Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
I noticed that when I went to school at Western Michigan for a semester. Obviously much closer than SF, but I wondered why WGN was national
WGN was one of the original superstations, like TBS in Atlanta. It was (is) broadcast on cable nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM

425 posts, read 370,949 times
Only one still.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's definitely NOT underrated. Seattle is on most young people's radar screen. That's why you have kids fresh out of college sharing rent 3 ways for a crappy apartment on Capita(o)l Hill until they can get better situated - that is, if they do. Many wind up going home.
Agreed. Seattle is a favorite among the younger generation and many times is considered second only to San Francisco in terms of liberalism. It is hardly underrated.

As for underrated cities, I would say Oklahoma City big time. Sure there are better places but it isn't near as bad as people make it out to be. As far as day to day life is concerned, its a typical city of 1.3 million. There are a few things I really miss about Charlotte that I can't find here but most things I enjoyed in my day to day life in Charlotte are also to be found in OKC.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was going to say Pittsburgh as well. Americans are largely unaware of the fact it has reinvented itself.
I went there a few weekends ago -- just to see what it was like -- and was pretty much blown away! What a town! Especially considering that it's rarely pumped up or talked about by most people! Big-city feel, big-city downtown, lots to do, beautiful pre-war architecture and infrastructure, lush greenery and giant rolling hills......there's a lot to like about it, that's for sure!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Grossly under-rated list

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Kansas City
4. Tulsa
5. Omaha

Honorable mention list

1. Oklahoma City
2. Des Moines
3. Akron

Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 PM

303 posts, read 578,810 times
Most underrated cities
1. Pittsburgh
2. Cleveland
3. Raleigh
4. San Antonio
5. Oklahoma City

Old 09-19-2012, 07:50 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
Tampa/St. Pete: Really flies under the radar for a metro area approaching 3 million people. Very pretty with all the water, nice warm climate in the winter, pro sports, and some lively areas.

Kansas City: Another city that you hardly ever hear about. It has some nice areas and a lot more amenities than you would think. Great barbeque, and lots of cool fountains around the city. It is actually a pretty nice place, but I guess it just doesn't have anything that really jumps out, so people tend to forget about it.

Nashville: Nashville doesn't fly under the radar like the two I named above b/c it is well known, but I do feel like it is underrated b/c it is often viewed as country music and nothing else, so I feel that it is sometimes considered a smaller "niche" type destination. Country music is a big part of the culture there, but the city also has a diverse economy, one of the best universities in the South (Vandy), lots of non-country music, 2 pro sports teams, historic homes, etc.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
underrated cities...cities that have made increible turn arounds

Cleveland OH..Ten
Pittsburgh PA
Washington DC

underrated cities that punches above it's weight

Columbus OH..Ten
Kansas City
Tulsa OK
Oklahoma City OK
Louisville KY
St. Louis The Lou...
Birmingham
Tucson AZ

underrated cities that will surprise you

Wichita KS
Coulumbia SC
Charleston SC
Greenville Carolina
Savannah GA
Albuquerque NM

Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Soon as the ignorant goons stop thinking that Minneapolis is some ice-cold cow-town, I'll stop being a homer about my town.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
I think Columbus is very underrated...you just don't hear enough about it.

I think people forget about Louisville, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City