Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
so does an area like Richmond Virginia have less southern influence than a place like El paso, San Antonio or the Texas Valley?

Seems like the old capital of the confederacy would be more southern than the old capital of Mexican Texas
Well Richmond isn't in NOVA and it has by far more Southern influence than El Paso, SA, and the Valley. Richmond is the South. Virginia becomes a transition state once you get to Fredericksburg coming from both directions. But like Texas, the majority of Virginia is very Southern in feel, dialect, food, w/e.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,813,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
NE influence.
Austin, El Paso, SA, Laredo, Amarillio, Del Rio, The Valley, etc, etc, have more of a transitional influence/culture than Richmond, Charlottesville, VA Beach, Norfolk, etc. Those places in Texas that I named are just as transitional(if not more) than most VA cities outside of the DMV. Texas is Southern, but it's transitional as HELL!! It's like a Giant VA(sort of). You can't put the whole Texas into the South. It's geographically imposible.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
If Virginia is a transition state than Texas definitely is.
Absolutely, but east Texas is 120% southern. I've spent time with many people from Charlotte who barely consider themselves southern and my aunt is from Virginia Beach area and doesn't consider herself or any of her family to be southern. I find that Charlotte is very southern but I'm not sure of eastern VA.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Absolutely, but east Texas is 120% southern. I've spent time with many people from Charlotte who barely consider themselves southern and my aunt is from Virginia Beach area and doesn't consider herself or any of her family to be southern. I find that Charlotte is very southern but I'm not sure of eastern VA.
Here's the thing with The Hampton Roads. It's very transient. But the majority of people there are still very Southern. It borders North Carolina and if anyone has been to towns like Aulander, Rocky Mount, you know you are in the South. But since there is a huge naval base there and it attracts many Northeastern college kids (especially the HBCUs), it dilutes the Southern lifestyle just a tad. But the area is still Southern. The rest of VA outside NOVA is still the South.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,783,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well Richmond isn't in NOVA and it has by far more Southern influence than El Paso, SA, and the Valley. Richmond is the South. Virginia becomes a transition state once you get to Fredericksburg coming from both directions. But like Texas, the majority of Virginia is very Southern in feel, dialect, food, w/e.
I am done with the Nova bit (different post). I am back on to Virginia being a transition state. San Antonio is midway into Texas as Richmond is into Virginia.

Just pointing out that as NOVA doesn't feel very southern, neither does west Texas

Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Ya'll calm down. I never said Virginia wasn't southern lol

I was pretty much stating it's weird to say Texas is southern, but say Virginia is a transitional state.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,951,699 times
I think anything South of Richmond, and West of Charlottesville in VA starts to become southern. But Charlottesville isnt southern compared to somewhere in VA like Lynchburg, which IS southern.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,813,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I think anything South of Richmond, and West of Charlottesville in VA starts to become southern. But Charlottesville isnt southern compared to somewhere in VA like Lynchburg, which IS southern.
I've been to Richmond. It's just as Southern as anywhere I've been in the South. I don't see what's so non-Southern about it.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:11 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,951,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've been to Richmond. It's just as Southern as anywhere I've been in the South. I don't see what's so non-Southern about it.
I agree with you...I wouldnt consider it as south as anywhere else in the south, but I do think its southern. It is to Virginia what Dallas is to Texas imo.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:19 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I agree with you...I wouldnt consider it as south as anywhere else in the south, but I do think its southern. It is to Virginia what Dallas is to Texas imo.
Sounds about perfect to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City