U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,528,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
Oh, where did you live in Texas--if you care to recall? A lot of things don't make sense in life, period.
Not far from San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM

127 posts, read 116,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Not far from San Antonio.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that's a major no-no booboo. LOL! ;-P I definitely have to pick any of the other major cities versus San Antonio (not that it's bad--I love to visit there, but the other major cities are better) and I definitely couldn't stand living outside of that city for that matter. I definitely understand where you're coming though now.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 PM

20,176 posts, read 34,521,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgleCo View Post
Most under-rated cities in my opinion:

San Antonio, Texas. With a population of over 1.3 million... you'd think the American people would hear a bit more about the city. I have seen a quick little tour of San Antonio on the Weather Channel, and it looked historically significant, interesting, beautiful, and the climate looked to be very desirable.
Most people would not consider the climate of San Antonio to be desirable. The winters are mild but the summers last forever with a very intense sun angle, and scorching heat. Also, the latitude at 28N is further south than Phoenix, AZ! That alone would indicate a very warm climate.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 PM

5,649 posts, read 13,610,035 times
Your pix should leave no doubt, forumguy. Pgh rocks! And it's even cooler in person. (and no, I'm not from there). Places like Pgh have so much more charm, character, texture, amenities, public spaces, history and culture than the Sunbelt cities that other posters keep arguing about which one's bigger, which ones sprawlier and which one's growing fastest!

Really, quality of life is where it is at, and QOL is hard to come by in places with explosive growth.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:10 PM

251 posts, read 621,555 times
Quote:
Most people would not consider the climate of San Antonio to be desirable. The winters are mild but the summers last forever with a very intense sun angle, and scorching heat. Also, the latitude at 28N is further south than Phoenix, AZ! That alone would indicate a very warm climate.
Phoenix is hotter than S.A. by a long shot. We're lucky to have so many rivers and lakes around here, Phoenix is just...desert.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 PM

71 posts, read 386,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Currently, I would say Pittsburgh is the most under-rated city in the country in my opinion. Its just an incredible masterpiece of a city its got some blighted areas but overall its got so many amenities for a city of its size. The topography is amazing as is the culture, its got alot of nice architecture and its got alot of amazing, very very unique neighborhoods its a true neighborhood city.

Columbus, Ohio is an under-rated city but not nearly as under-rated as Pittsburgh but if the urban energy continues it might be close to being as under-rated as Pittsburgh in the next few years. Like Pittsburgh, Columbus has alot of great historical neighborhoods although more concentrated then Pittsburgh.

Cincinnati would probubly be the most under-rated city but it has alot of social issues and violent crime going on so that
takes away from its liveablity but it has potential to someday be an incredible city if it can pull it together. Its got alot of great amenities to visit and the architecture is amazing and completely under-rated though.
I currently live in Columbus and it's a good city, but I wouldn't say it's underrated. I think it gets the amount of attention it deserves. I agree it has good historical neighborhoods, but they make up a very small percent of the city. It's definitely one of the better big midwestern cities, but the weather isn't exactly great!

I would say Nashville is underrated. Everyone thinks it's all country there, but it really has a lot more to offer, people just don't know it. I have heard a lot of good things about Pittsburgh, I would like to visit there sometime.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,052,163 times
Pittsburgh. Definitely.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:37 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,524,042 times
I think Sacramento is Underrated. It is a nice city, with reasonable cost of living in comparison to the rest of the state's cities, nice weather(hot summers but still many places are much worse), very diverse, close to the many things California has to offer....i think it is way underrated, more than likely because of the other cities in the State that overshadow it.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,001,566 times
Albuquerque is definitely very underrated ....it has an amazing combo of great weather ...scenery and culture ...it is unique and not just cookie-cutter anywhere USA

I also agree about Pittsburgh ...it gets a bad rep ..."steel city" ....but it actually has a nice flow to it with the rivers and bridges and hills ... very nice ....I was pleasantly surprised

Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,942 times
My son went to University in Atlanta; he loved it; I hate it.
Buckhead is the more affluent (hidden) area located near downtown.
We took the tram into downtown, stopped at a McDonald's where he was hit on the head by a gadget that was thrown by worker at a cutomer, which quickly broke out into a brawl. We were out of there within 30 seconds of our arrival. I was terrified while we hurried back to the tram.

The traffic is horrible in Buckhead, not much better around the rest of the
dirty place. You can't find parking at the main downtown mall on Peachtree Street ( even Scarlett wouldn't dare go wandering downtown, and there certainly wouldn't be anyplace to put all those dead and dying rebels)
Well, I think you can pay ten dollars to park, which is worth it if you really want to go to Neiman Marcus, etc.

My son graduated in 2002, I've been back once. In the South, try Charlotte, NC; Charleston, SC; Ashville, NC; and I won't announce the best, because so far it remains undiscovered. Let it remain so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City