Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that some posters make almost absurd comments about Los Angeles & seem to go out of their way to put it down. I am a little puzzled by the responses of many since their claims are anything but accurate. So I ask these questions:

1. What U.S. city is more liberal than Los Angeles and why?

2. What U.S. city has better cultural opportunities than Los Angeles and why? By culture I mean everything from "high brow" live plays, ballet, symphony, museums, etc. but also youth culture [skateboard, surfing, live music, nightclubs].

3. What U.S. city allows drug usage more than Los Angeles? Mainly marijuana.

4. What U.S. city has a greater degree of ethnic diversity than Los Angeles?

5. What U.S. city has a larger number of artists\ musicians\ writers\ actors than Los Angeles?

6. What U.S. city has a more pronounced gay community than Los Angeles?

All these questions are based on responses I've read on other threads. I've come to the conclusion that some people either don't know LA very well or just don't like it and make-up negative things. Why do so many people seem to hate Los Angeles?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
Personally I'm not a big fan of California or the west, but I like Los Angeles. I don't know why it's so hated. It is underrated IMO.

JUST MY TWO CENTS.!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:49 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
I don't think LA is hated, maybe some folks are jealous by the great weather and ocean/mountains. Not my favorite city but I am not sure why i would hate LA, maybe the Dodgers though

Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,696,926 times
The are two types of haters. The kind that hates cuz they've never been there(so they make their own assumptions), and the kind that hates because they wish they lived there, or at the very least wished their backwater suburb or town was more like LA.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
I LOVE L.A. If I don't make it out there at least twice a year, I'm not a happy camper.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:04 PM

924 posts, read 1,636,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The are two types of haters. The kind that hates cuz they've never been there(so they make their own assumptions), and the kind that hates because they wish they lived there, or at the very least wished their backwater suburb or town was more like LA.
Dude, it is possible that they just don't like it and have lived there.

I love L.A., but I recognize it's not for everyone.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 PM

698 posts, read 1,503,638 times
1. What U.S. city is more liberal than Los Angeles and why?

-San Francisco, Boston, D.C., New York, Seattle, Portland. Los Angeles while liberal very has strong conservative roots as well and its outter suberbs lean to the right.

2. What U.S. city has better cultural opportunities than Los Angeles and why? By culture I mean everything from "high brow" live plays, ballet, symphony, museums, etc. but also youth culture [skateboard, surfing, live music, nightclubs].

-L.A is a diverse city with lots to do, there is always something fun going on in the city of angels. NYC is probably the only city that can offer the same amount of cultural opportunities

-San Francisco/Bay Area, Seattle, Portland. The entire west coast is pretty lax towards drug usage. When I lived in Seattle, I smoked marijuana in front of several cops in my life and none of them even cared. My friend who works at a sandwich shop in the Fremont/Ballard neighborhood in Seattle gets tipped in weed by customers, most of whom are Google/Adobe employees.

-New York, but I would not be surprised if LA came out on top

5. What U.S. city has a larger number of artists\ musicians\ writers\ actors than Los Angeles?

-LA wins in this category, New York is close though

-San Francisco, Seattle has a higher percentage of gay people(15% for SF and 12% for Seattle) while Los Angeles has a larger population. New York tops LA in gay population.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:19 PM

698 posts, read 1,503,638 times
L.A. is a great city. If I could afford to rent a house on the beach that is where I would be

Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
[quote=HeyHolliday!;13578735]1. What U.S. city is more liberal than Los Angeles and why?

-San Francisco, Boston, D.C., New York, Seattle, Portland. Los Angeles while liberal very has strong conservative roots as well and its outter suberbs lean to the right.
How are these cities more liberal than Los Angeles? San Francisco is because the Green party is very strong & Republicans make up around 14% of the electorate. But how is Boston & NYC, also Seattle & Portland more liberal? New York often has Republican mayors & still busts people for possession of marijuana. Gay marriage has never even come up for a vote. My understanding of both Portland & Seattle are that they are the most progressive cities in their states because there aren't any other sizable cities. How do they differ in terms of liberalness? I think you are mistaking Orange County for Los Angeles [very very different counties!]

-L.A is a diverse city with lots to do, there is always something fun going on in the city of angels. NYC is probably the only city that can offer the same amount of cultural opportunities

-San Francisco/Bay Area, Seattle, Portland. The entire west coast is pretty lax towards drug usage. When I lived in Seattle, I smoked marijuana in front of several cops in my life and none of them even cared. My friend who works at a sandwich shop in the Fremont/Ballard neighborhood in Seattle gets tipped in weed by customers, most of whom are Google/Adobe employees.
How are Seattle & Portland more tolerant of marijuana use than Los Angeles? Both cities do not have marijuana dispensaries comparable to LA. Frankly there isn't any major city more open to marijuana culture than Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, etc. because California is about to legalize all marijuana in this election. California was the first state to recognize medical marijuana in 1996.

-New York, but I would not be surprised if LA came out on top
I'm pretty sure Los Angeles has more ethnicity than any other major U.S. cities but will look it up to make sure I am correct.

-LA wins in this category, New York is close though

-San Francisco, Seattle has a higher percentage of gay people(15% for SF and 12% for Seattle) while Los Angeles has a larger population. New York tops LA in gay population.

Thanks for the figures. I was referring to acceptance of gay lifestyle more than just sheer numbers of gay people. Los Angeles has probably done more to help gay Americans because television & movies [written, directed, produced in LA] has greatly effected the nation as a result.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 PM

305 posts, read 767,952 times
Nah... I don't think it's THE most hated. I've met people from out of state and even out of the country who show L.A. a lot of love.

But is it one of the most hated? Yeah, I'd think so. And without good reasons... which usually consist of:

- Angelenos don't value education.
- Angelenos are fake.
- Angelenos are uncultured.
- We're selfish.
- We have too many undocumented immigrants.
- We're the sole creators of garbage that makes it's way throughout the rest of the country.

And a ton of other excuses to show disdain towards us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City