U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland Maine? or Portland, Oregon?
Portland, Maine 93 49.73%
Portland, Oregon 94 50.27%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Status: "Hasta Luego New Mexico, I'm sure going to miss you!" (set 2 days ago)

9,192 posts, read 17,771,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Comparing these two cities is like comparing Philadelphia, PA and Philadelphia, MS.
Nice effort trying to be clever but not quite. Portland, Maine is a small seaport city, not a podunk town in the deep south. And Portland, OR is nowhere near as large as Philly, PA

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 02-27-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM

7,563 posts, read 15,629,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER711 View Post
I don't know what "Irfox" is looking for in a city's attitude, but you won't find nicer people than Mainers!
I never said Mainers weren't nice people. I think they are. I dated one for 6 years. I said my issue was in their attitude toward their own city (both the good and the bad). Your post illustrates some of the things I disliked about the general attitude in Portland perfectly. For example:
Quote:
Portland Maine is the model of what a city should be...beautiful, quaint, safe, and uncrowded.
This is a common sentiment among Mainers. The problem is that what you wrote here (bolded), is not what a city should be. It's what a small town should be. That's the same way you could describe Bar Harbor, ME. There's nothing wrong with quaint, beautiful and uncrowded, but those are NOT things that describe a good city.

Quote:
I would never want to live in a big city and I love Maine with all my heart! Just because they are proud that they do not have a smog problem or terrible commute problems doesn't mean they're bragging.
Nothing wrong with loving a place. It's just that many in Portland seem to believe that any place that isn't Portland isn't good. Mainers love to hate on people from MA or NY because they believe that everyone from MA or NY "thinks they're better than us!" Well, Maine (specifically Portland) has the exact same sentiment towards most other places. It's ironic, hypocritical and VERY aggravating at the same time. Believe it or not, there are plenty of other cities out there that don't have smog or commute problems.

Quote:
I would choose Maine any day based on the people alone!!!!!! I grew up in Maine, 40 minutes north of Portland and I have never heard people bragging about how "Awesome" the city is
What's funny is that you're doing it in this very post without even realizing it. Saying "You won't find nicer people than Mainers" and subsequently talking about how rude the people are in Boston, NYC and Orlando is, in fact, bragging.

Quote:
We talk about it like it's awesome because to most Mainers, Portland is a huge city! When you come from a farm town of about 4,000 people, Portland is exciting, fun and unique.
Again, perfectly understandable for Mainers to feel that way. But in comparison to the rest of the country, it's a very small city. This contradiction by itself makes it difficult for most outsiders (especially those from larger cities) to relate to Mainers. That's not so much a flaw with Portland as much as it is an incompatibility that made Portland a terrible fit for me (and many others from "away"). To be extra clear, I consider my bad experience in Portland to be my fault, not the city's. Portland was an awful fit for me. Had I done more research, I never would have made the move, and I would probably still enjoy Portland to visit.

Quote:
If you are looking for the city life (e.g. Boston or NYC) than Portland probably isn't your cup of tea, but if you'd like to live in a beautiful city with friendly people and minimal traffic
This probably sums up why I disliked Portland about as perfectly as I could ever do it. The atmosphere of Portland is a total contradiction. Mainers will often rave about how sophisticated and urban Portland is. How it's the "big city." They'll compare it (on certain levels) to Boston, New York, San Francisco, etc. Then, when challenged on those comparisons, they'll revert to "well, Portland's not a big city so you can't expect it to be like those places!"

My problem with Portland is the insular, provincial, small-town attitude. The locals will brag about how "worldly" and "cultured" Portland is and the only points of reference are generally Maine (i.e. "Portland is HUGE compared to a farm town of 4,000 people"). Again, there's nothing wrong with that (there are hundreds of cities in the US that are the same way... I just haven't lived in any of those so I'm not posting on them), but it makes it very difficult for an outsider to adjust since most people from outside of Maine are on an entirely different page as far as perspective goes.. Portland invests so much money in trying to attract tourist and often describes itself as diverse cultured gem of a little city. A weekend visit certainly doesn't expose problems in the description; but living there is a different story. I think Portland sells itself as larger than it is which is why I think the people who end up disliking it feel so strongly.

