Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 AM

324 posts, read 668,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You know what's crazy. One minute these same people claiming southerners are trying to emulate their fashion and culture are the main ones claiming were backwards, rednecks, and unfashionable. Perhaps the latter is part of NYC's influence on us???
The keyword in this post is "TRYING".

A perfect example...... I wore a specific brand/genre/type of shirt to Atlanta when I visited about 5 yrs ago. This trend just came out and was hot in NY, only out for about 6 months. I did not see it in Atlanta on my vist, but I came back a year later and everyone had it. Guess what? This trend was already old in NY.

They do emuLATE, but they are late doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 AM

492 posts, read 1,026,903 times
This topic is kind of silly to me, like how can you really decide who has the strongest sense of identity. I think each region is as equally strong with their sense of identity. Thats why we can separate regions.

But I think people from the NE, specifically NYC area, are the most outspoken/arrogant. Just by reading the posts in this thread alone you can tell they are a trip. Its almost unreal to see how people can feel above or better than others based off of the silliest things. You are not superhumans or anything. You eat, sleep, sh*t, laugh, cry, bleed, and will die just like the rest of us.

People who dont live in NYC or the NE are not walking around miserable wishing they were there or from NYC. Many people throughout the country actually live better lives than those in NYC. But its not to take anything away from the city. It is what it is. A global city. But that has nothing to do with you as an individual. It doesnt make you elite or anything.

I honestly dont understand the bashing and hate for other regions. You just come off as insecure, childish, and hateful. Seriously, each place is nice in its own right. People in the South, NY, West Coast, etc. are happy and living life. Its not that serious.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I don't like cheesteaks and tastycakes, and Jamaican food because I'm from philly. I like em' because thats what my family raised me on. I don't look to philly for culture, philly looks to me, and people like me, and families like mine for culture.

You have it backwards, a city is just a collection of buildings and tranportation infrastructure, it doesn't give anybody culture, its the people from that city that give it its culture.

I guarantee that native new yorkers know this. Transplants on C-D just don't seem to know when to be quiet.

Everyone has culture, even someone who lives in the middle of nowhere, Thier's is the culture of "the middle of nowhere".
100% truth.
I hate when transplants move in and think that they automatically have the culture and then look down on others.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
This topic is kind of silly to me, like how can you really decide who has the strongest sense of identity. I think each region is as equally strong with their sense of identity. Thats why we can separate regions.

But I think people from the NE, specifically NYC area, are the most outspoken/arrogant. Just by reading the posts in this thread alone you can tell they are a trip. Its almost unreal to see how people can feel above or better than others off of the silliest things. You are not superhumans or anything. You eat, sleep, sh*t, laugh, cry, bleed, and will die just like the rest of us.

People who dont live in NYC or the NE are not walking around miserable wishing they were there or from NYC. Many actually live better lives than those in NYC. But its not to take anything away from the city. It is what it is. A global city. But that has nothing to do with you as an individual. It doesnt make you elite or anything.

I honestly dont understand the bashing and hate for other regions. You just come off as insecure, childish, and hateful. Seriously, each place is nice in its own right. People in the South, NY, West Coast, etc. are happy and living life. Its not that serious.
Excellent post Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 04-07-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Discussing rep in the forum is not allowed per the TOS.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
The keyword in this post is "TRYING".

A perfect example...... I wore a specific brand/genre/type of shirt to Atlanta when I visited about 5 yrs ago. This trend just came out and was hot in NY, only out for about 6 months. I did not see it in Atlanta on my vist, but I came back a year later and everyone had it. Guess what? This trend was already old in NY.

They do emuLATE, but they are late doing it.
Yeah because I'm sure you saw all of the 5+ million people that live in ATL.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM

324 posts, read 668,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah because I'm sure you saw all of the 5+ million people that live in ATL.
Did I state "I have seen all 5 million people"? I spent time all over Atlanta metro on the trip and didn't see this trend once.

I have a question....... I noticed in another post admitting to never visiting NYC.

So, how could someone possibly know the influence or strength of it's identity if they have never experienced the actual city?

Last edited by TheCity; 04-07-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
I would have to go with New England as well. I've never seen a region so ate up with their sports teams in my life. It's as though their sense of identity is attached to the Red Sox and Patriots. I grew up in NYC, and if the Yankees beat the Red Sox in a regular season game it was just another day in NY. When the Red Sox beat the Yankees all of New England acts as though they just won the lottery. Not just the guys either, it's men, women and children of all ages. It's everywhere. I got to the barhershop to get a haircut and it's Red Sox, come to work and it's Yankees suck, go anywhere out in public and the region wraps itself around it's sports franchises, clam chowder, and lobsters.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
The South, as it has the most to be proud of with more unique history, culture, music, food, and scenery than anywhere else, and great sense of independence.
Since you're not from the South you probably aren't aware of this, but many Southerners, many right in these forums, say that there is no such thing as a "Southern Culture". For example:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13624705-post60.html
Quote:
Yesterday, 07:44 PM
[SIZE=5]dmagoku[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny
So there is no such thing as a "Southern Culture" that is shared at least to a point by those cities (excluding Miami)??? ...
It's amazing to me how "Southern culture" all of a sudden is a fictitious, non-existent thing when it might not work to someone's cultural agenda.
It is about at fictitious as "black culture". As if all people of African decent adhere to a monolithic culture. Who cares about what some dude named Tim Jacobson said. Even Wiki says the notion is silly:

The southern lifestyle, especially in the Deep South, is often joked about. Southerners are often viewed as more laid back, and relaxed even in stressed situations. That, of course, is a stereotype, and not always the case, but, traditionally, southerners' lifestyles are viewed as slower paced.Southern hospitality. Southerners are also stereotyped as being resistant to change, especially on social issues. Southerners are also described as polite, non-direct in speech, and well-mannered, and particularly welcoming to visitors; this characteristic has been labeled.

The South's musical history actually starts before the Civil War, with the songs of the African slaves and the traditional folk music brought from Great Britain and Ireland[citation needed]. Blues was developed in the rural South by African Americans at the beginning of the 20th century. In addition, gospel music, spirituals, country music, rhythm and blues, soul music, funk, rock and roll, beach music, bluegrass, jazz (including ragtime, popularized by Southerner Scott Joplin), zydeco, and Appalachian folk music were either born in the South or developed in the region.

I guess all those genres of music are "southern" too?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Did I state "I have seen all 5 million people"? I spent time all over Atlanta metro on the trip and didn't see this trend once.

I have a question....... I noticed in another post admitting to never visiting NYC.

So, how could someone possibly know the influence or strength of it's identity if they have never experienced the actual city?
It was interesting to me to see so many more Yankees caps in Atlanta than Braves caps...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Since you're not from the South you probably aren't aware of this, but many Southerners, many right in these forums, say that there is no such thing as a "Southern Culture". For example:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13624705-post60.html
No, there is southern culture. It's just not the "monolithic" one piece that you want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City