U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:29 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,763,144 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to go on a long road trip, but we don't know where. We've been to most places within a 6 hour drive in all directions from here, so we want to go even further this time. Not sure whether we want to do Chicago or Toronto. We're on a tight budget (just got back from eastern Europe), so cost has to factor into this.

Toronto would obviously be cheaper to drive to since it's closer, but which city in general would be cheaper to do things? But we'll also factor in which city has more to do/see; even if it means it's just a little more expensive.

We plan on doing this sometime in late July. We would stay there around 3-4 nights. What do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:02 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,153,998 times
I would go to Chicago if you've never visited.

The Magnificent Mile is...magnificent. It does bear some similarities to New York here, but there are some absolutely beautiful buildings on Michigan Avenue. If you like cities/architecture, it cannot to be missed. There are some absolutely beautiful parks right on the lake (Grant & Millennium). Walking through The Loop is both beautiful and unique (walking through the street and hearing the L rumble overhead is pretty cool while in the financial district).

It costs some dough to eat there, but be sure to get a meal (or at least a drink) at The Signature Room on the 95th floor of the John Hancock Building. I was there for my 21st birthday. We got a table right up the window facing South towards the Loop with the Aon Center and Sears (now Willis) Tower perfectly in view. It made the entire trip worth it.

I haven't had the opportunity to do so myself, but I recommend visiting the beach just North of the Loop (Lakeshore Drive? Am I correct on that one Chicagoans?)...my friend was there last summer and sent me a few pics of him and some friends crushing some beers with the skyline in the background. Also, you'd be able to check out Wrigley Field, which from everything I've heard is a fantastic place to catch a game.

I've heard great things about Toronto too, so I'm sure you'd have a blast if you visited our neighbors to the North. I just love Chicago, so I figured I'd recommend it

Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,811,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I haven't had the opportunity to do so myself, but I recommend visiting the beach just North of the Loop (Lakeshore Drive? Am I correct on that one Chicagoans?)...my friend was there last summer and sent me a few pics of him and some friends crushing some beers with the skyline in the background. Also, you'd be able to check out Wrigley Field, which from everything I've heard is a fantastic place to catch a game.
Your probably thinking of either Oak Street Beach or North Avenue Beach

Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 PM

Are there any foods that are native to Toronto? Because I really want to try deep dish pizza and Chicago hot dogs It's one reason why I'd want to go there, lol.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:19 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,241,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Are there any foods that are native to Toronto? Because I really want to try deep dish pizza and Chicago hot dogs It's one reason why I'd want to go there, lol.
Couldn't you go North to Toronto, drive through to Detroit and on to Chicago?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 AM

12,851 posts, read 23,310,104 times
Toronto is a fun city, I enjoyed my trip there (I've never been to Chicago).

The only food that I can think of that is native to Toronto is the Pizza Pizza chain.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Why sure there is (even though it was started in Hamilton)

http://www.directoryofhamilton.com/b...tons_store.jpg

If you were going to Montreal or Quebec City, I was about to say "Poutine", but Toronto I'm not too sure about.

You could always do both, and see Niagara Falls and much of lower Michigan that way.

That's quite a choice you got there. Can't say I am not envious. I would say "visit the foreign country first", but since its Canada...well, there isn't really that many differences with the exception of Quebec.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM

OMG I love Tim Hortons. I forgot it was up there. I went to college in Maine, and there were way more TH's than Dunkin donuts (thankfully). We have them in Manhattan now, but it isn't the same since they don't have the hot apple cider, lol. The donuts are still better than DD though.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 AM

726 posts, read 1,818,744 times
Depending on what the exchange rate is, it'll probably be cheaper to go to Toronto. Toronto's great and has unlimited numbers of things to do. There's a number of great "Canadian" restaurants serving "Canadian" food. I write it that way because they're kind of pretentious because I don't know too many Canadians who grew up eating things like Moose pate. Toronto has great ethnic areas with tons of variety. What are your interests? Sports? Fashion? Museums? Theater? outdoor activities?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Museums and sports when it comes to visiting other cities. We'd love to see Wrigley field, which Chicago wins over Toronto. But Toronto has the hockey hall of fame. I don't know, it's a toss up.

There's a chance we may put this off a year or so. I'm looking to transfer with my job, so that's consuming a lot of my time for now. If I find a place to transfer before late July, we'll be going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City