I moved to Portland because I read the tourism write ups put out by the city. I had visited a few times and found it to be charming. However, from a few visits and all of the write ups, I expected... more of a city. What I found was a quaint (charming) seaside town. The provincial attitude was almost suffocating. Fine for some, not good for me.

I think Portland's an easy fit if you grew up in Maine. If you're from outside of Maine, it's a nice place to visit, but living there is a difficult adjustment. If you're looking for a big (or medium sized) city, Portland Maine is a BAD fit. If you're looking for something small with a decent amount to offer, check it out.

Last edited by lrfox; 02-28-2012 at 12:04 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 09:49 AM

8,447 posts, read 10,206,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Nice effort trying to be clever but not quite. Portland, Maine is a small seaport city, not a podunk town in the deep south. And Portland, OR is nowhere near as large as Philly, PA
But you do understand my point right?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
But you do understand my point right?
Somewhat but only halfway as there is no authority that declares cities of a different size can not be compared to in some respects. I mean, Calcutta is a giant city but I'm sure Auckland, New Zealand could be just as if not more stimulating and fun to some people. Regardless of size clearly people have their preferences and one is not a landslide over the other in that respect between the two Portlands. Also Portland, OR was named after Portland, ME in a cointoss which is interesting (as mentioned by Dannyy in the first page of this thread - I miss that guy).

Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Somewhat but only halfway as there is no authority that declares cities of a different size can not be compared to in some respects. I mean, Calcutta is a giant city but I'm sure Auckland, New Zealand could be just as if not more stimulating and fun to some people.
I don't think there should be any issue with the variations in the size of the cities being compared. The City v. City forum is chalk full of redundant "Chicago vs. LA" or "Boston vs. San Francisco" type threads. I appreciate mixing it up; especially when there can be a common link or two (i.e. same name).

That said, it's pretty clear that size is going to be among the biggest factors in determining who votes for which city. When the disparity is as huge as Portland ME vs. Portland OR, you could almost rename the thread to "do you like big or small cities better?" If I put up a thread about Carmel, CA vs. New York, NY the results might be close even though the reality is that the two don't really compare on most levels (as a city guy, I'd go with NY, NY. However, if I ever wanted some more quiet, the Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur area would be tops on the list).

Calcutta and Auckland are so different that much more than just size goes into it. Calcutta has the population, but socioeconomically, it's VERY poor. This means that Auckland probably has amenities and entertainment more on par with Calcutta even though there's a massive population difference. I've never been to either of those cities, but I did spend a lot of time in Chennai, India (not nearly as poor as Calcutta). I would say that from an amenities and entertainment standpoint (especially things like schools, hospitals, nightlife, dining, etc) Providence RI (not nearly as important internationally as Auckland) would give it a run for its money. Chennai has 8.7 Million people in the metro whereas Providence has about 1.5 Million. Portland ME vs. Portland OR are much more similar in terms of socioeconomics, government, etc. so the population difference plays a much bigger role.

Quote:
Regardless of size clearly people have their preferences and one is not a landslide over the other in that respect between the two Portlands. Also Portland, OR was named after Portland, ME in a cointoss which is interesting (as mentioned by Dannyy in the first page of this thread - I miss that guy).
I think Portland, ME punches a bit above its weight in some aspects. The vast majority of Portland's attractions are clustered into a tiny pocket of the city center making it appear to first time visitors that it's packed to the gills with attractions too.

All that said, Portland, ME invests SOOOO much money into promoting tourism to the area as tourism is the biggest economic driver not only in the city, but the entire state of Maine. It's hard to think of many cities Portland's size that get that type of publicity.

I think that publicity, combined with the fact with a fairly strong anti-Portland OR sentiment on this forum, leads to this poll being so close. I would be willing to wager that fewer than 1/4 of the people who voted have actually been to Portland, ME. And it's hard as hell to find anything written negative about the city (not the case with Portland OR or bigger cities). I would bet that many of the "Portland ME" votes in this poll are really just votes AGAINST Portland OR, or they are votes for the IDEA of Portland, ME.

