U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM

10,172 posts, read 6,950,874 times

Advertisements

America's Favorite Cities, 2009 Most and Least Attractive People- Slide 9 - Slideshows - Travel + Leisure
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,744,685 times
Both cities are really fun, I like them both a lot. Being from and choosing to live in Orlando, I would give it the nod but it's strictly opinion as is any City vs. City forum, enjoy:

-Metro Pop: Orlando (population is not opinion but its effect on "better" is totally opinion)
-Public Transportation:Nashville.
-Sports: Neither, NFL for Nashville, NBA for Orlando.
-Entertainment: Orlando, unless you like country music then Nashville is the best!
-Nightlife: Orlando. More diversified nightlife and more of it.
-Natural Setting:Another huge toss up. I prefer lakes, and tropical vegetation so Orlando.
-Downtown: Orlando wins for me, but I really like Nashville's music scene that's incorporated into downtown. However, I prefer downtown Orlando's local vibe that has nothing to do with tourism, in Nashville, that's the first place the tour takes you.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM

13,733 posts, read 15,587,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Orlando is better than what some people on here are saying. I have been to Nashville (though its been years, I was only a kid) but I remember it, and I have researched it on the internet. Based on my personal preferences I like Orlando better.

Some people on here who claim they have been to orlando, but most likely have only been to the other Orlando AKA disney, universal, sea world, international drive, Orlando international airport, and maybe have drivin passed downtown on I-4. The actual city of Orlando and its surrounding communities has a lot to offer, more than any tourist knows, maybe unless they have family in the area.

Orlando is a bigger metro. It has a population of 2 million, Nashvilles metro has 1.5 million. When it comes to sprawl they're not much different. The reason why Nashvilles city population is 600,000 and Orlandos is 200,000 is because Nashvilles city limits cover about 500 sq miles of land where as Orlando covers about 90 sq miles of land. Nashvilles population density is 1,233 per sq mile and Orlandos population density is 2,282 per sq mile.

Also Orlando is about 45 mins to FLs east coast beaches, 1.5 hours from the west coast beaches (big difference in beaches, depending on what you want), 4 hours from Miami and a bit closer to ft luderdale, about 2 hours from st augustine (the oldest european settled city in the country). Metro Orlando is home to beatiful springs, rolling hills on its western side, all types of living (urban, suburban, rural) Great shopping (luxury stores, high end botiques, about every chain store you can imagine, and all types of specailty shops), great restarants selection (we get resturants that you normally wouldnt find in a metro our size due to the large tourist presenc), great night life in downtown orlando plus some night life in the theme parks (city walk, downtown disney, international drive).

Speaking of the attractions, we are one of the largest tourist destinations in the world, on top of the world class theme parks, the attractions area is filled dozens of smaller attractions, neat resturants, etc. This whole attractions area is set aside from the actual city of Orlando. Once you leave that area, the rest of the metro area is filled with locals like a regular metros. We don't have to deal with the annoying tourists unless we are in the tourist area.

Believe it or not Orlando does have arts and culture and established urban neighborhoods. also check out the city of winter park, about 4 miles north from the heart of downtown Orlando.

Orlando is also a mecco for outdoor recreational activites.

On top of that Orlando has a great NBA team. Games are always fun to go to, especially this time of year during the play offs.
Nice post.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 PM

13,733 posts, read 15,587,034 times
Miami was voted #1 on that list. Orlando is only a 4hr30min drive from Miami. Another point for Orlando.lol

Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM

3,632 posts, read 3,295,158 times
It's now Orlando 5 and Nashville 3 in opinions of who likes each city the best.

I won't add my vote because I want to be un-biased here, but I can say that Orlando is a place that I had no idea of how big it was until I lived there for 10 years. Before I lived in Orlando I assumed it was 75% white, 20% black, and 5% Cuban, and I also assumed that the population of the whole Metro area was around 600,000. That was before I had internet because I had been to Disney as a kid growing up and visited my aunt in Winter Park as a kid. When I finally lived in Orlando I discovered lots of different neighborhoods, cultures, and a real nightlife. I never would have expected that Orlando would have had all the different nationalities that are present in the city and I didn't know they had a real downtown when I visited as a kid either. I thought on my trips to Disney and Universal that those 2 buildings you can see off of I-4 on Kirkman Rd. with a green neon outline were part of downtown...lol

The same goes for Nashville in my experience. I first moved here for a 4 year period back in the late 90's after I moved from Miami. I assumed Nashville would be a lot of rednecks with some black people mixed in. I didn't think Nashville had a real downtown before I came here either, but I was also wrong about Nashville.

There are things I like about both places, and things I don't like.

Things I like about Orlando...

1 The Atmosphere
2 The diversity
3 The amount of things to do

Things I dislike about Orlando...

1 Crime issues
2 Road Rage problems
3 The freeway system

I can name lots more but

Things I like about Nashville...

1 The Hills
2 The different seasons are cool
3 People are nicer on the surface

Things I dislike about Nashville...

1 Lack of free entertainment options (feeling like there's nothing to do but go to the bar)
2 Less diversity
3 It's hard to get around because of the public transit system here, or lack of and there are no sidewalks in a lot of areas.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:41 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,781,672 times
Nashville

Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,528,218 times
Nashville are you kidding me? Orlando all the way.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:45 PM

4,644 posts, read 5,649,400 times
I think if a poll was included, Nashville would be blown away. IMHO, Nashville cannot compete with Orlando.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:36 PM

321 posts, read 119,992 times
Nashville all the way. This has been at rest for a while but Nashville is definitely a more established City than Orlando and it didnt take Disney to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City