Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:42 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Waste of money for NYC. The Bronx is a s***hole that doesn't need anymore rail connectivity.
Well, yea, some of the Bronx is pretty rough. There are definitely some nice neighborhoods, including one of the nicest ones in NYC. It also has a lot of the city's institutions with the most prominent being the Bronx Zoo, the New York Botanical Gardens, Yankee Stadium, and Fordham University.

It does make sense to try to make some East-West connection in the Bronx as there's very little of that. It also makes sense to try to go for an outer borough connection so people don't have to crush into Manhattan in order to get to the Bronx from Queens or Brooklyn (see the Triboro RX or X line). I'm not sure which transit expansion you were referring to, but it'd really be fantastic for the Triboro RX to be built. The Bronx is so dense that ridership-wise, most lines built through the Bronx would probably make a lot of sense.

The Triboro RX, since much of the right-of-way is already owned, would go through dense neighborhoods that currently are some distance from rapid transit, would leverage some existing infrastructure and would have multiple connections to an already massive system, is probably one of the highest bang for the buck transit possibilities in the US and by a very large margin.

Getting better transit access/options in the Bronx would go a long way in making the Bronx not a ****hole, so that's a bonus, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,098 times
I'd love to move to LA but would hate to live through those traffic jams. Do you think this rail system will allow someone to forego that? I'm considering going to law school at either USC or UCLA in the fall of 2017, and am curious how the rail system will affect those areas

Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I'd love to move to LA but would hate to live through those traffic jams. Do you think this rail system will allow someone to forego that? I'm considering going to law school at either USC or UCLA in the fall of 2017, and am curious how the rail system will affect those areas
Live close to school and it's not an issue. USC is connected to the rail system by the Expo line so it's in pretty good shape. UCLA will eventually be connected by the purple line but that's 15+ years away.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Live close to school and it's not an issue. USC is connected to the rail system by the Expo line so it's in pretty good shape. UCLA will eventually be connected by the purple line but that's 15+ years away.
^ This. I live and work downtown and my car doesn't really ever leave the garage. I force myself to take it out once a week just to keep the battery running. LA is what you make of it. If you try to live on the Westside and work downtown or vice versa, you're going to have a bad time.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
I haven't read every post in this long (and old) thread, so if I'm repeating someone, my apologies... but based on the title I'd have to say, while LA's expansion is amazing, I find Chicago's L growth at the end of the 19th century no less than amazing. Consider that 4 different private companies began building L lines in 1892, the 1st segment of (now) Green (then the South Side Rapid Transit, Co.), and by 1900, the core lines of today: Green (Jackson Park), Blue (Garfield Pk, Milwaukee (to Logan Sq), Pink (Douglas Park) and Red (4-track Howard main line to Wilson), along with the downtown Loop elevated (opened in 1897), had been built ... all that in 8 years! Now of course those lines have been partially relocated and extended, but those core routes are in place, with the L still utilizing all or parts of elevated structures date back 123 years...

... that's pretty amazing esp given Victorian-era construction methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City