U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 AM

3,093 posts, read 3,988,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Providence, Baltimore and to a lesser extent Philadelphia are all underrated IMO although probably not for much longer.
I could see Providence, and to a certain extent Baltimore. But Philly is very much well known and talked about.

Your most underrated cities are going to come from the Sunbelt or the western edge of the Midwest. Your Bos-Wash corridor and great lakes cities have all had their time in the sun at one point or another.

Cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta have never really been treated nationally as some of the great American cities. Despite the power they bring economically, and their underrated cultural offerings. They're pretty much treated like the Nouveau riche were in the early 20th Century. The Gatsby to the Bos-Wash's Buchannan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 AM

11,829 posts, read 9,835,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta have never really been treated nationally as some of the great American cities. Despite the power they bring economically, and their underrated cultural offerings. They're pretty much treated like the Nouveau riche were in the early 20th Century. The Gatsby to the Bos-Wash's Buchannan.
But compared to many cities in the US, they are "nouveau rich". Houston was not on the Top 10 until 1960; Dallas-1970.
They developed at a time when the Bos-Wash and other Industrial cities cities were declining, so if anything I'd say that ATL/Dallas/Houston currently have a more positive reputation than Philadelphia, Baltimore, Providence, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc.
NYC, Boston and DC have only somewhat recently (past two decades) changed their national perceptions.

I agree on city-vs-city they are underrated because this site seems to favor structural density and walkability over newer styles of development.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 PM

222 posts, read 242,022 times
I just signed up for this site, so sorry to bump an old thread but just happened across it and here are my 2 cents!

I think some of the most underrated cities in the US are:

Chicago...not that its rated badly, but I think its is a world class city that can compare to pretty much anywhere in the world, and its not given quite that kind of credit generally.

Providence...outshined by its neighbors, but a really nice city>
West Palm Beach...I think it tends to be ignored because of its position of the 3rd city in the Miami metro, but it deserves some attention of its own.
Nashville...I was surprised to find a really nice livable city.

I think some of the most overrated are:

Seattle...Just did not do much for me, visually pretty attractive, but it all felt a bit forced.
Ft.Lauderdale...Just not much to see.
Boston and SF...Don't get me wrong, they are GREAT cities...but its like the flipside of Chicago...I think they are typically considered two of the world class cities in the US, and I would not quite put them in that category.

I think Miami is an interesting case, because in some ways it is both very overrated and underrated. Part of it is that people tend to have extremely polarized views about it. Miami is portrayed as a very glitzy, glamorous destination where the rich and famous party...and outside of very small pockets, it is anything but that. But if you are willing to put your time in, the neighborhoods of Miami are actually very intriguing. It is definitely not a typical American city, and a lot of times feels like you are in the capital of a Caribbean nation, so its all about perspective...that is a huge part of what I love about it. Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Midtown, Wynwood, Little Havana Little Haiti, and Miami Beach beyond South Beach all have very distinctive and interesting feels to them...and even a lot of the ugly suburbs are dense enough and latin flavored enough that it gives them something more interesting and diverse than typical US cookie cutter suburbia. So yea...very overrated, or very underrated, depending what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City