I'd be shocked if a poll was put out to just visitors of both cities and it was as close as this City-Data poll. Most votes for Portland ME, would be from people who simply prefer smaller cities.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't think there should be any issue with the variations in the size of the cities being compared. The City v. City forum is chalk full of redundant "Chicago vs. LA" or "Boston vs. San Francisco" type threads. I appreciate mixing it up; especially when there can be a common link or two (i.e. same name).
Amen. I rarely visit those types of threads. It's all been done here. I like the creative and unusual ones.

Quote:
Calcutta and Auckland are so different that much more than just size goes into it. Calcutta has the population, but socioeconomically, it's VERY poor. This means that Auckland probably has amenities and entertainment more on par with Calcutta even though there's a massive population difference.
well when somebody uses Philadelphia, MS vs. Philly, PA you kind of have to level with them and perhaps go to another extreme. Like you and I both said, there are no definitive rules. Comparing the two Portlands have generated 5 pages of worthy discussion, not bad.

Quote:

I think that publicity, combined with the fact with a fairly strong anti-Portland OR sentiment on this forum, leads to this poll being so close. I would be willing to wager that fewer than 1/4 of the people who voted have actually been to Portland, ME. And it's hard as hell to find anything written negative about the city (not the case with Portland OR or bigger cities). I would bet that many of the "Portland ME" votes in this poll are really just votes AGAINST Portland OR, or they are votes for the IDEA of Portland, ME.

I'd be shocked if a poll was put out to just visitors of both cities and it was as close as this City-Data poll. Most votes for Portland ME, would be from people who simply prefer smaller cities.

Probably true. Living in Mass and having lived in Seattle for 5 years I've visted both Portlands several times and I'm very familiar with both. Portland, Oregon is a very remarkable city for its size also. But yeah a lot of the anti Portland, OR sentiment comes from the city being so far left leaning politically and it leans left with notoriety and gusto. Just like San Francisco it's a love & hate fest.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 02-28-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
well when somebody uses Philadelphia, MS vs. Philly, PA you kind of have to level with them and perhaps go to another extreme. Like you and I both said, there are no definitive rules. Comparing the two Portlands have generated 5 pages of worthy discussion, not bad.

Absolutely. That's a bit more extreme. For the record, I like this thread (I've contributed quite a bit). It also excludes some of the cities that seem to take over other threads which is refreshing. I see certain city names in thread titles and completely disregard them. Not this one. It's been fun (and civil).

Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM

6,668 posts, read 7,529,848 times
Quote:
I would be willing to wager that fewer than 1/4 of the people who voted have actually been to Portland, ME. And it's hard as hell to find anything written negative about the city (not the case with Portland OR or bigger cities). I would bet that many of the "Portland ME" votes in this poll are really just votes AGAINST Portland OR, or they are votes for the IDEA of Portland, ME.
I can't speak for everyone who has posted, but I've been to both cities. As for a perceived anti-Portland, OR bias, I like the Oregon version even better than Seattle. I like its density, compactness, transit, people and overall vibe. That said, I like the Maine version much better and of the two, is the one I would prefer if I had choose one to call home.

I wouldn't be so eager to dismiss that many respondents truly do prefer it over Portland, Oregon. While you've made a sound case for why Portland, Maine is not a good fit for you, perhaps this has biased you against believing others may indeed actually prefer Portland, Maine. As much as it might be tempting to try to interpret what is at play when people express differences of opinion quite different from one's own, often, as they say "A cigar is just a cigar."

Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
. While you've made a sound case for why Portland, Maine is not a good fit for you, perhaps this has biased you against believing others may indeed actually prefer Portland, Maine.
Not at all. Which is why in my posts I used words like "many" and "most" but certainly not "all" or "everyone". I know Portland may be a better fit for some.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM

6,668 posts, read 7,529,848 times
Quote:
Not at all. Which is why in my posts I used words like "many" and "most" but certainly not "all" or "everyone". I know Portland may be a better fit for some.
Often, though sometimes not. Here is where you seem to presume those in this thread who prefer Maine are doing so for reasons that have nothing to do with actual preferences for Portland, ME:
Quote:
I think that publicity, combined with the fact with a fairly strong anti-Portland OR sentiment on this forum, leads to this poll being so close.
Since neither of us can be sure, I'm simply suggesting your theory of anti-Portland, OR sentiment driving this poll may not be accurate. It certainly isn't in my case and we can't know the rationale behind other expressed preferences, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City