Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the more dominant mid-sized city that will be a major city first?
Austin 116 36.71%
Charlotte 101 31.96%
Columbus 27 8.54%
Indianapolis 26 8.23%
Sacramento 46 14.56%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 PM

128 posts, read 273,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
UT Austin is very much an acclaimed and well known university, but it lacks the "Power House" status, credentials and universal recognition of Ohio State University in Columbus.
O.S.U. is enormous, it also plays a very prominent role in this city, region and indeed the entire state.
UT @ Austin doesn't have the same scope of broad reaching influence.
Also, academically speaking, Ohio State is one of the best universities in the entire country.
Ok I just had to laugh at that. I don't know of a single program that OSU ranks higher than UT Austin for and UT is ranked higher overall by any source. Then again, I've not looked at everything, but that is the case for everything I am familiar with. For example, every business major and the business school overall, computer science, the engineering school, and architecture school are all top top 10 nationally for undergrad. I know other programs are ranked highly that I don't know a number for, such as their communication school and economics program. the MPA program has been #1 for like two decades, and the graduate law and business programs are top 20 at UT. OSU doesn't even come close in any of those rankings, so if you ask anyone besides this OSU grad, UT Austin is a heck of a lot more of a "best university in the entire country" than OSU.

So yes, I would say Austin has that going for them.

However, I still think Charlotte might be the best of these cities. Austin has more tech, but Charlotte has more financial. A big issue is simply that Austin is a couple of hours away from two huge cities, Dallas and Houston, which soak up potential regional or North American corporate branches of national and international companies like sponges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
^^ I would also like to add that when he says that "OSU has more regional impact" Well 92% of UT's students are in state student's and you'd best believe that MAJORITY of them come from other locations in the state. So both regionally for ATX and Texas overall UT- Austin has more impact than I think OSU does.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post
Ok I just had to laugh at that. I don't know of a single program that OSU ranks higher than UT Austin for and UT is ranked higher overall by any source. Then again, I've not looked at everything, but that is the case for everything I am familiar with. For example, every business major and the business school overall, computer science, the engineering school, and architecture school are all top top 10 nationally for undergrad. I know other programs are ranked highly that I don't know a number for, such as their communication school and economics program. the MPA program has been #1 for like two decades, and the graduate law and business programs are top 20 at UT. OSU doesn't even come close in any of those rankings, so if you ask anyone besides this OSU grad, UT Austin is a heck of a lot more of a "best university in the entire country" than OSU.

So yes, I would say Austin has that going for them.

However, I still think Charlotte might be the best of these cities. Austin has more tech, but Charlotte has more financial. A big issue is simply that Austin is a couple of hours away from two huge cities, Dallas and Houston, which soak up potential regional or North American corporate branches of national and international companies like sponges.
I wouldn't throw Ohio State under the bus. Obviously you are a UT supporter which is great, but I see a lot of similarities between the two universites. Let alone with Columbus and Austin. Both capital cities that are growing and proving to everyone they can compete on a national level. Although Columbus' economy is more diverse.

OSU is not some flyover university.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I wouldn't throw Ohio State under the bus. Obviously you are a UT supporter which is great, but I see a lot of similarities between the two universites. Let alone with Columbus and Austin. Both capital cities that are growing and proving to everyone they can compete on a national level. Although Columbus' economy is more diverse.

OSU is not some flyover university.
Yeah, OSU is no joke at all. I think the case is being made that UT-Austin may be more higher tier than OSU. I think that is an accurate statement, which does not take away from OSU being a wonderful school.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM

128 posts, read 273,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Yeah, OSU is no joke at all. I think the case is being made that UT-Austin may be more higher tier than OSU. I think that is an accurate statement, which does not take away from OSU being a wonderful school.
Oh yeah, it's a good school for sure. I just thought it was funny how that poster threw UT Austin under the bus while praising how nationally acclaimed he/she thinks OSU is when the academics at UT Austin are actually considered significantly better by other sources.

So anyway, how about those cities?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post
Oh yeah, it's a good school for sure. I just thought it was funny how that poster threw UT Austin under the bus while praising how nationally acclaimed he/she thinks OSU is when the academics at UT Austin are actually considered significantly better by other sources.

So anyway, how about those cities?
Yeah, back to the cities. I'm actually surprised that Columbus and Indianapolis have as little votes as they have. What's with the anti-Midwest bias?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Yeah, back to the cities. I'm actually surprised that Columbus and Indianapolis have as little votes as they have. What's with the anti-Midwest bias?
Yeah, that's what I thought when I first saw this thread as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Quote:
People do not know that much about them. I don't mind that either. Both cities keep steady growth. They aren't booming/busting like a lot of steadily growing cities did. They have great, diverse economies, and continue to bring in new forms of urbanitity.

I guess people just don't know anything or a lot about them, so they vote for the ones they do know.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
People do not know that much about them. I don't mind that either. Both cities keep steady growth. They aren't booming/busting like a lot of steadily growing cities did. They have great, diverse economies, and continue to bring in new forms of urbanitity.

I guess people just don't know anything or a lot about them, so they vote for the ones they do know.
I guess so. I'm a big homer for Charlotte, but I don't feel that Charlotte is that far ahead of these cities as the poll suggests, if even at all.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Sacramento.
I never been there, but it seems more appealing then the rest of the cities listed. However, Charlotte is a close second...I'll let the other cities be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City