U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland Maine? or Portland, Oregon?
Portland, Maine 86 48.86%
Portland, Oregon 90 51.14%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 AM

300 posts, read 778,761 times

Advertisements

Portland, OR is definitely the bigger city with more to do, so it gets my vote.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM

9,046 posts, read 17,317,574 times
I'm assuming the poll votes going to Maine are from the ones that don't care for big cities like Portland, OR. Either that or New England natives that haven't made it to the Pacific NW. I like both cities! Portland, Maine certainly has it's charms. It is sort of like a mini - Boston (but way more laid back than Boston). The city has an old New England seaport ambiance, historic brownstone homes, cobblestoned alleyways, and plenty of Maine lobster to go around. The city park around Portland Head lighthouse is postcard scenic with the rocky shores quintesential to the Maine coast. Sebago Lake is a 1/2 hour up the road with great camping (Portland OR doesn't have a decent lake around to swim in the summer). Old Orchard Beach is fun for kids with the amusement park and decent nightlife for a small beach town. A big city fix is only 2 hours away in Boston. In spite of Portland, Maine's size it has more to offer than other cities 4 times it's size.

I'm not going neutral though. Portland, Oregon has a lot of character and is great city with a lot of influence that other cities follow, particularly for urban planning. Portland, OR pioneered green belts and was environmentally concious before it was cool. Portland is not a super big city but the light rail system serves most every angle of the metro area. The downtown has somewhat of a European feel with streetcars and the short blocks with plenty of active retail and restaurants lining most streets. The city turned a derelect industrial section (Pearl district) and reinvented it into loft living, trendy midrise condo's, a Whole Foods store, all walking distance to the rest of downtown. The key to having a succesful downtown is having lots of residential infrastructure within it and Portland, OR has done that quite well.

As metioned by other posters, Portland OR has a pretty nasty problem with homeless, panhandlers, & runaway kids. It's freeway system leaves something to be desired as they are narrow 2-3 laners, but with the light rail in place I guess they can't have everything. The pros outweigh the cons though, this vote go's to Portland, Oregon (and I'm from New England, is that betrayal? lol.)

Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,189,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'm assuming the poll votes going to Maine are from the ones that don't care for big cities like Portland, OR. Either that or New England natives that haven't made it to the Pacific NW. I like both cities! Portland, Maine certainly has it's charms. It is sort of like a mini - Boston (but way more laid back than Boston). The city has an old New England seaport ambiance, historic brownstone homes, cobblestoned alleyways, and plenty of Maine lobster to go around. The city park around Portland Head lighthouse is postcard scenic with the rocky shores quintesential to the Maine coast. Sebago Lake is a 1/2 hour up the road with great camping (Portland OR doesn't have a decent lake around to swim in the summer). Old Orchard Beach is fun for kids with the amusement park and decent nightlife for a small beach town. A big city fix is only 2 hours away in Boston. In spite of Portland, Maine's size it has more to offer than other cities 4 times it's size.

I'm not going neutral though. Portland, Oregon has a lot of character and is great city with a lot of influence that other cities follow, particularly for urban planning. Portland, OR pioneered green belts and was environmentally concious before it was cool. Portland is not a super big city but the light rail system serves most every angle of the metro area. The downtown has somewhat of a European feel with streetcars and the short blocks with plenty of active retail and restaurants lining most streets. The city turned a derelect industrial section (Pearl district) and reinvented it into loft living, trendy midrise condo's, a Whole Foods store, all walking distance to the rest of downtown. The key to having a succesful downtown is having lots of residential infrastructure within it and Portland, OR has done that quite well.

As metioned by other posters, Portland OR has a pretty nasty problem with homeless, panhandlers, & runaway kids. It's freeway system leaves something to be desired as they are narrow 2-3 laners, but with the light rail in place I guess they can't have everything. The pros outweigh the cons though, this vote go's to Portland, Oregon (and I'm from New England, is that betrayal? lol.)
It's basically a traditional old fashioned city versus a rapidly growing Pacific Northwestern city.

Two completely different climates, people, regions, activities, landscapes, culutre, and cityscapes.

Which makes them very ideal to compare! Once again, props on the good idea for the thread!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 335,526 times
Lightbulb Help! OR/ME Employment info for mental health field!

I am wondering if anyone can just briefly list a few major mental health agencies in the Portland, ME and Portland, OR areas?

Please specify if they're Maine or Oregon!

I am looking to work as a youth counselor, residential counselor, or therapeutic support worker!

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,709,852 times
I lived in Portland, Maine for a little while, and a couple years ago I visited a friend Portland, Oregon. The one in Oregon seems just like a bigger version and a little more dense. It's also not nearly as cold/snowy, lol.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,456,081 times
How much snow does Portland, Oregon get? Does it impact driving? I am seriously considering moving there in the future but snow is definitely a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I lived in Portland, Maine for a little while, and a couple years ago I visited a friend Portland, Oregon. The one in Oregon seems just like a bigger version and a little more dense. It's also not nearly as cold/snowy, lol.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM

9,046 posts, read 17,317,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
How much snow does Portland, Oregon get? Does it impact driving? I am seriously considering moving there in the future but snow is definitely a concern.
Winters in the Pacific NW are hit or miss. Some years it can stay cloudlocked and damp for months. Others can be El Nino influenced, mild sunny in the 50s. Portland, OR is more prone to ice storms because of the wind channel coming down the Columbia River. Portland, OR shuts down if there is mor ethan 2-3 inches of snow. However it seems cold and damp and a lot more snow & ice in Portland Maine, hardly a comparison as Oregon's winter are a lot more temperate.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,709,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post

I was there in April, so it wasn't really the snow season. But I know they get less than we do on the east coast. It's WAY less than in Maine. One winter in Portland (Maine), we got nearly 5 feet of snow with -10 degrees (not including the windchill).

Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,602,095 times
Portland, Oregon.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,047,141 times
IMO...PORTLAND, Oregon...I like the cities attitude toward growth and it's zoning and growth ordinances; as well as its emphasis on public transportation and more "liberal" mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City