U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM

1,207 posts, read 999,794 times
as i currently live in tn, i would say, w/out a doubt, that kentucky is tn's twin. typography is very similar, kentucky has those beautiful grazing fields for which even tn has to feel a twinge of jealousy. personally, i wouldn't have a problem living in ky, w/ the exception of their state income tax. i remember some of the beautiful lakes and rivers in eastern ky. it is worth the scenic drive, when coming back from the eastern states and/or washington d.c. oh, one over thing that i don't like in their commonwealth is their toll roads, although they are well kept.

if the states ever marry, our states should marry. our child could be west virginia. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,467,784 times
The closest thing Texas has to a twin is California.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 PM

42 posts, read 42,155 times
Michigan is a toughie... I've always felt like Wisconsin was brethren though, they do practically own our Upper Peninsula!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM

5,263 posts, read 7,188,327 times
New Jersey's twin has to be either Maryland or Connecticut.
NYC plays a similar towards NJ as DC does for MD. Newark--Baltimore, very similar in a few ways. Both the states are amongst the wealthiest states (side by side in rankings)... It seems like a reasonable comparison.

Connecticut is probably a closer twin.
Hartford is similar to Trenton based on crime stats, size, and history. CT has a bunch of midsized cities which most unfortunately turned out to be undesirable (as does NJ), and confidentially both states have some of the lowest poverty rates, and some of the highest education rates in the nation (thanks to the freeloading governments both states became burden to. "Those damn tax sucking states!")

You see the chain?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,618,518 times
Dunno if California has one...Florida I guess

As for oregon, Washington seems like the best fit.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,683,540 times
Florida has no twin.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,822,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Florida has no twin.
Hawaii is somewhat of a twin to Florida.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,958,242 times
Florida and Louisiana seem comparable. Both states are subtropical, used to be considered uninhabitable swampland. Both states have similar climate with humidity, similar topography, similar wildlife (the presence of alligators, types of snakes, etc.). Both states experience short and unpredictable rainfall in the summertime and are prone to hurricanes. And both have unique cities that are unlike anywhere in the U.S. (Miami and New Orleans).

Louisiana is Florida without Disney World.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,212,077 times
Oregon/Washington

Georgia/North Carolina

Tennessee/Kentucky

Colorado/Utah

Arkansas/Alabama/Mississippi (triplets)

I know some of those will raise questions, thats just how I see them.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,563,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear View Post
Michigan is a toughie... I've always felt like Wisconsin was brethren though, they do practically own our Upper Peninsula!

Im in Michigan too, and I agree that Wisconsin would be the closest. Wisconsin is so similar that you almost dont feel like your in another state when you are there. Accents are the same, people the same and the landscape is the same. I do think our side of Lake Mi is a bit nicer though. We should get something since we are saddled with Detroit and they are not. They also have the packers and we are stuck with the Lions. I wonder if Ohio wants Detroit AND the Lions lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City