Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the more dominant mid-sized city that will be a major city first?
Austin 116 36.71%
Charlotte 101 31.96%
Columbus 27 8.54%
Indianapolis 26 8.23%
Sacramento 46 14.56%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:16 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
What I was responding to, is that there are no "well known" or prolificly scenic areas that are immediately adjacent to Indianapolis.
I get that, but that would be true of Columbus as well (unless you see 60 minutes away as "adjacent").

C'mon, man. Indy and Columbus are twins. We gotta stand up for each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 PM

224 posts, read 605,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
None taken by me,

How far is Charlotte or Austin from these outdoor activities you speak of?

Sacramento: Driving by car to:

In town: rivers and lakes, parks, rafting, paddling, small craft sailing, clean mountain fed river - American River. Golfing, cycling.

30 mins: Sacaramento River Delta (south): Waterfowl hunting, boating, fishing.

30-45 mins: Sierra Foothills (east) (2,000 to 4,000 ft), world class white water rafting. Forests, hiking, camping. Outdoor Target shooting.

1hr- Coastal Valleys & NapaValley (west) - beautiful wine growning region, hills and valleys, world-class dining.

1hr ½ - Bay Area attractions, coastal mountains (1,000 – 4,000 ft), thick redwood forests.

1hr, 45min – SF, world class urban beauty.

2hrs – Pacific beaches & coast (west)– surfing, sailing, boating, ocean fishing. Sierras & Lake Tahoe (5,000-11,000ft), Dozens of world class ski resorts, winter mountain sports, summer rock climbing and hiking, camping.

3hrs – Splendor of Yosemite (southeast) (Sierra mountains & valleys), camping, hiking, world-class climbing. The stunning coast of Santa Cruz & Monterey Counties (southwest) (Carmel, Big Sur). Surfing, sailing, deep sea diving & fishing, hang gliding, climbing, camping. Eastern Slope of Sierras.- Big Game hunting, camping, hiking.
Sacramento is really amazing jumping off point for activities, I have family in Citrus Heights, its a nice area. Been a huge fan of sac for years.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
I was not intending any disrespect to any memebers, but merely pointing out just on scale alone you would have more outdoor opertunities. Ski/Snowboarding, boating, mountain biking, fishing,hiking,rock climbing,camping mountaineering ect. I just dont see that getting beat by the Appalachian mountains. I don't think you would be sore for great outdoor activities in any of the named cities , so lets just enjoy them for what they are.
No disrespect was taken. I encourage you to come down and check ut the Apps for yourself. You'll find them more entertaining than you think. I remeber comapring the Sandia Mtns of NM to the Apps, and I thought the Sanidas easily eclipsed the Apps. But then going back up there and experiencing the App culture, the outdoor recreation over there, etc. You'll actually enjoy the tree filled mountains alot, especially during the Fall.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
None taken by me,

How far is Charlotte or Austin from these outdoor activities you speak of?

In town: rivers and lakes, parks, rafting, paddling, small craft sailing, clean mountain fed river - American River. Golfing, cycling.

30-45 mins: Sierra Foothills (east) (2,000 to 4,000 ft), world class white water rafting. Forests, hiking, camping. Outdoor Target shooting.

1hr- Coastal Valleys & NapaValley (west) - beautiful wine growning region, hills and valleys, world-class dining.

1hr ½ - Bay Area attractions, coastal mountains (1,000 – 4,000 ft), thick redwood forests.

1hr, 45min – SF, world class urban beauty.

2hrs – Pacific beaches & coast (west)– surfing, sailing, boating, ocean fishing. Sierras & Lake Tahoe (5,000-11,000ft), Dozens of world class ski resorts, winter mountain sports, summer rock climbing and hiking, camping.

3hrs – Splendor of Yosemite (southeast) (Sierra mountains & valleys), camping, hiking, world-class climbing. The stunning coast of Santa Cruz & Monterey Counties (southwest) (Carmel, Big Sur). Surfing, sailing, deep sea diving & fishing, hang gliding, climbing, camping. Eastern Slope of Sierras.- Big Game hunting, camping, hiking.
I would say in town/metro nothing extraordinary, but this is the Piedmont which is a sort of a plateau and rolling hills. On the outskirts of town (about 45minutes) you have Crowders Mountain. About 1-2 hours on the West you have access to the Appalachain muntains and on the East the National Uwharrie Park. About 3-4 hours to the East you have the beaches of NC and SC, and to the West, the World Class city of the Southeast-Atlanta.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I get that, but that would be true of Columbus as well (unless you see 60 minutes away as "adjacent").

Especially on this thread. With C-bus and Indy combine, y'all barely get above Sac-town in this thread. Which actually surprised me. IMO, Indy probably has the most urban core out of all the cities listed.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

I gotcha back, bro!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
I added a few things, Sacramento is an unkept secret and maligned by outsiders and other Californians who dont know better and people who dont understand what makes Sacramento tick, imo, above all else it's our connection with non-urban outdoor attractions that really defines a real Sacramentan. For some reason we don't care about being nationally known or recognized in the Austin/Portland sense. For a truely world-class urban experience we have SF, but that doesnt mean there isn't an urban vibe here.

In town: rivers and lakes, parks, rafting, paddling, small craft sailing, clean mountain fed river - American River flows through all of Sacramento County. Golfing, cycling, hills in far eastern suburbs. Sacramento River - watercraft sports, boating, waterskiing, fishing. Folsom Lake - big clean mountain fed lake, watercraft sports, boating. No poisonous snakes in our waterways. Great bike trails all around the metro.

1hr, 45minSF, world class urban beauty.

2hrs Pacific beaches & coast (west)– surfing, sailing, boating, ocean fishing. Sierras & Lake Tahoe (5,000-11,000ft), Dozens of world class ski resorts, winter mountain sports, summer rock climbing and hiking, camping.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I would say in town/metro nothing extraordinary, but this is the Piedmont which is a sort of a plateau and rolling hills. On the outskirts of town (about 45minutes) you have Crowders Mountain. About 1-2 hours on the West you have access to the Appalachain muntains and on the East the National Uwharrie Park. About 3-4 hours to the East you have the beaches of NC and SC, and to the West, the World Class city of the Southeast-Atlanta.
So how exactly far are you from a really nice beach in NC/SC?

How far exactly is Atlanta?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So how exactly far are you from a really nice beach in NC/SC?

How far exactly is Atlanta?
I hear most say about 3 hours from the beach. I'm not a real beachy person, so that is based on what I hear. From ATL, we're about 3.5 hours, but I make it in 3.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM

I'm recently on this warehouse district fix. Charlotte has one in Southend, and probably another along Morehead street. What about Austin, Indy, Cbus, and Sactown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City