Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

339 posts, read 2,201,173 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. What are your top 5 cities for all sorts of board sports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,318,361 times
Pretty much any city in SoCal is likely the best for board sports activities than anywhere else in the U.S.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,752,303 times
NJ is great for board sports as you can surf, wakeboard, skimboard, snowboard, longboard, etc. in our state. For snowboarding the season's limited to the winter, but for the others it's year-round or close to it (there is some good winter surf into Nov. and sometimes Dec. here). Skateboarding is year-round because we do have some indoor skate parks in addition to outdoor. There is a good chance we may have a year-round indoor snow slope soon for snowboarding year round, too.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 PM

902 posts, read 2,775,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Pretty much any city in SoCal is likely the best for board sports activities than anywhere else in the U.S.
any city in California for that matter, SF is often considered the skate board capital.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
any city in California for that matter, SF is often considered the skate board capital.
Right, in-fact most of the board sports started in California anyway. Another cultural gift California has given the world! But do people actually skateboard down the steep hills in San Francisco? That would be a blast to watch!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,752,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Right, in-fact most of the board sports started in California anyway. Another cultural gift California has given the world! But do people actually skateboard down the steep hills in San Francisco? That would be a blast to watch!
I one time saw someone skateboard down one of those hills but it was the last 40 feet or so, so I don't know where he started - I doubt it was from the top. Still, I thought he was nuts, but he swooped right onto the next street without getting hit - no cars were coming, but I don't know how he knew that, or how he would have stopped if there was a car coming.

Also, I saw an incredible skate park in Milpitas when I worked there. Also still, "dogtown" is Santa Cruz, arguably the epicenter of modern skateboard culture.

CA is definitely the best for "board" sports, right down to the weather.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 PM

902 posts, read 2,775,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I one time saw someone skateboard down one of those hills but it was the last 40 feet or so, so I don't know where he started - I doubt it was from the top. Still, I thought he was nuts, but he swooped right onto the next street without getting hit - no cars were coming, but I don't know how he knew that, or how he would have stopped if there was a car coming.

Also, I saw an incredible skate park in Milpitas when I worked there. Also still, "dogtown" is Santa Cruz, arguably the epicenter of modern skateboard culture.

CA is definitely the best for "board" sports, right down to the weather.
That person must have a death wish. LOL. Yeah the Vans Skate park in Milpitas is huge, although I am not sure that it is in use anymore. Yeah Santa Cruz is Dogtown, but there is also another dogtown in Northern California in Marin County called Bolinas.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 PM

339 posts, read 2,201,173 times
There's more to boarding than skateboarding, Cali people ITT...

Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
I love snowboarding in Texas.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,290,556 times
Yeah, most in California. Surfing and kiteboarding and such in the ocean and bays. Wakeboarding and waterskiing in the tons of lakes. Snowboarding and skiing from the Cascades down through the Sierra and to the San Gabriel mountains. The various skate meccas of SF, SJ, Santa Cruz, Oxnard, SFV, Venice and probably San Diego, too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City