Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times

Advertisements

When did the measure of a good city become having black and Oriental populations?

There is nothing wrong with those groups, but it's so absurd how it's almost a negative slur to call a city "too white" on here. God forbid someone ever called a city "too black".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:58 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
In the Seattle area, whites make up about 75% of the population. The highest concentration of latinos are in the Everett area, and outside of there, asians constitute the greatest percentage of minorities. So, in terms of demographics, it's not that diverse. However, I will say that the asian minority, and to a growing extent the hispanic minority, are making their presence felt more than any other. Regional differences will persist, like near the native americans' reservations, but the large population centers have a definite more asian feel than any other ethnic group.

If you include Vancouver, BC, then that's a different story. There's a very diverse group of people there - Far East Asian, Southern Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern & N. African, European, African, they're all there.

The New England area obviously is more diverse than the PNW because of NYC, Philly, Boston and DC. If you talk about NNE, then I can't talk to that because I've never been there.
The OP is referring specifically to new England, not the northeast in general. NYC, Philly, and DC are part of the mid-Atlantic, not new England.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
They're both really progressive and in corners of the US, but I don't find them that similar.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 PM

324 posts, read 669,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
For as long as I could remember, I've always felt akin to the Pacific Northwest (being a native New Englander).

I figured there must be a reason for that, and I'd like to know why.

So let's compare and contrast America's northern corners.

Maybe it's because we're tucked away from the fray of the rest of the country?
Maybe it's the rocky coastlines and vast interiors?
Maybe it's the people who make the most of their volatile climate?
Maybe because of Frasier? Moving from Boston to Seattle. j/k.

So any thoughts will be appreciated.
The two regions are known for being very liberal and intellectual.

The main difference between the two regions is their daily activities and weather. The Pacific Northwest is known for being more into outdoor activities.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:05 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
I could have sworn that NY was a part of New England, or are you saying that only upstate is a part of New England?

Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 AM

593 posts, read 1,762,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I could have sworn that NY was a part of New England, or are you saying that only upstate is a part of New England?
Our educational system is failing us!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:
Really? Seriously?

To call New York, any part, a part of New England is usually an insult to New Englanders. Never ever was NY part of New England.

New England = ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT

jeesh!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
New England is comprised of the states of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:26 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
The two regions are known for being very liberal and intellectual.

The main difference between the two regions is their daily activities and weather. The Pacific Northwest is known for being more into outdoor activities.
Maybe the PNW is more known for being into outdoor activities but New England is actually a great place for anything outdoorsy and many many many people are "into" it.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:53 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Wink Skeletons in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Really? Seriously?

To call New York, any part, a part of New England is usually an insult to New Englanders. Never ever was NY part of New England.

New England = ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT

jeesh!
Actually I hate to get you upset but New York was briefly considered part of New England at one time. From the conquest of New Netherland to the collaspe of the Dominion of New England in 1689.

Parts of New England today like the western half of Connecticut, the Berkshires, the Massachusetts Islands, part of Maine (!) and ALL OF VERMONT were once either claimed by New Netherland or actually part of the Province of New York. Even today the New York and Vermont borders with French Canada are exactly the same distance north.

I hope you do not feel that insulted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City