U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2010, 12:57 PM

9,751 posts, read 7,746,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Also, Tokyo and maybe Hong Kong are also comapreable to NYC as far as world importance is concerned. I consider the three hubs of Planet Earth to be NYC, London, and Tokyo.
Yeah, Tokyo and Hong Kong are in my must-visit list of cities. I expect them to be pretty much or nearly on par with New York, London and Paris. We'll see.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 9,176 times
This is an interesting thread, and shows how far behind Chicago and Los Angeles are individually compared to New York. However, some of the statistics the "pro-NY Crowd" cited are fishy. Though NYC has gained more people than City of LA in the 21st century, The LA Metro Area has gained more people than the NYC Metro area. Also, comparisons between total GDP use CMSAs instead of core MSAs. If you just look at core MSAs, LA and Chicago come ahead. Additionally, LA and Chicago combined have a greater metro population than the New York area (though the actual city populations are smaller). With the cultural comparisons, NYC clearly has more to offer than LA and Chicago combined, but the LA and Chicago metro areas, because they are more decentralized, clearly have more to offer (combined)than the NYC metro area.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:28 PM

245 posts, read 31,460 times
I beg to differ. First of all I would compare city propers and not their metro areas. City borders are clearly defined while metro areas are purely arbitrary. Second, keep in mind that New York City is located right in the middle of a densely populated, urbanized and industrilaized Bosh-Wash corridor with many great historical towns, among them Philly, DC and Boston, all within a driving distance from NYC. There is nothing like that around LA or Chicago and combining those two cities would not change much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcity View Post
This is an interesting thread, and shows how far behind Chicago and Los Angeles are individually compared to New York. However, some of the statistics the "pro-NY Crowd" cited are fishy. Though NYC has gained more people than City of LA in the 21st century, The LA Metro Area has gained more people than the NYC Metro area. Also, comparisons between total GDP use CMSAs instead of core MSAs. If you just look at core MSAs, LA and Chicago come ahead. Additionally, LA and Chicago combined have a greater metro population than the New York area (though the actual city populations are smaller). With the cultural comparisons, NYC clearly has more to offer than LA and Chicago combined, but the LA and Chicago metro areas, because they are more decentralized, clearly have more to offer (combined)than the NYC metro area.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,317,545 times
I would still choose New York City.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,520,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Oh I'd take LA/Chicago over NYC. Immagine a big city urban life righ next to the beautiful beaches and climate of SoCal. Such a place would be so unbelievably expensive to live in though.

Also, Tokyo and maybe Hong Kong are also comapreable to NYC as far as world importance is concerned. I consider the three hubs of Planet Earth to be NYC, London, and Tokyo.
Tokyo is, but Hong Kong isn't quite there yet. Hong Kong is gaining way to get there very fast, but it still has a lot to go through till it's there. These other cities have been established for centuries and have a strong roots. Hong Kong is going to have to wait a while until it gets there.

But don't get me wrong, it's making way to be at Tokyo, NYC, London, and Singapore levels.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 9,176 times
carver, you haven't refuted my point about Metro Areas. I agree with you that if you just look at city limits population, New York wins and if you make a regional comparison, the Northeast beats Midwest or California, but that is not the point I am making. In the case of Los Angeles, unlike New York or Chicago (to best of my knowledge), the city has incohesive boundaries. On the Westside, you have to go through the City of Beverly Hills or the City of West Hollywood to get to another part of Los Angeles, for instance. So the city proper criteria isn't terribly useful.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,816,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Not to continue arguing, but you misunderstood what I said. When I said you ft the bill, I meant you it the bill of being a judgmental southern since were pretty much judging me as another walking northeastern ego. I only get unfriendly when the person I'm talking to is unfriendly.
I didn't contadict anything btw, that doesn't make any sense. I was defending myself because I was not being egotistic in anyway, just stating my opinions.
I never said you was egotistic I ask the question are yall saying this cause of yall egos? and all so I said it come off egotistical because yall wouldn’t answer anything beyond because, I never said you are, so yes that's a contadiction. How I'm judging when I'm ask a question? Then you said "you ft bill" was judging me ironically saying I'm a "judgmental southern" really? Dude I'm a agnostic Liberal. )

The fact you came with “judgmental southern” like all southern are judgmental when I said “I saying east coast posters not specifically New York posters and I apologize because not all East coast posters are doing this” is already another dilemma but I’m going to ignore it.

See I don’t care if someone prefer New York, Chicago, LA or whatever, posters weren’t giving detail reasons to support their opinions. If I was ever judgmental I made the assumption that posters were friendly and would simply give more details reasons to support their opinions if I ask, I didn’t know posters would blow it out of proportion like this. It’s not that serious

Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM

7,728 posts, read 9,192,025 times
This seems "sus" as I would say. I don't want to be "that" person but I hope this isn't just a "let's gang up on NY to see if it'd finally lose" thread.

Chicago + Los Angeles would be a nice combination, I wouldn't mind living there in a suburban area with LA's climate.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,063,310 times
Hrrm... w/ all the hate on new york, I gotta go with New York in this thread.

I think Chicago + Toronto would put up a better NYC fight.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,520,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
This seems "sus" as I would say. I don't want to be "that" person but I hope this isn't just a "let's gang up on NY to see if it'd finally lose" thread.

Chicago + Los Angeles would be a nice combination, I wouldn't mind living there in a suburban area with LA's climate.
It was a thread that was designed for fun.

New York is nice but it wouldn't win at every thread out there. Skyline Height is there was a thread would go to Chicago.
etc etc... things like that.

This thread is more of like a untouchable city VS. a good competitor, it's all for the fun and sport of comparing.

I can see that some people here have taken that to a whole new level of animosity though... not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City