Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most culturally Southern?
Houston 27 47.37%
Oklahoma City 4 7.02%
Louisville 23 40.35%
Washington, DC 2 3.51%
Miami 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I use afraid because people see being southern as negative. It's an issue when you have cities in the lowest parts of the south (Miami) denying their southern ways.
thats because miama has had huge influxes of northerners and "souther ways" make up a much smaller selection of the population.

the original southerns arent denying anything, its the northerners that have moved down that are because they dont identify with southern culture at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
thats because miama has had huge influxes of northerners and "souther ways" make up a much smaller selection of the population.

the original southerns arent denying anything, its the northerners that have moved down that are because they dont identify with southern culture at all
Houston and Dallas have a large influx of Hispanics and westerners.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston and Dallas have a large influx of Hispanics and westerners.
right, and creates a similar effect.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:30 AM

324 posts, read 659,281 times
Miami and DC least Southern too me. all the rest I see more Southerness in those cities than I do in Miami or DC. This is coming from someone who is islander and was born and raised in Miami....

Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
But whether you like it or not DC is in the South because Maryland is also in the South despite Baltimore and the fact that most of Maryland is Southern by Culture.........
Again the south isn't culturally monolithic depending on where you are and what's your background southern culture is different. So you can't say a place is culturally southern because that depens on is the city geographically southern or not.

Also I want to tackle the notion that at place can become southern and a place can become un southern. Unless Earth turns upside down, it dosen't make any sense.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again the south isn't culturally monolithic depending on where you are and what's your background southern culture is different. So you can't say a place is culturally southern because that depens on is the city geographically southern or not.

Also I want to tackle the notion that at place can become southern and a place can become un southern. Unless Earth turns upside down, it dosen't make any sense.
no, there are certian characteristics tha all forms of southern culture share.

a place becomes "un-southern" when it no longer has southern dialect, cuisine, customs, mannerisms, ect. southern culture is classified together for a reason, because there are culture similarities among all those that get classified together. it really has not much to do with geography.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 AM

324 posts, read 659,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post

That has been my point They see a small section of southern culture and say Hey Miami is southern in culture. When Latin culture is the dominate culture I say it time and time again I was born and raised in miami and Im islander my family is islander, british and polish I cant Identify with southern culture because I never was raised in that way.. Growing up with Cubans, columbians and Some brazilians I never have seen them live a southern way....

Old 04-25-2010, 03:05 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What is this thread getting at exactly?

Houston is not a border city, I think you're thinking of El Paso.

Oklahoma City is also not a border city, and Louisville can be at the border of the southern region and Midwestern region but nothing else, Miami is also not a border city.
Sometimes I give the forum too much credit, or maybe I didn't clarify enough from the beginning. I picked the cities because they are in border regions/states, not because all of the cities themselves are right on the border of South and some other region.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Because the south isn't Monolithic what are you basing southern culture on Memphis/Mississippi Delta, Ozark culture, culture of New Orleans, culture of Nashville, Low country of GA and SC. The New south region, The Black belt region, upper south culture what? before we even start.
There are many Southern cultural similarities within all of those regions: cuisine, religion, etc. Of course there will be some peculiarities and unique features here and there (e.g., French/Catholic influence in NO), but nothing that stands in stark contrast to general identifying features.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
I know this is very wrong, but when I think Kentucky (Louisville), the first thing coming to mind is KFC, and boy, do the stereotypical southerners love their fried chicken!

Lol, just kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City