U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:15 AM

594 posts, read 1,539,028 times

Advertisements

LA is currently preparing for (and already undergoing) the most aggressive and remarkable rail expansion any city in the country has seen in decades. Since the crucial passage of the Measure R sales tax in November 2008, over a dozen light rail, subway (heavy rail), and BRT projects have been planned, approved, or are in the works.

This includes 3 separate extensions of the Gold Light Rail Line (one just completed), a new Expo Light Rail Line from Downtown LA to Santa Monica (through Culver City), a new light rail line along Crenshaw between the Green and Expo lines, 2 extensions of the Green Line Light Rail (one to LAX), an extension of the Purple Line Subway from Wilshire to Santa Monica (through Westwood and Beverly Hills), a ‘Regional Connector’ light rail through downtown to connect various rail lines, a grade-separated transit corridor between Santa Ana and Downtown LA, a rapid transit option through I-405 between the San Fernando Valley and the Westside, an already completed BRT (Silver) line from El Monte to Gardena (which cuts through the heart of the city), and 2 BRT extensions for the San Fernando Valley.

As it stands right now, many of these projects are slated to be completed within the next 10 years, while others could take up to 30 years. Under the Mayor’s proposed “30/10” plan (currently under review), all of these projects will be fast-tracked for completion by 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 05:38 AM

795 posts, read 2,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
LA is currently preparing for (and already undergoing) the most aggressive and remarkable rail expansion any city in the country has seen in decades. Since the crucial passage of the Measure R sales tax in November 2008, over a dozen light rail, subway (heavy rail), and BRT projects have been planned, approved, or are in the works.

This includes 3 separate extensions of the Gold Light Rail Line (one just completed), a new Expo Light Rail Line from Downtown LA to Santa Monica (through Culver City), a new light rail line along Crenshaw between the Green and Expo lines, 2 extensions of the Green Line Light Rail (one to LAX), an extension of the Purple Line Subway from Wilshire to Santa Monica (through Westwood and Beverly Hills), a ‘Regional Connector’ light rail through downtown to connect various rail lines, a grade-separated transit corridor between Santa Ana and Downtown LA, a rapid transit option through I-405 between the San Fernando Valley and the Westside, an already completed BRT (Silver) line from El Monte to Gardena (which cuts through the heart of the city), and 2 BRT extensions for the San Fernando Valley.

As it stands right now, many of these projects are slated to be completed within the next 10 years, while others could take up to 30 years. Under the Mayor’s proposed “30/10” plan (currently under review), all of these projects will be fast-tracked for completion by 2018.
This is very good for LA. How does this project compare to fastracks in Denver? I know in Denver they are currently adding 119 miles of various trains and the project cost is 6.5 billion. Do you have any numbers on the LA rail expansion?

Last edited by D-town 720; 04-10-2010 at 05:55 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 AM

305 posts, read 686,083 times
In the L.A. history books, people are going to read about the "great rail boom of the 2010's".

Although it will never attain the intricacy and the glory of our Pacific Red Car system... it's much better than nothing. We're basically laying down the bare bones to having a wonderful public transit system. And this isn't even including the CAHSR and the various modern streetcar projects laid out for various areas in L.A. County (Downtown L.A., Long Beach).

The future does look bright, though.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 AM

648 posts, read 1,418,928 times
I have always wondered, especially with the BART, can those subway tunnels stay intact during an earthquake?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 AM

594 posts, read 1,539,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
This is very good for LA. How does this project compare to fastracks in Denver? I know in Denver they are currently adding 119 miles of various trains and the project cost is 6.5 billion. Do you have any numbers on the LA rail expansion?
The LA Rail expansion appears to be far greater than that, but LA is a much bigger city than Denver. We are talking about 12 major projects including light rails, subways, BRTs, etc at a cost of nearly 200 billion.

They're basically trying to build an entire system in 10 years, which would be crazy if they could actually pull it off.

Props to Mayor Villaraigosa for his aggressive stance on this...otherwise it wouldnt happen.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,367,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I have always wondered, especially with the BART, can those subway tunnels stay intact during an earthquake?
During the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989, the BART was pretty much the savior of the Bay Area. While the Bay Bridge and I-880 had sections of it collapse (if you're familiar with the Bay Area, these are two major arteries), the BART still kept running. People who usually didn't take the BART were now forced to if they had commutes to Downtown San Francisco.

BART - BART tests earthquake response as Loma Prieta anniversary approaches
Quote:
The earthquake collapsed a portion of the Bay Bridge and a section of the Cypress Street viaduct on Interstate 880. BART suffered no major damage and resumed service shortly afterward, providing a vital link between San Francisco and the East Bay.
In LA, during the 94 Earthquake, there was no such luck when I-10 collapsed and I-5 at CA-14 (this isn't in a dense urban area, but did choke off SoCal from the rest of California for the time being).

I think LA has ambitious plans, but until I actually see construction underway, I'm still skeptical. I know that the Expo line is still being built, and the Gold Line was recently opened to East LA, but to meet a lot of the demand by 2018 is asking for a lot.

The most obvious line that needs to be opened is the 'Subway to the Sea', which would finally serve the Westside of LA. I remember when the Orange Line opened in the San Fernando Valley, it was really believed that no one would ride it. Now, it's barely standing room. I really do think that the Orange Line needs to be converted to Light Rail over BRT to keep up with increasing demand.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:09 AM

3,261 posts, read 7,819,418 times
DART (Dallas Area Rapid Trasit) is expanding too. Currenty DART has 45 miles of track by 2013 it will have 90 miles of track. This year the Green line will be completed and later in the future the Orange Line will be completed by 2013.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 AM

795 posts, read 2,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
The LA Rail expansion appears to be far greater than that, but LA is a much bigger city than Denver. We are talking about 12 major projects including light rails, subways, BRTs, etc at a cost of nearly 200 billion.

They're basically trying to build an entire system in 10 years, which would be crazy if they could actually pull it off.

Props to Mayor Villaraigosa for his aggressive stance on this...otherwise it wouldnt happen.
Yeah I was going to say that LA could be building rail lines for the next century and still need more. The metro is like near 20 million or something.

But certainly a good start in the right direction

Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM

18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Great Job LA.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,256,307 times
Several local & statewide initiatives passed to allow light rail\ subway & even the bullet train from LA to San Francisco. Californians are willing to tax themselves unlike other states that consider all taxes as evil But it also helps that a Democrat is in the White House. Mayor Villaraigosa spends lots of time in DC & President Obama will be in Los Angeles this week. Federal $ is a big part of the funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or