Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

If you got that dough? LA. If you don't? Either Houston or Dallas would be fine. Heck, Austin and SA would be good also(Might even be better as far as that SoCal FEEL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,709 times
L.A is definitely worth the cost of living here. I am moving to Houston in a few months and I miss California already.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:49 PM

129 posts, read 264,314 times
It depends do you like a major city with a rural feeling to it, or do you want to live in a major city with allot of density. long beach feels like a quint and charming city like parts of Dallas.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Weighing variables, however important they are to you, of overall quality of life, affordability, aesthetic beauty, arts, culture, professional sports, great colleges, ease of international travel, whatever... Which of these three mega-cities would you rather live in?

Greater L.A. can include as far north as Ventura, as far south as San Luis Capistrano in Orange Co., and as far east as Redlands in the Inland Empire.

Houston can include as far north as Conroe and as far south as Brazoria and Galveston.

D/FW can be as far west as Weatherford, as far north as Denton County, as far south as Hillsboro, and as far east as Rockwall County.
Affordibility: Houston and Dallas would be the more affordable ones.
QoL: They're all really good in this aspect, all big city amenities are in these cities.
Arts: LA > Houston > Dallas, Houston Theater district is second largest after NYC, and one of the top 5 best. Houston has a decent music scene.
Culture: LA > Houston = Dallas
Professional Sports: Highly subjective, but the only one too have sports in every professional category is Dallas. Houston lacks NHL, LA lacks NFL. So Dallas > Houston = LA
Great Colleges: LA (UCLA, USC, Caltech) > Houston (Rice University) > Dallas
International Travel: LA = Houston = Dallas, no clear cut winner here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
If cost and economy arent an issue, LA. LA also is better for colleges and is the easiest to look at.

Otherwise, the economy is much better in Houston and DFW. They are very inexpensive.

What you can find in all three is ease of international travel. LAX, DFW, and Houston (Bush) all have flights to Europe, Central and South America, and Asia. You can find any kind of food youre looking for in all three places. You can find diversity of people in all three too.

I moved from LA (got laid off) and had a choice between DFW and Houston and I choose DFW as a matter of personal preference.
^^ LAnative, pretty much summed it up quite nicely. It all depends on where you want to be, what you can afford, and between Dallas and Houston if it comes down to those two, if you want to live on the coast or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by didi1981 View Post
L.A is definitely worth the cost of living here. I am moving to Houston in a few months and I miss California already.
Welcome to Houston! Let me know if you need any help finding something in the area or if you need any information.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM

92 posts, read 145,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Houston lacks NHL
Aeros.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame_excuse View Post
Aeros.
That's AHL though. But they're still a good team no doubt.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 PM

92 posts, read 145,751 times
Oh, I thought just a team in general. My bad.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:33 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Weighing variables, however important they are to you, of overall quality of life, affordability, aesthetic beauty, arts, culture, professional sports, great colleges, ease of international travel, whatever... Which of these three mega-cities would you rather live in?

Greater L.A. can include as far north as Ventura, as far south as San Luis Capistrano in Orange Co., and as far east as Redlands in the Inland Empire.

Houston can include as far north as Conroe and as far south as Brazoria and Galveston.

D/FW can be as far west as Weatherford, as far north as Denton County, as far south as Hillsboro, and as far east as Rockwall County.
The farthest county in D/FW is Delta county that is over 100 miles away from downtown Dallas.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
The farthest county in D/FW is Delta county that is over 100 miles away from downtown Dallas.
WTF?! 100 MILES?!?! That is one INSANE commute to work for those living there and working in downtown Dallas, if any of those people exist... I'm sure there are a few!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:40 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
WTF?! 100 MILES?!?! That is one INSANE commute to work for those living there and working in downtown Dallas, if any of those people exist... I'm sure there are a few!
The population of Delta County is 5,357.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City