U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland Maine? or Portland, Oregon?
Portland, Maine 86 48.86%
Portland, Oregon 90 51.14%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,563,582 times

Advertisements

I voted Portland , Maine simply b/c I like the quaint smaller feel of the town,and LOVE the coastline with lighthouse-it is gorgeous! But since I've been to neither Portland, I am not credible of making a fair overall assessment of both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:44 PM

32 posts, read 63,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I was there in April, so it wasn't really the snow season. But I know they get less than we do on the east coast. It's WAY less than in Maine. One winter in Portland (Maine), we got nearly 5 feet of snow with -10 degrees (not including the windchill).
The reason why Portland, Oregon doesn't have snow than Portland, Maine is because the climate in Pacific Northwest is different from the east coast. Also, doesn't snow that much in Pacific Northwest, EXECPT PLACES LIKE SEATTLE ONCE A WHILE

Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM

999 posts, read 1,392,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey666 View Post
The reason why Portland, Oregon doesn't have snow than Portland, Maine is because the climate in Pacific Northwest is different from the east coast. Also, doesn't snow that much in Pacific Northwest, EXECPT PLACES LIKE SEATTLE ONCE A WHILE
Portland, Maine for me. The cityscape and architecture I find to be much more interesting. I also think I would like the people a little better in Portland, ME.

Two big negatives for me for Portland, OR is it's isolation to other big cities and the damp overcast weather.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,652,155 times
I've never been to either Portland, but when researching for a possible move I considered both. I looked at Portland, ME first, and it seemed like a place I would love. But after reading the CD forum for Portland, ME, I was left with the impressions that jobs were incredibly scarce there, and health insurance prices were incredibly high. Not sure how accurate that is, but it seemed just about everyone was saying it.

Then, being a bicycle commuter and bicycle lover, I looked at Portland, OR. I loved a lot of things about it, especially the bicycle infrastructure and public transit, but for whatever reason it just never seemed like the right fit for me. Maybe if I had a chance to visit I'd see it differently, I don't know. I think part of me just really likes the idea of living near a bay or ocean port more than a river, although I'd definitely rather have a river than nothing. Plus, Portland, OR's employment potential looked at least as dire as Maine's.

After that I kind of gave up on moving for a while due to the economy (until recently), but I'd love to visit both cities some day.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM

6,555 posts, read 7,302,150 times
When we were scoping out places to move to, we visited both Portlands. While we ended up in neither (Portland, ME was too small and Portland, OR a bit too crunchy), I much prefer the Maine version if I had to choose. The red brick downtown, great restaurants and harbor setting suit me much better than the sparkling newness of the Pearl and the (sorry) ugly setting on the river. One "must have" was to move to a city with lots of great get-aways in within 2 - 3 hours. Any spot in New England is hard to beat in that regard. We were expecting more out of Portland Oregon, but were underwhelmed with the Columbia River Valley and the wine country. While we went to Crater Lake, it was quite a long haul. This really only left the fantastic Oregon coast, which while beautiful, we felt would get tiresome after returning to the same setting over and over.

One of our big concerns in considering the Oregon version were the long months of rain and overcast weather. We talked to a lot of people about how they handled the weather. The standard response: "Oh, it's no problem. We have a place in Phoenix/Hawaii/San Diego (fill in the blank) and spend a lot of time there." I really didn't want to move somewhere I felt the need to escape from for a significant part of the year.

I can understand Portland Oregon's appeal to folks. It's just not for me.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,767 times
I lived outside of Portland ME. for 13 years if your into night clubs and the night scene or are younger it can be boring but it dosent have crime or drug problems but dosent have a lot of jobs available . If your younger go with Portland Oregon, older go with Maine.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,767 times
Even tho Portland Me has a smaller pop. the area is pretty well populated during the day cause everyone works there +i also noticed that the city feels like your in Boston because the roads are narrow and the building are packed together compared to Midwestern city's that are spread out over a wide area witch gives Portland Me that bigger city feel. Portland Me is basically modeled after Boston .

Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 AM

491 posts, read 749,823 times

‪SHINING scene at the bar‬‏ - YouTube

1:40 - 1:50.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,686,612 times
The OR one, but I like both a lot.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 AM

9,044 posts, read 17,306,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
creepy, and he does creepy so well, he always has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City