U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,726,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
NC and SC aren't similar?
There are some similarities, but stark differences in a few key areas (politics, education, economic development, etc.). These days, VA and NC are much more similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 PM

4,181 posts, read 6,348,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
no, there really not. southern california is really the only part of the state where anybody even goes in the water without a wetsuit. florida's beach communities have that retirement community thing going on.

and texas isnt a twin of califorina, that is just dumb.
does it really matter if they wear a wet suit or not? Suffers in FL wear wet suits all the time, the water isn't always warm. If had to pick one region that resembles coastal CA's culture the most, I would pick coastal FL. The majority of FL beach towns are not retirement towns. The beach culture is very present in both regions, and the beach towns are set up the same way. The only difference is the climate and the land structure.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 PM

13,155 posts, read 12,256,264 times
Quote:
im not talking about the climate either. im talking about how north florida is the south, northern california certainly is not. those states really arent alike at all.
I was talking about certain parts of Florida. While Northern Florida may be the South, North Florida is VERY culturally different then SoFla, and SoFla's beach culture is VERY reminiscent of SoCal's, to say Florida and CA are nothing alike is a weird new trend I'm starting to see on C-D. I can see the HUGE differences, but to say there not alike AT ALL? These 2 states have been compared in like-ness MANY times before, like it was normal. They have some HUGE particular similarities, does anybody else not see it? Strange, I'm hearing FLA and GA, FLA and Louisiana, FLA and (insert southeast state). I think some people might have not been South of I-4 in Florida.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
no, there really not. southern california is really the only part of the state where anybody even goes in the water without a wetsuit. florida's beach communities have that retirement community thing going on.

and texas isnt a twin of califorina, that is just dumb.
Maybe Southwest Florida, not Southeast Florida. Most of South Florida's beaches have high-rises, entertainment districts, clubs, etc, etc. Often times I see threads of (Insert South Florida Beach) VS (Insert SoCal Beach).

Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 PM

I can see the Northeast Florida Southeast GA similarity, and I can somewhat see the Louisiana Florida comparison.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 AM

4,236 posts, read 5,463,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Strange, I'm hearing FLA and GA, FLA and Louisiana, FLA and (insert southeast state). I think some people might have not been South of I-4 in Florida.
Panhandle and Central Florida resembles the Florida Parishes (Northshore) and Baton Rouge areas. Just compare South Florida development to development in Houston area and the immediate New Orleans suburbs.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Look at Tampa you don't think this looks like anywhere in CA? San Diego or the SF Bay Area? Look right here: hyde park tampa - Google Maps

Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Panhandle and Central Florida resembles the Florida Parishes (Northshore) and Baton Rouge. Just compare South Florida development to development in Houston area and the immediate New Orleans suburbs.
I see what you mean now. I can see that comparison. NO area has an abundance of palm trees, and I see the European influences in the Spanish Mediterranean-Style houses.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 AM

4,236 posts, read 5,463,358 times
Quote:
I see what you mean now. I can see that comparison. NO area has an abundance of palm trees, and I see the European influences in the Spanish Mediterranean-Style houses.
If you took the soundwalls from I-95 and put them on the Palmetto Expwy, you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from the I-10 through the suburbs. The infrastructure and development patterns are almost exactly alike. Only difference is the building materials and architectural treatments.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 AM

12,465 posts, read 17,959,788 times
Quote:
I can see the Northeast Florida Southeast GA similarity.
Definitely. I would expand the area to the entirety of coastal GA and southeastern SC. This area is very homgeneous in its' appearance.
Because of the extensive movie production facilities located in Wilmington, southeastern NC is sometimes used in movies as a substitute for Louisiana or southern Alabama.
NC = Louisiana in the film Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
SC/NC = Alabama in the film Forrest Gump
GA = SC in the film Conrack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City