U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 PM

20 posts, read 16,523 times

Advertisements

This is a very silly thread because there is so much diversity in the south. New Orleans is not Nashville but both are southern. Memphis and Charleston are distinct and both southern.

Similarly, Texas is insanely big, like the size of Germany and even though it has its own distinct "Texas" culture it's quite different depending on where you go. It's difficult to rate the southernness of such a diverse state. I've traveled a lot and I'd definitely consider Houston the south, similarly I feel like Pensacola Florida is southern and like the guy write above me wrote, southern IL seemed more like the south to me than northern VA and I'm not saying that because it was more rural. Things just kind of blend and bleed into other cultures; it's very difficult to say. Yeah, we can all agree that GA is more southern than Delaware, but comparing Alabama to South Carolina or Tennessee to Louisiana, etc. would be pointless, which makes this thread kind of dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 PM

19 posts, read 10,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I'm laughing when people don't consider Arkansas as southern as North Carolina or other southern states. I'm guessing many people saying this haven't travelled through Arkansas much. If you took someone from little rock and put them in any city around the same size in North Carolina people would keep asking "where are you from you have a southern accent!" I would say little rock is one of the most southern feeling cities for it's size anywhere in the United States. It is directly in the center of Arkansas as well.
Sorry buddy the only time someone would ask that in NC is if they were from up north to begin with or someone wanted to gauge their accent based on location in the state. I believe Ark is just as southern as the rest it's just its own brand of southern like the rest

Old 07-29-2015, 08:15 PM

19 posts, read 10,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Virginia - 5
Florida - 5
Oklahoma -5
Texas - 6
North Carolina -7
Kentucky - 7
Arkansas - 8
Tennessee -8
Louisiana - 8
Alabama - 9
Georgia - 9.5
South Carolina - 10
Mississippi - 10

Almost perfect I would bump NC up to 8 ...well the old NC lol

Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,988,163 times
Am I the only one who thinks Virginia is more southern than Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:26 AM

998 posts, read 798,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Virginia is more southern than Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma?
Pretty much....

Old 07-30-2015, 06:38 AM

It's a tossup between Alabama and South Carolina for second behind Mississippi, all three are more southern than Georgia in my book.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:42 AM

My final stand:

1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. South Carolina
4. Georgia
5. Tennessee
6. Louisiana
7. Arkansas
8. North Carolina
9. Kentucky
10. Virginia
11. Texas
12. Florida
13. Missouri
14. Oklahoma
15. West Virginia
16. Maryland
17. Delaware

Old 07-31-2015, 11:50 AM

6,612 posts, read 6,537,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh293 View Post
This is a very silly thread because there is so much diversity in the south. New Orleans is not Nashville but both are southern. Memphis and Charleston are distinct and both southern.

Similarly, Texas is insanely big, like the size of Germany and even though it has its own distinct "Texas" culture it's quite different depending on where you go. It's difficult to rate the southernness of such a diverse state. I've traveled a lot and I'd definitely consider Houston the south, similarly I feel like Pensacola Florida is southern and like the guy write above me wrote, southern IL seemed more like the south to me than northern VA and I'm not saying that because it was more rural. Things just kind of blend and bleed into other cultures; it's very difficult to say. Yeah, we can all agree that GA is more southern than Delaware, but comparing Alabama to South Carolina or Tennessee to Louisiana, etc. would be pointless, which makes this thread kind of dumb.
I've been saying this same thing for a long time. It's all southern, just different incarnations of southern. South Florida, NOVA, etc. are southern, just not the same kind of southern as Birmingham. The South is a very diverse region with all kinds of cultures. There is not a definitive "southern culture", and I think many times people seem to equate it with classic, historical southern culture. It's 2015.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:55 PM

345 posts, read 288,307 times
Most to Least

Mississippi
Alabama
South Carolina
Georgia
North Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Louisiana
Kentucky
Virginia
Florida
Oklahoma

Old 09-11-2016, 05:49 AM

15,832 posts, read 5,395,558 times
How can all of you who have ranked Mississippi at the top do it with a straight face?? MS is the poorest state in the country, the State Prison at Parchman makes up half the states economy and it scores last in all the important rankings such as education!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or