U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 08:41 PM

18,599 posts, read 26,981,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
In my order:

Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Georgia
South Carolina
Texas
Florida (North of Orlando)
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Virginia
Kentucky
I think you have Tennessee and Virginia to low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 09:11 PM

622 posts, read 942,856 times
Missouri is FAR more southern than maryland or Delaware! Large sections of Missouri should be included in the south. Wonder how many people who make these lists have ever even been to the Ozarks or the delta region of mo. Yet many don't even put Missouri on the list. It makes no sense!!! Most people would guess I'm from Arkansas or Tennessee with my accent and I was born and raised in Missouri!!! David nail and porter wagoner and other huge country stars are from mo!! Go to youtube and listen to David nail or porter wagoner talk and tell me they aren't southern!!!

Old 12-25-2014, 09:14 PM

872 posts, read 1,405,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think you have Tennessee and Virginia to low.
In my order:

Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Georgia
South Carolina
Texas
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Virginia
Kentucky

Better?...

Old 12-25-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
In my order:

Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Georgia
South Carolina
Texas
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Virginia
Kentucky

Better?...
Where is Missouri? Last I checked. I'm from Missouri and I'm southern

Old 12-25-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
In my order:

Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Georgia
South Carolina
Texas
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Virginia
Kentucky

Better?...
I would put Tennessee above Texas because of the West Texas and South Texas affect. These two areas in Texas are not at all Southern. Especially the Valley.You also forgot NC and Arkansas.

My list would be.

Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
Louisiana
Tennessee
Arkansas
North Carolina
Texas
Virginia
Oklahoma
Kentucky
Florida
Missouri
West Virginia
Maryland
Delaware

Last four are sometimes counted as southern and sometimes not. The others are all the time.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:13 AM

872 posts, read 1,405,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would put Tennessee above Texas because of the West Texas and South Texas affect. These two areas in Texas are not at all Southern. Especially the Valley.You also forgot NC and Arkansas.

My list would be.

Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
Louisiana
Tennessee
Arkansas
North Carolina
Texas
Virginia
Oklahoma
Kentucky
Florida
Missouri
West Virginia
Maryland
Delaware

Last four are sometimes counted as southern and sometimes not. The others are all the time.
I actually was going by the list the OP listed. But NC and Arkansas should be on the list. The last 4 are questionable...this is the first time I've herd Missouri being in the South.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I actually was going by the list the OP listed. But NC and Arkansas should be on the list. The last 4 are questionable...this is the first time I've herd Missouri being in the South.
That's why I made the qualifier on those four. I mean the Southern part of Missouri is Southern IMO. But KC and STL are not Southern at all. So that's why I said sometimes people like to count it and sometimes people don't.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
How is this the first time you have heard of Missouri being considered southern??? You do realize one of the stars on the stars and bars represents Missouri.....

Old 12-26-2014, 08:02 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,250,582 times
1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. South Carolina
5. Louisiana
6. Tennessee
7. Arkansas
8. North Carolina
9. Virginia
10. Texas
11. Oklahoma
12. Kentucky
13. Florida
14. Missouri
15. West Virginia
16. Maryland
17. Delaware

Some of these are a little close. North Carolina could possibly overtake Arkansas, but I guess the influx of transplants into the major metros of NC seals the deal these days. I doubt Arkansas is too transplant saturated, or transplant saturated on the same level of NC. I only included Maryland and Delaware since they're apparently southern by the census definition. However, both of these states are northeastern in my book. If they hold any southern aspects, it has to be in some areas that are more rural. Georgia/South Carolina is a toss up, but I went with Georgia in the long run. Outside of the Atlanta metro, I feel like I'm in areas that are more southern than South Carolina, especially south Georgia. However, this is definitely a toss up and could be argued in South Carolina's favor for sure. The others on the list are pretty accurate, IMO.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 12-26-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 08:10 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,751,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teen Confederate View Post
I'm Floridian who lives south of Orlando and it's a mistake to not count us we're all pro Confederate here my next door neighbor has a Confederate flag for goodness sakes, Florida fought in Gettysburg under e Lee, and in south Florida a short drive from Miami there is a Robert e Lee county that is very Conservative, and my dads from Texas and I'm pretty sure he'd resent y'all saying Texas isn't southern. God bless the south.
we in the south are very proud of you folks in florida .. you were the last state to come back into the union after the war of northern aggression ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or