U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2010, 07:44 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,019,329 times
Reputation: 2698

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Dallas hands down.

ATL vs. Dallas? Are you joking?

I grew up near ATL, and have lived in little 'ol Charlotte for several years. I like this area. But if given the choice of the two listed I would vomit in my mouth a little and then choose Dallas. The diversity, the infrastructure, economy. This is my opinion, of course, so hopefully nobody gets their little panties wadded (or they can, doesn't matter). ATL is great, but it's not that great. I am actually working in Grapevine this week for a couple days (will be back in NC tomorrow) and while driving through the vast network of freeways, through extensive, clean, modern suburbs and corporate centers, I couldn't imagine choosing Atlanta over the Dallas area. The wide open spaces and a large sister city helps with my preference also.
So essentially you're saying that you prefer Dallas because it has more sprawl?

 
Old 08-07-2010, 08:18 PM
 
1,466 posts, read 3,136,630 times
Reputation: 2594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So essentially you're saying that you prefer Dallas because it has more sprawl?
No. I'm saying I like Dallas for many reasons, including the open-ness of the area, the vast freeway network, and the cleanliness of the suburbs. Although I do like sprawl, and the kind that Dallas has is better than Atlanta in my opinion. I like the feeder roads, the visibility of retail and businesses, and the general layout of the metroplex. I like the people, the culture overall, the business community (the small portion that I have encountered thus far), and the weather. I personally put Dallas ahead of Atlanta in many areas.
 
Old 08-07-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,019,329 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
No. I'm saying I like Dallas for many reasons, including the open-ness of the area, the vast freeway network, and the cleanliness of the suburbs. Although I do like sprawl, and the kind that Dallas has is better than Atlanta in my opinion. I like the feeder roads, the visibility of retail and businesses, and the general layout of the metroplex. I like the people, the culture overall, the business community (the small portion that I have encountered thus far), and the weather. I personally put Dallas ahead of Atlanta in many areas.
OK, when you talk about modern suburbs and vast freeway networks, that pretty much equals sprawl. I judge a city by its urban core because all sprawl/suburbia is more or less equal. But I understand you mentioning the other characteristics. Dallas is quite the business friendly city. But I think it has a ways to go in really defining itself as Atlanta has and investing in the urban core. Dallas only strikes me as a place that one could really do well for themselves in, and that's a good thing in itself. But outside of that, it doesn't really strike me as a fun city, a cultural city, a city that stresses higher ed, etc. I'm not saying that it isn't those things, but that's not the image that it tends to project. I am aware, however, that it's making major investments within its urban core, particularly with new parks and cultural venues. Atlanta, on the other hand, is further ahead in this regard.

People judge cities based on different things, so for you to say "ATL vs. Dallas? Are you joking?" and then primarily extol the virtues of Dallas's sprawl just struck me as a little odd.
 
Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Toronto
124 posts, read 90,420 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
OK, when you talk about modern suburbs and vast freeway networks, that pretty much equals sprawl. I judge a city by its urban core because all sprawl/suburbia is more or less equal. But I understand you mentioning the other characteristics. Dallas is quite the business friendly city. But I think it has a ways to go in really defining itself as Atlanta has and investing in the urban core. Dallas only strikes me as a place that one could really do well for themselves in, and that's a good thing in itself. But outside of that, it doesn't really strike me as a fun city, a cultural city, a city that stresses higher ed, etc. I'm not saying that it isn't those things, but that's not the image that it tends to project. I am aware, however, that it's making major investments within its urban core, particularly with new parks and cultural venues. Atlanta, on the other hand, is further ahead in this regard.

People judge cities based on different things, so for you to say "ATL vs. Dallas? Are you joking?" and then primarily extol the virtues of Dallas's sprawl just struck me as a little odd.

 
Old 08-07-2010, 10:13 PM
 
11,763 posts, read 16,480,974 times
Reputation: 3025
I chose Dallas because Atlanta is so OVERRATED!
 
Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Status: "Just get on with it, Amazon." (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
17,663 posts, read 29,548,110 times
Reputation: 9625
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I chose Dallas because Atlanta is so OVERRATED!
I could say the same about Dallas, but like your comment it would be unsupported and without merit.
 
Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,625 posts, read 3,724,292 times
Reputation: 1481
Dallas

1) only good for business or sports (has nothing else to offer anyone)
2) no culture at all
3) boring - absolutely nothing to do (nightlife/culture is awful)
4) way behind in arts and entertainment
5) really lacking in the urban revival craze (feels like one big office park)
6) zero pedestrian friendliness only sprawl
7) no way it compares to Atlanta or offers anything more than what Atlanta does. Anyone who thinks Dallas is in any form superior to Atlanta in any category is obviously clueless!


I really think the Atlanta lovers need to get over themselves and come back to reality a bit. I think a Dallasite could counter every one of these claims with some substance.
 
Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,625 posts, read 3,724,292 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
No. I'm saying I like Dallas for many reasons, including the open-ness of the area, the vast freeway network, and the cleanliness of the suburbs. Although I do like sprawl, and the kind that Dallas has is better than Atlanta in my opinion. I like the feeder roads, the visibility of retail and businesses, and the general layout of the metroplex. I like the people, the culture overall, the business community (the small portion that I have encountered thus far), and the weather. I personally put Dallas ahead of Atlanta in many areas.
PeytonC you are really walkin on some thin ice here! How dare you say anything that would put Dallas in a more positive light than Atlanta. There is no way this can be possible! I think you should be banned from the forum for such irresponsible behavior!
 
Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,019,329 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas

1) only good for business or sports (has nothing else to offer anyone)
2) no culture at all
3) boring - absolutely nothing to do (nightlife/culture is awful)
4) way behind in arts and entertainment
5) really lacking in the urban revival craze (feels like one big office park)
6) zero pedestrian friendliness only sprawl
7) no way it compares to Atlanta or offers anything more than what Atlanta does. Anyone who thinks Dallas is in any form superior to Atlanta in any category is obviously clueless!


I really think the Atlanta lovers need to get over themselves and come back to reality a bit. I think a Dallasite could counter every one of these claims with some substance.
If you're referring to my posts in particular, I never said any of the above. In some respects, Dallas is better; in some respects, Atlanta is better. I was just offering some balance to what one particular poster said.
 
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,625 posts, read 3,724,292 times
Reputation: 1481
No not you in particular. Any time Dallas or Houston is in a thread against Atlanta the ATL homers start getting all stirred up if someone prefers a Texas city over theirs. I totally appreciate civic pride but the claims made against Dallas are usually exaggerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top