U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 PM

4,115 posts, read 8,309,530 times

Advertisements

Weighing variables, however important they are to you, of overall quality of life, affordability, aesthetic beauty, arts, culture, professional sports, great colleges, ease of international travel, whatever... Which of these three mega-cities would you rather live in?

Greater L.A. can include as far north as Ventura, as far south as San Luis Capistrano in Orange Co., and as far east as Redlands in the Inland Empire.

Houston can include as far north as Conroe and as far south as Brazoria and Galveston.

D/FW can be as far west as Weatherford, as far north as Denton County, as far south as Hillsboro, and as far east as Rockwall County.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM

145 posts, read 302,116 times
Ooooh....good question, as I'm considering all 3 cities myself. I'm leaning towards Dallas personally, as I doubt I could afford to live comfortably in LA though and their economy seems to be very much on the decline right now.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 PM

12,913 posts, read 18,408,149 times
If cost and economy arent an issue, LA. LA also is better for colleges and is the easiest to look at.

Otherwise, the economy is much better in Houston and DFW. They are very inexpensive.

What you can find in all three is ease of international travel. LAX, DFW, and Houston (Bush) all have flights to Europe, Central and South America, and Asia. You can find any kind of food youre looking for in all three places. You can find diversity of people in all three too.

I moved from LA (got laid off) and had a choice between DFW and Houston and I choose DFW as a matter of personal preference.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:18 PM

15,989 posts, read 28,088,303 times
I think Dallas and Houston are pretty good alternatives to LA. Very different, but they offer lots of culture and activities. I don't think it would be a huge culture shock.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:32 PM

12,524 posts, read 20,907,607 times
Its a tie breaker between D/FW & Houston.

LA is a fun place to visit, but not to live.

For the money you save living in Texas, you could fly out to LA every weekend if you really wanted to. Its only a 2-2 1/2 hour flight.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 PM

571 posts, read 1,044,268 times
Climate, culture and overall feel - I'd say Houston is closer to LA than Dallas is.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,067,183 times
The final determination of favorability is that Los Angeles is in California and that automatically puts it ahead of any U.S. city.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 PM

12,913 posts, read 18,408,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
LA is a fun place to visit, but not to live.
It is a great place to live if you can afford it and have a decent job. In my opinion if that is the case, its the best place in the country to live. If not, Dallas and Houston are better alternatives.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 PM

12,524 posts, read 20,907,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Climate, culture and overall feel - I'd say Houston is closer to LA than Dallas is.
All three cities have totally different climates.

Houston can be cold/rainy during the winter, hot/humid during summer. Spring & Fall are the best seasons.

Dallas can ice over in the winter & be severely hot/dry, or hot/humid during the summer. Spring & Fall are the best seasons.

LA's weather seems to always be sunny & pleasant, especially further towards the coast you go.

That said, Houston "feels" & looks the most like LA-SoCal culturally & geographically because they're both near the ocean & are both Sun Belt cities. Their skylines & freeways even look very similar.

I think what shocked me the most about my first visit to LA last summer was how flat much of the city was in most parts. I had always thought the whole city was hilly & mountainous, but its not.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 PM

3,994 posts, read 7,914,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I think what shocked me the most about my first visit to LA last summer was how flat much of the city was in most parts. I had always thought the whole city was hilly & mountainous, but its not.
In Orange County, I thought I was back in Houston because I couldn't see the Saddlebacks behind the clouds. That place is as flat as a pancake.

Live in L.A. if you can afford it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City