U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which cities are located in which regions? Select one region for each city or vote for both if city
Cincinatti, OH - Midwest 50 86.21%
Cincinatti, OH - Southeast 4 6.90%
Kansas City, MO - Midwest 53 91.38%
Kansas City, MO - Southeast 1 1.72%
Louisville, KY - Midwest 16 27.59%
Louisville, KY - Southeast 38 65.52%
St. Louis, MO - Midwest 50 86.21%
St. Louis, MO - Southeast 4 6.90%
Wilmington, DE - Northeast 51 87.93%
Wilmington, DE - Southeast 3 5.17%
Baltimore, MD - Northeast 52 89.66%
Baltimore, MD - Southeast 5 8.62%
Pittsburgh, PA - Northeast 42 72.41%
Pittsburgh, PA - MidWest 16 27.59%
Washington D.C. - Northeast 46 79.31%
Washington D.C. - Southeast 9 15.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,175,292 times
Default Border Cities

I've found it interesting the number of major cities in this country located on state/country borders, and whose Metro areas spill across these borders. It wasn't until relatively recently that I realized San Diego, CA shared a border and Metro Area with Tijuana, Mexico or that Detroit, shared a border and Metro Area with Windsor, Canada.

Is this just by coincidence? A lot of these borders are located on rivers, and most major cities are almost always locaed near bodies of water so I guess that would explain a lot.

A number of these cities, such as Cincinatti, Ohio are also located on regional boundaries. The poll above is focused on just these cities, since it's obvious to determine which state or country a city belongs to. Obviously, all of them share qualities and charachteristics of the regions they seperate, cultural and otherwise, but I thought it would be interesting to see which one people think they truly belong to. Of course you can just go by the state they're in, but how accurate is that in reality?

Here's a full list of all the major border cities I could find, please post more if I missed any:

US:
- Boston, MA and New Hampshire
- Providence, Rhode Island and Massachusetts
- Springfield, Massachusetts and Connecticut
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- New York City and Connecticut and New Jersey
- Wilmington, Delaware and New Jersey
- Washington DC and Maryland and Virginia
- Charlotte, North Carlolina and South Carolina
- Augusta, Georgia and South Carolina
- Memphis, Tennessee and Mississippi and Arkansas
- Louisville, Kentucky and Indiana
- Evansville, Indiana and Kentucky
- Cincinnati, Ohio and Kentucky
- Toledo, Ohio and Michigan
- Chicago, Illinois and Indiana
- St. Louis, Missouri and East St. Louis, Illinois
- Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
- Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota
- Duluth, Minnesota and Superior, Wisconsin
- Portland, Oregon and Washington State

International:
-Detroit, Michigan and Windsor, Ontario
-El Paso, Texas and Juárez, Mexico
-San Diego, California and Tijuana, Mexico
-Vancouver, British Columbia and Washington State (sort of)
-Buffalo, NY and Ontario, Canada

*Baltimore and Pittsburgh included in poll due to their location being disputed.

Last edited by cpterp; 04-07-2010 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,330,365 times
I think some of Boston spills over into New Hampshire. Don't forget Buffalo either!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,175,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I think some of Boston spills over into New Hampshire. Don't forget Buffalo either!
Thanks! Can't believe I forgot Buffalo, although Boston technically doesn't border NH, but I'll include it anyway.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,330,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Thanks! Can't believe I forgot Buffalo, although Boston technically doesn't border NH, but I'll include it anyway.
I think Boston is similar to Baltimore's case. It is sprawly and sprawls close to state borders.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:01 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,737,912 times
WOW, none of the cities you mentioned are even close to being Southeastern as the poll shows.

Waste of a thread. Most people know that right off the back.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 AM

463 posts, read 937,631 times
Cincinatti, Kansas City, St. Louis = Midwest
Louisville = Southeast
Washington D.C., Baltimore, Wilmington, Pittsburgh = Northeast

Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,088,550 times
Isn't Cincinnati a lot closer to Pittsburgh than to even Indianapolis? I always thought of both Cincinnati & Columbus as being borderline "Northeast" not the Midwest. Another region Ohio cities could be classified as is the Great Lakes Region [esp Cleveland].

Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM

463 posts, read 937,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Isn't Cincinnati a lot closer to Pittsburgh than to even Indianapolis? I always thought of both Cincinnati & Columbus as being borderline "Northeast" not the Midwest. Another region Ohio cities could be classified as is the Great Lakes Region [esp Cleveland].
Ohio has always been an interesting case. I think Ohio definitely has more Eastern overtones as compared to states like Illinois or Wisconson, but on the whole I think it is solidly midwestern.

However, one could make the argument that there is a "northern Appelacia (sp)" region that seperates the Midwest and Northeast that includes parts of eastern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and northern West Virginia. However, I would hesitate to put even Pittsburgh in that category because its achiatecture is still distinctly Northeast.

On the same token, towns along the great lakes in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New York could be considered a region, not because the culture is the same, but they are essentially set up very similarly and have similar ecomonics.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,088,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
Ohio has always been an interesting case. I think Ohio definitely has more Eastern overtones as compared to states like Illinois or Wisconson, but on the whole I think it is solidly midwestern.

However, one could make the argument that there is a "northern Appelacia (sp)" region that seperates the Midwest and Northeast that includes parts of eastern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and northern West Virginia. However, I would hesitate to put even Pittsburgh in that category because its achiatecture is still distinctly Northeast.

On the same token, towns along the great lakes in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New York could be considered a region, not because the culture is the same, but they are essentially set up very similarly and have similar ecomonics.
I see these states as the Great Lakes region: western New York\ western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, northern Indiana, northern-most Illinois & Wisconsin. Ohio seems way too far east to be called the Midwest [even Indiana is sort of iffy Midwest]. Totally agree that Cincinnati feels Eastern not Midwestern.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,780,327 times
For smaller cities you also have Laredo Tx and Brownsville Tx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City