U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,984,331 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows that when the temperature rises, and school is out crime tends to too increase, In some cities summer is also known as the "killing" season. My question is which cities do you think have it the worse?

IMO it would be NYC, even though its not nearly as bad as it used to be, so many people living so close together under such humidity, bad things are bound to happen. New Orleans is another city that comes to mind when I think of heat induced crime waves, but I'm sure it happens in all cities though not necessarily to the same degree for every city.

Personally thats why I prefer winter, and am not looking foward to summer.
They're starting early this summer.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 04-07-2010 at 12:38 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 AM

73 posts, read 117,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Everyone knows that when the temperature rises, and school is out crime tends to too increase, In some cities summer is also known as the "killing" season. My question is which cities do you think have it the worse?

IMO it would be NYC, even though its not nearly as bad as it used to be, so many people living so close together under such humidity, bad things are bound to happen. New Orleans is another city that comes to mind when I think of heat induced crime waves, but I'm sure it happens in all cities though not necessarily to the same degree for every city.

Personally thats why I prefer winter, and am not looking foward to summer.
They're starting early this summer.
There is no opinion, only facts.

New York City is the safest large city in the United States year round.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:00 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
I like summer WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than winter. You just gotta know the places to avoid. But worst cities for Killing season, would probably be somewhere down south(NO, Memphis, Baton Rouge, Jax, Miami, Dallas, Houston, ATL), or somewhere in the DENSE north(Philly, Camden, Newark, Bmore, DC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Buffalo, NYC????Maybe)

Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SV View Post

Yea, but it just recently (within the past decade or so) got that way. Native new yorkers probably still remember the 80's in haunting detail.

And don't nobody feel like looking up exact numbers.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Yea, but it just recently (within the past decade or so) got that way. Native new yorkers probably still remember the 80's in haunting detail.
Native Miamians remember Miami in the 80's, native Houstonians remember Houston in the 80's, native Angelinos remember Los Angeles in 80's, Native Chicagoans remember Chicago in the 80's, the point I'm trying to make is, there were like a trillion different murder capitals from the late 70's to the early 90's, I don't think NYC was much worse.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Native Miamians remember Miami in the 80's, native Houstonians remember Houston in the 80's, native Angelinos remember Los Angeles in 80's, Native Chicagoans remember Chicago in the 80's, the point I'm trying to make is, there were like a trillion different murder capitals from the late 70's to the early 90's, I don't think NYC was much worse.
Miami was on a whole nother in the 80's. None of those other cities even came close to the carnage seen in miami in the early 80's. Every where was bad, but not everywhere was the murder cap.

NYC in 2010 is kept relatively peaceful through stringent gun laws, and harsh punishments.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Miami was on a whole nother in the 80's. None of those other cities even came close to the carnage seen in miami in the early 80's. Every where was bad, but not everywhere was the murder cap.

NYC in 2010 is kept relatively peaceful through stringent gun laws, and harsh punishments.
That's what I heard is keeping NYC's murder rate down. The South has more relaxed gun laws, BUT the South also has harsher punishments for crimes, YET the cities down here are still much higher in Murder and overall crime rates. Especially when you think of cities like Houston and Dallas, Texas has some of the harshest punishments in the WHOLE US for crimes, and in Florida they have those "Use A Gun And It's 10-20-LIFE"(10yrs 20yrs to LIFE)" billboards in EVERY underprivileged, dangerous, notorious and ghetto neighborhood from Jacksonville to Southern Miami-Dade and EVERYWHERE in-between. Yet none of this has really helped.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,847,487 times
Quote:

this person obviously hasn't been to new york city.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,847,487 times
Quote:

instead of reading your statistics nerd. how about you come to nyc and live in the south bronx , upper manhattan past 96th on the east and past 125th on the west , north/east/central brooklyn , northern staten island , parts of southern queens(jamaica/south jamaica/far rockaway) , and parts of northern queens(elmhurst/corona) in the summer time and then we will see how much you brag about nyc being safe.

sometimes you got to hate geeks and nerds all their so called facts are from the internet but they never actually explore anywhere actually silly virgins.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
this person obviously hasn't been to new york city.
FBI CRIME STATISTICS SHOW THAT NEW YORK HAS THE LOWEST CRIME RATE OF MAJOR U.S. CITIES - NYPOST.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or