Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could the USA make it without California and New York City?
Yes 124 67.39%
No 60 32.61%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its not worth anything, actually.

You brought Oaklandinto the discussion thinking that you were making a point, but instead are now shell shocked to learn that Oakland can actually be quite pleasant and desirable. Hahahaha

Even with our crime rate, we still have less poverty than most of your large cities. Haha

That's what happens when you speak on places you know nothing about-you get schooled.
Stop acting as if Oakland is equal to London and there wouldn't be any arguments!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Stop acting as if Oakland is equal to London and there wouldn't be any arguments!
You can huff and puff all you want, Im not here to agree with you.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 PM

669 posts, read 914,690 times
Quote:
Notice how you cant really addressed anything I said.

To live in Oakland gives one local amenities and recreation capabilities that are in sum, probably impossible to beat.

I can think of nowhere in the Easr Coast that has top shelf everything from food to shopping to nightlife to climate to elevation to diversity to culture to economic opportunities as what is possible within a 20-minute subway ride from Oakland.

To live in Upper Rockridge is pure heaven.
Ha Ha like I said Oakland offers nothing I can't get from your typical coastal American city. Jacksonville sounds more exciting than Oakland in all honesty. Anything " impossible to beat" (lol) positive thing you can say about Oakland, I could say something equal or better about Jacksonville. Vice versa for any negatives you can say about Jacksonille.

And in all seriousness I couldn't give less of a crap about diversity if comes with Oakland's crime rate really. And as far as being "segregated" is concerned a lot of people are more comfortable to live within their own community with their own races so I don't always think that's necessarily bad. Only thing that would matter in is income and I seriously doubt Oakland is much better if at all than any other city in that.

Quote:
Even with our crime rate, we still have less poverty than most of your large cities. Haha
I love how you still avoid my question and keep on about this though. With such high costs of living in California cities poverty line in those would actually be higher.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Unlike New York and Philadelphia which have solid income equality?

In this regard, Oakland is different from the NE how?
Lower crime rates overall, bigger cities where the differences run a greater and more obvious gradient.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Ha Ha like I said Oakland offers nothing I can't get from your typical coastal American city. Jacksonville sounds more exciting than Oakland in all honesty. Anything " impossible to beat" (lol) positive thing you can say about Oakland, I could say something equal or better about Jacksonville. Vice versa for any negatives you can say about Jacksonille.
hahaha...Jacksonville probably also has lower poverty than those NE places I mentioned.

And how many Northeasterners moved to Jacksonville?

#checkmate.

Quote:
And in all seriousness I couldn't give less of a crap about diversity if comes with Oakland's crime rate really. And as far as being "segregated" is concerned a lot of people are more comfortable to live within their own community with their own races so I don't always think that's necessarily bad. Only thing that would matter in is income and I seriously doubt Oakland is much better if at all than any other city in that.
Yawns, double yawns.

We already showed that the average Oakland family is about the same as Boston, even though Oakland has no racial majority and one of the highest crime rates in the entire country.

And as I stated in another thread, Id rather have a high crime rate but be affluent than have a lower crime rate with more poverty.

This is the Bay Area. We hustle and grind and make things happen.-thats why we have the 5th largest population but 3rd largest economy. If you didnt know this before, then consider yourself informed.

#bay

Quote:
I love how you still avoid my question and keep on about this though. With such high costs of living in California cities poverty line in those would actually be higher.
Hahaha...take it up with the census bureau.

In the meantime Brooklyn is way more expensive than Oakland yet their average family makes less than Oakland's average family. Does this mean that BKs poverty rate us actually higher???

lol

Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Lower crime rates overall, bigger cities where the differences run a greater and more obvious gradient.
In other words, New York and Philadelphia also have huge, if not even bigger income inequality.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
This thread really...um...fell off.
Yes it has. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.