U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM

2,127 posts, read 2,023,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Thinking of states that are similar in culture, cities, landscape, demographics, economics and such. What state is most similar to yours?

I am originally from Pennsylvania, and when I moved to Ohio, I saw a lot of similarities. The demographics are almost exactly similar, large cities with plenty of sporting activities. Diverse landscapes, and different city neighborhoods representing the immigrants that have settled down. Home to some of the best and largest university systems in the country.

Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are like siblings. Cleveland reminds me of a smaller Philadelphia. Both states are home to diverse economies with countless fortune 500 companies. The wealth is spread across the states, not just concentrated in one section. People tend to view issues the same, and you have your big city attitudes, your take it easy suburbs, and peaceful countryside.

So for me, Pennsylvania/Ohio.

Also, Missouri reminds me a lot of Ohio as well.

So what is your state's twin?
Pennsylvania and Missouri are more alike than Ohio, IMO. Older, historical, larger city in the east (St Louis/Philadelphia) versus slightly newer, different attitude city in the west (Kansas City/Pittsburgh). College town in the center (Columbia/State College). Capital in a slightly weird river city near the center (Jefferson City/Harrisburg). An industrial northwestern city (St Joseph/Erie). A more conservative southern city (Springfield/York). Domination by hills/mountains in the center (or south center in the case of Missouri). Major river running through the middle as well (Missouri/Susquehanna). Major river bordering the east (Mississippi/Delaware). Western city is at/near junction of two large rivers (Kansas-Missouri/Allegheny-Monongahela which turns into Ohio).

With that said, my home state of FL...whose obvious twin is California. I don't think I need to go into much detail there. lol

With my current state, Nebraska, I would say the twin is probably Kansas, but they're fraternal, not identical twins.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM

7,735 posts, read 8,794,471 times
North Carolina and Virginia

Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,448,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
They are in Dallas too!
Baton Rouge
Dallas
Houston
Los Angeles
Miami
New Orleans
Pensacola

All of these are similar in that situation, but the bolded ones IMO are the closest matches with Houston being more like SoCal and the Louisiana cities looking closer to the Florida cities

Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM

2,523 posts, read 1,891,933 times
I would say Texas and Cali are twins that took different paths in life but still have undenial similarities that say they are twins.

Similarities

Sheer size and land are
Population
Car culture
Highways
Strong migration patterns between the two states
They are the two most powerful states in the country (sorry NY but I give these two the edge)
Are top two in terms of Mexican population
Both in top three for asian population
They are four and five in terms of black population
Espanol es muy importante en ambos estados

Differences

Obviously politically different
Cali's culture is 100% West Coast while Texas' is much more southern influenced

Honestly, I can think of a lot more similarities between Texas and Cali than I can differences. It's just that the two differences I could think of tend to be the ones that us as a country seem to find most important. Therefore, Texas and California are seen as two different worlds.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:12 PM

298 posts, read 495,022 times
Washington's would definitely be Oregon. Oregon has somewhat of its own personality, so it's not like a clone of Washington, but they are non the less very similar states.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:53 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,409,895 times
I notice people saying Florida has part similar to California, but Texas has parts similar to Florida as well.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 PM

9,991 posts, read 9,678,524 times
Alabama and Mississppi are twins in appearance. Georgia is a brother or a sister to the 2.
Alabama, Georgia, Mississppi, Tennessee, and Louisiana are twins in the culture.
Alabama, Colorado, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Louisiana are twins in population.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,548,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Upstate New York and parts of Michigan have eerily similar place names. (Probably due to settlers coming from NY and taking the place names with them when they went to michigan.) Except, the sizes of the places are different, so it's kind of like Bizarro World version.

For example, in NY, Lansing is a small town, while in Michigan it's a city (and the capital). Other shared place names: Waverly, Oneida, Dewitt, Bath, Locke, Leroy, Aurelius, Onondaga, Brookfield, Eaton, Clarence... the list goes on and on. It's kind of creepy.

Yes you are right, lots of Michigan place names come from New York state. In the 1830s and 1840s most people that settled here were from New York. They used to call the eastern born Michigan residents "york staters" as there were so many of them. The opening of the Erie canal made it easy for people from New York to use the water route to go west. The travel time to Detroit and Chicago was cut by weeks with that canal. The influence of New York on Michigan was reduced however by waves of German immigrants that overwhelmed Michigan in the 1860s thru about 1900. The German influence, and some influence from the southern US (those who moved north for auto jobs) became a larger player in the cultural makeup of Michigan than were the original New York settlers. It is interesting though to look at a map of Michigan and New York and compare the common place names. No doubt there is a historical link between the two states, and the place names are the proof. I would say New York is a distant ancestor to Michigan, not a twin. Wisconsin is probably the closest Michigan has to a twin state.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,409,895 times
I'd say Mississippi and Louisana are more alike than Mississippi and Alabama.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,333,122 times
Georgia's closest state to a twin would be NC, as mentioned by some others on this thread. They both have beaches and mountains, and similar in culture. Only GA has one huge city and a few smaller cities, while NC has about 4 or 5 mid-sized cities. Overall, I think VA is more of NC's twin than GA. Another similar state to Georgia would be Michigan, except for the politics, climate, culture, economics, etc. They are both about the same size, and have one large metro of about 5 million people (and those cities get compared a lot, and not necessarily in good ways). Ann Arbor and Athens are comparable being college towns.

Other posters on here have mentioned CA and FL not having twins, but how about each other? Yeah, FL doesn't have mountains and desert, and CA doesn't have swamps, but they both have beaches, large cities, and Disney them parks. TX could also be a match with CA, with the exception of politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City