U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland Maine? or Portland, Oregon?
Portland, Maine 95 48.97%
Portland, Oregon 99 51.03%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM

7,567 posts, read 15,635,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Often, though sometimes not. Here is where you seem to presume those in this thread who prefer Maine are doing so for reasons that have nothing to do with actual preferences for Portland, ME:

Since neither of us can be sure, I'm simply suggesting your theory of anti-Portland, OR sentiment driving this poll may not be accurate. It certainly isn't in my case and we can't know the rationale behind other expressed preferences, either.
That part wasn't worded the way I wanted it to be; but you're right. We can't know the rationale behind all of the preferences. I'm certainly well aware that many people may really prefer the smaller Portland to the larger one. I just don't put much stock in a city-data poll, especially when one city (OR) seems to be looked upon negatively by many in this particular community while the other is a city that the vast majority of City-Data members have never set foot in. Beyond that, if you happen upon an article about Portland, ME on the internet, chances are it's going to be a positive one. The city DOES invest a ton of money in putting its name out there in a positive light and it's not large enough to be covered regularly on a national level. Most people from outside of Maine only ever hear wonderful things about Portland, ME. Regardless of whether or not most of those things are true, those who have never been will likely have a fairly positive preconceived notion of the city.

Again, I know there are certainly plenty of folks who would prefer the the smaller Portland. However, I wouldn't put much stock in this particular city-data poll for the reasons I've already listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 PM

8,908 posts, read 9,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
That part wasn't worded the way I wanted it to be; but you're right. We can't know the rationale behind all of the preferences. I'm certainly well aware that many people may really prefer the smaller Portland to the larger one. I just don't put much stock in a city-data poll, especially when one city (OR) seems to be looked upon negatively by many in this particular community while the other is a city that the vast majority of City-Data members have never set foot in. Beyond that, if you happen upon an article about Portland, ME on the internet, chances are it's going to be a positive one. The city DOES invest a ton of money in putting its name out there in a positive light and it's not large enough to be covered regularly on a national level. Most people from outside of Maine only ever hear wonderful things about Portland, ME. Regardless of whether or not most of those things are true, those who have never been will likely have a fairly positive preconceived notion of the city.

Again, I know there are certainly plenty of folks who would prefer the the smaller Portland. However, I wouldn't put much stock in this particular city-data poll for the reasons I've already listed.
Really as I see it I think Portland is put on a pedestal, some rank its Public Transit with Boston, Philly, and San Fran, when it its not, though spectacular for a city its size.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM

7,567 posts, read 15,635,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Really as I see it I think Portland is put on a pedestal, some rank its Public Transit with Boston, Philly, and San Fran, when it its not, though spectacular for a city its size.
Oh, I agree with you. Nationally, Portland OR is put on a pedestal (I think Portland ME is too, but on a smaller scale). What I'm saying is that I think on THIS WEBSITE full of city enthusiasts, there are a lot of people who feel Portland OR is a bit overrated nationally and look at it more negatively on here because they think it gets too much credit. Austin is another city with in a similar situation... highly regarded nationally, but people on this think it's a bit overhyped.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:42 PM

6,668 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
I agree with quite a few of your points. For many threads, it's clear that some of the most opinionated posters haven't set foot in some of the cities they claim to love or loath. For this reason, I support this view for sure:
Quote:
I wouldn't put much stock in this particular city-data poll
In fact, I don't put much stock in any CD poll. More often than not, they are pointless pi$$ing matches where certain posters renew old grudges. For me, well-articulated comments carry more weight and are more educational than any poll results. That's why this thread has been a refreshing change.

While we hold different opinions of the two Portlands, it's clear to me you at least have experience to back up your rationale.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 PM

20,712 posts, read 29,276,648 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree with you. Nationally, Portland OR is put on a pedestal (I think Portland ME is too, but on a smaller scale). What I'm saying is that I think on THIS WEBSITE full of city enthusiasts, there are a lot of people who feel Portland OR is a bit overrated nationally and look at it more negatively on here because they think it gets too much credit. Austin is another city with in a similar situation... highly regarded nationally, but people on this think it's a bit overhyped.
Cha-ching! Spot on!

The US is full of great places to live but there is such a hype-fest here for the cities you mentioned (and others).

Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,534,298 times
Portland OR bigger city is what I like

Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 11,182 times
I would vote for Portland OR--I love the wine and beer culture in Portland OR; the 15 four-year colleges in the area make the city a center of liberalism; the city promotes small, entrepreneurial businesses over corporate franchises; it has a well-developed transportation infrastructure appropriate to the geography and size; it has, in my opinion, the best airport in the country (and I fly a lot!); it has the largest city park in the US (Forest Park); it's the best city for bicycling...now, I'm not originally from Portland, I'm from Seattle. I would vote Portland over Seattle any day of the week.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 9,573 times
I formally lived outside of Portland Me growing up and while I never lived in Portland OR here is why Portland ME will always be in my heart

Portland Maine recently got voted the 4th best looking city by Travel and Leisure Magazine
Portland has been compared to the small East Coast version of San Francisco
Portland Maine in literally by the water unlike Portland OR
Both cities have top notch breweries but I think Allagash, Sea Dog, and Gritty's from Maine top all
Portland Maine has the best seafood
We have professional basketball and baseball teams as well
Portland Maine has a very low 5% unemployment rate and Portland Oregon has a 7%
Portland Maine constantly has Beard List contestants and restaurants like Forestreet are annually voted best in the country
Portland Maine's motto is "I will rise again" and Portland OR's is "Keep Portland weird"
Portland Maine has a much lower crime rate than Portland OR
Plus Maine is Vacationland and the way life should be

Old 12-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Status: "Hasta Luego New Mexico, I'm sure going to miss you!" (set 4 days ago)

9,194 posts, read 17,780,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
Portland, Maine has been compared to the small East Coast version of San Francisco
I don't see the resemblance. It's a lot more like a smaller version of Boston.

Quote:
Portland Maine has a much lower crime rate than Portland OR
Portland, Oregon never really had a high crime rate to begin with, especially for a city of its size.

Quote:
Portland Maine has the best seafood
Certainly can't argue with that, now I'm craving a lobster roll!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 AM

9 posts, read 10,533 times
These are not similar in culture Portland Maine isn't even comparable to Portland Oregon. Portland Oregon is playing with the big boys. Portland Maine has little to offer in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City