Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That doesn’t necessarily make Dallas any less white collar. The Dallas-Fort Worth without the new comers south of the border would be the equivalent of Minneapolis-St Paul. Honestly, the old timers that grew up here and have witness this huge demographic shift are not too thrilled about it. Sorry, I miss Dallas distinctive soulfulness back in the 90’s those days are now memories of the past. Dallas these days gets questioned about its southerness in the past no one would have ever questioned Dallas southerness, but times have change and you have to adjust to your current environment.[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Im not so sure it would quite be the twin cities. DFW has alot more Asians and African Americans and alot less white people than the twin cities without the newcomers from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

But such is life. Cities go through changes. It just happens. Look at what happened to LA. LA was a predominantly white city until the 80's. No one could imagine that it would have ended up like Americas answer to Mexico City with Asians.

Immigrants go where the jobs are. At that time it was Southern California. Now it is Texas and specifically the Dallas area. It will continue to be that way for quite some time. The demographic swing in DFW has been crazy (specificly Dallas, Irving, Garland, Richardson, and to a lesser degree Plano). Irving was 93% non-hispanic white in 1980 and now its 43% hispanic.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Lots of people like wide open spaces though. I hate too many trees; I feel claustrophobic, but it is more pleasing to the eyes than miles and miles of nothing.
well i mean atlanta isn't COMPLETELY covered in trees. it has it's open spaces here and there

Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Lots of people like wide open spaces though. I hate too many trees; I feel claustrophobic, but it is more pleasing to the eyes than miles and miles of nothing.
I feel the same way...I feel like those big trees could fall on me at moment...Plus I like seeing downtown from different angles of the city.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Dallas and Atlanta; two cities growing at a faster rate than Avatar's popularity. I tried searching for similar threads but they had 2-3 posts, or they were shut down for being about skylines.

The criteria is basic; Atlantagreg has advised us not to have any skyline threads, which is fine, besides the skyline there really are more to a city.

- Food (Major category)Either
- Schools ATL
- Infrastructure Either, but I will give ATL the edge
- Downtown office space I think DFW
- Parks (Major category) ATL, due to the Olympic park, but it could be DFW idk
- Cost of Living I think DFW is cheaper
- Quality of Life Either
- Good neighborhoods Probably ATL, but once again idk
- Influence of Suburban cities DFW has more prominent subs, ATL has more influence as the major city
- Influence of other major cities in the state ATL, hands down
- Any political influence? (Atlanta has plenty, being the state capital)
- Major rivers/lakes Neither, I guess the steel rivers of railroads would count, in that case either
- Activities for outdoors Probably DFW
- Shopping DFW, I've heard DFW is one of the best in the nation, although ATL is no slouch
- Good hotels I give the nudge to ATL as a convention capital, but DFW is no slouch
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are) ATL
- Future city renovation projects DFW, it's in Texas and they never stop

^ You can use any of these things to base your answer, please give a good explanation. It could be about anything, which city is taking into account of all the above criteria is better overall?
As a southerner and a Carolinian, I have a bias towards Atlanta, as it is the big brother/sister of the region. However, Dallas is by no means a slouch and is a city to be reckon with. Dallas hands down beats Atlanata in economic activity and probably job growth. SO, it boils down to personal preference, and for now, I prefer Atlanta. But Dallas is growing on me.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I feel the same way...I feel like those big trees could fall on me at moment...Plus I like seeing downtown from different angles of the city.
umm you can do that in atlanta, you know

i think people that haven't really seen atlanta, when they hear about the trees they envision the streets as a big, huge, suffocating maze of pine forest that never lets up. but believe it or not you do have visibility of your surroundings

Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

i think people that haven't really seen atlanta, when they hear about the trees they envision the streets as a big, huge, suffocating maze of pine forest that never lets up. but believe it or not you do have visibility of your surroundings
Exactly!

Being that Atlanta is somewhat hilly, it actually has some very dramatic views such as downtown from the vinings area.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:48 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Exactly!

Being that Atlanta is somewhat hilly, it actually has some very dramatic views such as downtown from the vinings area.
LOL you remind me of my youth when my buds and I used to drive up to Vinings Mountain and sit on the tombstones in the Pace family cemetery and smoked pot while we gazed at the skyline. The view was amazing!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

I am very aware of ATL my dad and his family reside in ATL. Actually lived in ATL for a healthy amount of time in my youthful years in Decatur. I guess I do have GA blood in me but please keep that on the low.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Im not so sure it would quite be the twin cities. DFW has alot more Asians and African Americans and alot less white people than the twin cities without the newcomers from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

But such is life. Cities go through changes. It just happens. Look at what happened to LA. LA was a predominantly white city until the 80's. No one could imagine that it would have ended up like Americas answer to Mexico City with Asians.

Immigrants go where the jobs are. At that time it was Southern California. Now it is Texas and specifically the Dallas area. It will continue to be that way for quite some time. The demographic swing in DFW has been crazy (specificly Dallas, Irving, Garland, Richardson, and to a lesser degree Plano). Irving was 93% non-hispanic white in 1980 and now its 43% hispanic.
Yes I here you buddy

Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City