U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 PM

181 posts, read 523,801 times

Advertisements

I don't know if they are necessarily underrated, but my favorite places in the US are:

Flagstaff, AZ
Traverse City, MI
St. Augustine, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 PM

4,887 posts, read 12,190,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Downtown Philadelphia is not more vibrant than Downtown San Francisco in my personal experience. It also has far less amenities such as shopping and entertainment.

Dont get me wrong, I like the place, but I think saying it was 3rd in that respect is a bit off the mark.

The downtowns are about the same in regards to occupied office space in sq.ft.Center City Philaldephia has a white collar work force of about 250,000 so I assume SF is in the same ballpark. Center City Philly has between 90,000- 100,000 people living downtown(3rd highest in US). 3 major universities(45,000 students) within a mile of Center City including the 4th ranked university in the country(Penn). 750 retail shops +restaurants in a 4 sq mile area

I'm not saying center city Philly is more vibrant than downtown SF but what I am saying is that on a normal day center city Philly is about as vibrant as any city in the usa. It might not be the cleanest, might not be the ritziest, but its plenty vibrant.

In regards to the question of this thread(underrated) SF does not belong here whereas Philadlephia arguably does.

Props to the photo takers.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 AM

9,122 posts, read 11,663,838 times
Default We are talking apples and pineapples here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I definitely dont agree with metro NYC coming all the way down to Philaldephias backyard. There is an awful lot of backroom politicking that goes along with the census bureau, especially on the crowded east coast.

I think you have an argument concerning Dallas/Fort Worth which is labeled an MSA when it should probably have a CMSA label.

But if SF has an argument with Dallas's questionable status then Philadlephia
also should have an argument as its got more people within 40 miles of its center then either SF or DC.

I agree lets get back on track to the original question.

We are talking pineapples and apples here , about Philly and San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO is a ALPHA 2nd Tier World Class City and The One
dominate city in the BAY AREA of 7,300,000 peoples Philly doesn't have that large of a Metro Population even if it won some of It's Metro Back From (New York City) , but we both know THAT"S THAT Not Going To Happen Because the CENSUS BUREAU is bending over backwards to make
sure that METRO NEW YORK CITY is larger than THE HATED LA ..LOS
ANGELES Metro Area , which it's really not LA could very easily have
20 Million People In It's Metro Area.
Both you and myself are telling everybody in AMERICA that Philly GOT
SHAFTED because it's in the LONG SHADOWS of the ONLY 1st Tier ALPHA
WORLD CLASS CITY IN AMERICA NEW YORK CITY....

Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 AM

2,418 posts, read 4,105,015 times

Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 AM

3,206 posts, read 7,819,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
....um... I'm sorry... what?
Atlanta's skyline can be argued with Dallas as which one is better. I get that. But what are you saying about Ft. Worth's skyline? Cause there isn't that much to brag about... sadly. I mean, it's ok, but it's just not as good (or big) as it should be.

I'm saying it wont happen, but.... good luck with that. Atlanta's metro may be growing fast, but all of the DFW Metroplex is growing pretty fast, too.

If Atlanta was in Texas it would be the eight largest city in Texas- Cased closed

Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,190,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
SAN FRANCISCO is a ALPHA 2nd Tier World Class City and The One
dominate city in the BAY AREA of 7,300,000 peoples Philly doesn't have that large of a Metro Population

Both you and myself are telling everybody in AMERICA that Philly GOT
SHAFTED because it's in the LONG SHADOWS of the ONLY 1st Tier ALPHA
WORLD CLASS CITY IN AMERICA NEW YORK CITY....
I'm not telling anybody anything. I'm simply bringing cold hard facts to the table.

There is no conspiracy against LA or SF.

According to the census bureau.
Philaldephia has a metro of 5.8 M
SF has a metro of 4.2 M

I'm not interested in vague,inapplicable, puff discussions like "Bay Area" or CMSA's, that does not interest me.

Once again no sane individual is going to bring SF into a thread titled "most underrated city". If you want to start a thread SF vs. Philadlephia I'm more than willing to squabble with you.

Lets stick with the defined federal guidelines of the MSA.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 PM

933 posts, read 1,643,947 times
SF has a metro area of around 7 million!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Once again no sane individual is going to bring SF into a thread titled "most underrated city".
Only if we are talking about how SF got overshadowed by LA as the premier city of the West.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,373,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
If Atlanta was in Texas it would be the eight largest city in Texas- Cased closed
City population means squat when they are arbitrary lines drawn to different sizes.

Metro population is much more accurate.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,105,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
City population means squat when they are arbitrary lines drawn to different sizes.

Metro population is much more accurate.
Population in general is meaningless. The metro area of Montreal is quite a bit smaller in population than Atlanta. Poll the civilized world on where they'd rather live. Charm, atmosphere, and aesthetic beauty are worth an entire book full of statistics.

Edit- I realize we're talking about American cities, but Montreal seemed to be the best comparison for what I was trying to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City