Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,197,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
San Francisco- NFL (49ers)
San Francisco- MLB (Giants)
Oakland- NFL (Raiders)
Oakland- MLB (Athletics)

And they are less than an hour away.
I would have used that but they have about 8 MIllion people combined. I'm not sure How many greater Orlando and Tampa Bay has combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,939,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I would have used that but they have about 8 MIllion people combined. I'm not sure How many greater Orlando and Tampa Bay has combined.
Tampa Bay MSA + Orlando MSA = 2,733,761 + 2,082,421 = 4,816,182

Pretty much nearly 5 million people.

Anyways, that shouldn't really matter though, Buffalo with a market of 1.2 million people can support an NFL team.

If Orlando wants an NFL (like really wants one) it can support it. I think it can do a better job than Jacksonville at least.

But that's only if the city "wants it" and has a high demand for it.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Tampa Bay MSA + Orlando MSA = 2,733,761 + 2,082,421 = 4,816,182

Pretty much nearly 5 million people.

Anyways, that shouldn't really matter though, Buffalo with a market of 1.2 million people can support an NFL team.

If Orlando wants an NFL (like really wants one) it can support it. I think it can do a better job than Jacksonville at least.

But that's only if the city "wants it" and has a high demand for it.
Exactly what I was saying. Its not the proximity to Tampa it is the city demand for it. Which is why Orlando can support an NFL team more than Jacksonville. MLB probably not but you never know. just because people in Tampa dont support their team does not mean the People of Central Florida wont. They sure as hell support the Magic selling out every game. So I agree.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:57 PM

528 posts, read 1,179,817 times
We should consider markets without ANY major league sports teams first.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ue-sports.html

Old 06-11-2010, 08:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,695,007 times
Quote:
If they were not large enough markets they would have lost their teams which no CITY in Florida has ever done. So dont give me that speech again

You really don't know much about professional sports. It's not like franchises are like "Heck, let's not worry about our agreements and everything, Orlando is too small, the Magic gotta go!"

Keep in mind FLAboy that MOST of Florida's teams have been around less than 25 years, you know before you were even born.

Jaguars
Heat
Magic
Lightnining
Panthers
Marlins
Rays

All franchises less than 25 yrs old.

and how's this:

Lightning were #21 and Panthers #25 in attendance out of 30 NHL teams

Dolphins were #19, Buccaneers # 27, Jaguars #30 (ha, city of 800,000) out of 32 NFL teams

Rays are #23 and Marlins #29 out of 30 MLB teams this year.

Magic were #17 and Heat were #15 out of 30 NBA teams last year.

Florida is oversaturated, and has crappy sports fans. Heat and Magic have both been successful, as well as Marlins and Rays and still empty seats.

There is already talks of having the Jaguars go to LA, and the Lightning and Panthers have been a fail, and wouldn't be surprised if they moved north soon.

The Rays have already changed their name, as well as the Marlins.

The Buccaneers are garbage and the Jaguars are too.

I don't get why you're arguing. Professional Franchises aren't stupid. As well as the leagues, they understand markets and saturation, and yes, Florida is oversaturated.

PS, My respective MN teams were - Wild 10th, Vikings 10th, Twins 6th, and TWolves 25th (No Garnett, and it's hockey country, people hate the Wolves)

Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
You really don't know much about professional sports. It's not like franchises are like "Heck, let's not worry about our agreements and everything, Orlando is too small, the Magic gotta go!"

Keep in mind FLAboy that MOST of Florida's teams have been around less than 25 years, you know before you were even born.

Jaguars
Heat
Magic
Lightnining
Panthers
Marlins
Rays

All franchises less than 25 yrs old.

and how's this:

Lightning were #21 and Panthers #25 in attendance out of 30 NHL teams

Dolphins were #19, Buccaneers # 27, Jaguars #30 (ha, city of 800,000) out of 32 NFL teams

Rays are #23 and Marlins #29 out of 30 MLB teams this year.

Magic were #17 and Heat were #15 out of 30 NBA teams last year.

Florida is oversaturated, and has crappy sports fans. Heat and Magic have both been successful, as well as Marlins and Rays and still empty seats.

There is already talks of having the Jaguars go to LA, and the Lightning and Panthers have been a fail, and wouldn't be surprised if they moved north soon.

The Rays have already changed their name, as well as the Marlins.

The Buccaneers are garbage and the Jaguars are too.

I don't get why you're arguing. Professional Franchises aren't stupid. As well as the leagues, they understand markets and saturation, and yes, Florida is oversaturated.

Guy nobody asked you for your opinion. I know more about sports than you and the point I made was valid and accurate regardless how the hell you feel about it.

You people always "Florida This" Florida That ****.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,939,206 times
Quote:

That's just a theory/speculation. There are many aspects to it which prevent that team from going to LA. A lot having to do with LA's top advisors and how they are not eligible for the team, and a lot having to do with increasing tax when the economy is terrible there. Plus the owner for the Jaguars and what he thinks of the relocation.

You don't just get up and relocate because "a city needs a team" it's up to the owner strictly.

Anyways we'll see how things go. LA is bound to get a team soon, but don't count your bet on Jacksonville's team. San Diego has a better chance of relocating there, despite being a more successful team.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Guy nobody asked you for your opinion. I know more about sports than you and the point I made was valid and accurate regardless how the hell you feel about it.

You people always "Florida This" Florida That ****.

Are you serious? It's a public forum, that's the whole ideaology behind this website.

And, cool? I guess you think you know more about 'sports'?

What point was valid? I'll wait.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? It's a public forum, that's the whole ideaology behind this website.

And, cool? I guess you think you know more about 'sports'?

What point was valid? I'll wait.
**** Guy. I Chose no conversation with idiot ******* like you.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
That's just a theory/speculation. There are many aspects to it which prevent that team from going to LA. A lot having to do with LA's top advisors and how they are not eligible for the team, and a lot having to do with increasing tax when the economy is terrible there. Plus the owner for the Jaguars and what he thinks of the relocation.

You don't just get up and relocate because "a city needs a team" it's up to the owner strictly.

Anyways we'll see how things go. LA is bound to get a team soon, but don't count your bet on Jacksonville's team. San Diego has a better chance of relocating there, despite being a more successful team.

Ok, so you're agruing my comment of "There are talks of Jaguars moving to LA""?

You're seriously arguing that? There really have been 'talks' about them moving there. So, not too sure what you're trying to argue.

It's not a pissing match dude, I get that speculation, I'm not an idiot, but the Jaguars have been speculated about moving west, and that's a fact and you cannot argue that.

Sure, is it feasible? Is it going to happen? Are there intanglibles? Sure yes, but that doesn't mean that the Jaguars weren't in the LA relocation speculation.

Plus, I'm from Minneapolis. You don't need to explain a thing about relocation. Ever heard of the Minnesota North Stars? Go study up and let me know what you found out about that move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.