southern influences.
12. Texas. TX is an unique region of its own. Thanks to bustling cities and booming economy with Mexican influences, it doesn't feel southern.
11. North Carolina. Like VA, TX, and FL, the state has its share of northern transplants with good economy dubbing the "New South."
10. Louisiana. Although it's a poor state, its French Cajun tradition and New Orleans make it interesting than surrounding states of MS & AR.
9. Tennessee. TN is becoming the next North Carolina due to rapid urbanization in Nashville to tourism in its eastern part.
8. Georgia. Thanks to Atlanta, Georgia is extremely popular. We however cannot forget its southern traditions, accent, and the fact that all of GA is not Atlanta.
7. Oklahoma. Although it is Midwestern to some, the cities resemble the South.
6. Kentucky. Although it may be a border state, it feels very southern.
5. South Carolina. Both Upstate and Charleston are very southern.
4. Alabama. Despite its growing economy, it's still the Heart of the Dixie.
3. Arkansas. It's like the better version of Mississippi.
2. Mississippi. No state can be more southern than this one.
1. West Virginia. Like KY, it's a sparsely populated border state rallied behind its coal mining economy. I ranked WV 1st because I would rather live in MS than in WV.

Last edited by UTVols865; 06-05-2011 at 11:10 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 10:59 PM

Again, ranking southernness is bull. New Orleans doesn't make Louisiana less southern, neither does Acadiana (Cajun Country), it's just as southern as Mississippi. I mean is New York less northeastern cause people come from all over? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City