Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest Name Recognition: Atlanta or Philadelphia
Atlanta 55 50.93%
Philadelphia 53 49.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 PM

324 posts, read 656,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am a bit curious, you boast in the Atlanta vs Houston thread and then nothing here or as you say this was set up for Atlanta to lose; to the contrary in many ways I always feel that Philly is under-recognized especially relative to size, importance, and geographic sandwich. But I am curious why you say this was set up for Atlanta to lose?

The premise and verbage are identical to Atlanta vs. Houston thread so please explain?

Also I am not saying I dont love my city but you appear to also be quite the Atlanta booster and if you are a happy resident why not, but to say I put this here for Atlanta to lose? Then was the Houston vs Atlanta put there for Houston to lose, wouldn't that be basically the same premise? just curious...

Nope because its a better comparision. Through the history of City data any sunbelt city that is vs and Northern city is going to loose. These are the 3 main reason why they will loose. Urbaninty, transportation,History. Regardless even Atlanta or Houston can be in the top in every catergory, those cities still will not win a poll against the northern cities. Thats a fact.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:36 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
I love these. Having lived overseas for 9 years prior to moving to the U.S., I can tell you I had heard about neither of these cities.

Dallas? New York? L.A.? You betcha. Philly and Atlanta? Nope.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:09 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,869,527 times
I'm shocked more people visit Atlanta than Philly, I can't think of any reason to go allll the way to Atlanta from NJ.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times
I say Atlanta, Philadelphia is probably the biggest city that I least hear about

excluding sports teams for both cities..........

Atlanta is mentioned on CNN often, the real housewifes of Atlanta was just on tv, there are alot of rap artists out of Atlanta that mention it often, then there is the movie ATL that airs often. Coke comes from Atlanta, Atlanta is also one of the fastest growing metros.

I cant think of what makes me think of Philly other than cheesesteak and the movie Rocky but its not like that is on very often, maybe Will Smith.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,696,926 times
ATL does have more name recongnition; It's like a kid jumpuing around screaming "look at me, look at me, look at me, look how grown I am."

Philly's more like a wiley old man with a bottle of scotch and a newport saying "What the f**k you lookin at?"

Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 AM

2,830 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Atlanta has much more recognition than Philly. It's really not even close. Hell, probably most people in the country would assume that Atlanta is larger than Philly although that's not true.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Atlanta has much more recognition than Philly. It's really not even close. Hell, probably most people in the country would assume that Atlanta is larger than Philly although that's not true.
Imo you are totally offbase on this issue cdw.

Philadelphia was top 3 in population for 80% of this country's life span, top 5 for 99.9%. Good grief it is where the country originated. The First_____ in the USA happened in Philadlephia.

Atlanta has been a national economic factor for 25 years. Philadelphia has been an economic power for 300 years.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Philly is older, more historic, more recognizable, and it is the bigger city and metro area. Philly has a lot more to offer, also. Not to mention they have their own unique foods; for example, who hasn't heard of the famous Philly Cheesesteak, which cannot be duplicated outside of Philly?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Philly is older, more historic, more recognizable, and it is the bigger city and metro area. Philly has a lot more to offer, also. Not to mention they have their own unique foods; for example, who hasn't heard of the famous Philly Cheesesteak, which cannot be duplicated outside of Philly?
Yeah, we've heard of scrapple too. You can keep it.

Funny isn't it, that a mere upstart like Atlanta has more hotel rooms, more flights, more Fortune 500 HQ's, more visitors, more convention business and the only Federal Agency based outside of D.C.?

Times change.

History is history, but it certainly doesn't trump quality of life, a better business climate and much nicer weather.

People and corporations have been voting with their feet since the end of WWII.
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...08/story1.html

Last edited by johnatl; 04-05-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,043,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am a bit curious, you boast in the Atlanta vs Houston thread and then nothing here or as you say this was set up for Atlanta to lose; to the contrary in many ways I always feel that Philly is under-recognized especially relative to size, importance, and geographic sandwich. But I am curious why you say this was set up for Atlanta to lose?

The premise and verbage are identical to Atlanta vs. Houston thread so please explain?

Also I am not saying I dont love my city but you appear to also be quite the Atlanta booster and if you are a happy resident why not, but to say I put this here for Atlanta to lose? Then was the Houston vs Atlanta put there for Houston to lose, wouldn't that be basically the same premise? just curious...
below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Nope because its a better comparision. Through the history of City data any sunbelt city that is vs and Northern city is going to loose. These are the 3 main reason why they will loose. Urbaninty, transportation,History. Regardless even Atlanta or Houston can be in the top in every catergory, those cities still will not win a poll against the northern cities. Thats a fact.
Exactly
Houston is a sunbelt city, that thread Atlanta vs. Houston could have went either way, there are threads with Houston beating Atlanta there are threads with Atlanta beating Houston. But Philly is an east coast city and “going by the culture on city data” regardless if Atlanta vs. Philly is a good comparison more than likely Philly is going to win, I wouldn’t be surprise if this thread turns out to be a blow out in the long run.

I dare you to find one thread about something positive that Atlanta is beating Philly. or any sunbelt city that is comparable to an east coast city in size. infact sometimes smaller east coast city beat large sunbelt cities. This is city data culture at it's Finest atlanta-vs-pittsburgh. basicly DT pittsburgh beats DT Atlanta, MT Atlanta and buckhead Atlanta, all 3 are comparable to DT Pittsburgh alone.

And then I also pointed out, your calling comparing Atlanta to another city "boasting" but you started a thread with Atlanta in it. At one end your saying "Atlanta has nearly the population of Philly so from that perspective it could be a good comparison." then at the other end your saying Atlantans are boasting? ) in order to view Atlantans as boasting the comparing city most be significantly larger and be in a high Tier. This is why there are so many Houston vs. Dallas vs. Atlanta vs. Miami threads because city data posters are density freaks. It doesn’t matter if Houston GDP is larger than Boston, Boston is more important because it’s denser. )

It dosen't matter Atlanta is in the ten most visited cities, and top 10 US convention city and Philly is not, It doesn’t matter Atlanta gain more new international residents and it’s higher ranked as a global city. What matters is Philly is an east coast city and it’s denser therefore it beats Atlanta in everything city data culture I don’t why you started this thread. Philly is going to win this poll, more Recognition or not it’s regardless and probably going to win by a land slide.

Last edited by chiatldal; 04-05-2010 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City