Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Nope it's the other way around. look at this LOL

Just image how posters would act if a Atlanta poster said I chose Atlanta because Dallas is so OVERRATED! or Atlanta hands down ATL vs. Dallas? Are you joking? But if given the choice of the two listed I would vomit in my mouth a little and then choose Atlanta.

who said this? zero pedestrian and etc WTF?

Some one said Dallas has better freeway, did someone say something back no.
Some one said Dallas is more of a Bussines city. did someone in say something back no.
Some one said Dallas is more diverse did someone say something back no.

1) no one said this at all.
2) no one said this, I said Atlanta has more of a identity than Dallas and gave detail to why
3) no one said this at all.
4. no said this at all, infact I would say Dallas is ahead in arts.
5) no said this, I Atlanta has more new urbanism project which is true. and for (feels like one big office park) you completely made this up.
6) No said this, I said Atlanta has more in my experience.
7. just a rant.

And by the way, again my user name is Chicago Atlanta Dallas. I represent all 3. But it's funny that you are so work up over some poster saying Atlanta is more exciting to them than Dallas, would you be this work up if someone said this about Dallas? no. Meanwhile your applauding a poster that said the thought of Atlanta makes him or her vomit. I guess it’s OK to you as long as it’s not Dallas and he or she is taking about Atlanta. I love city data )
I'm not worked up. I'm just trying to make the point that there is always an undertone in not just this thread but others as well that Texas cities are not as cool and hip or offer as much as Atlanta. I just don't see what Atlanta offers the whole of society that you can't get in Texas? The list I made were of comments that are typically made about Dallas on these threads not literally from this thread. I completely respect the opinions of others and I apologize if my thoughts seem one sided but I can say the same for most of the people on here, they believe what they believe whether theres any justification for it or not. From my personal experience Dallas doesn't lack in any regard compared to other big cities I've been to. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by living here. I'm pretty sure the people who live here feel the same way. Also, the other posters vomit comment I feel was a bit over the top as well but I was agreeing with him on the other items he feels are attributes to the Dallas area. Those are among the things I like about Dallas.

Last edited by R1070; 08-08-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 PM

123 posts, read 157,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Ya there is some emotion. Frustration lol
Its not just from this thread but other threads as well. I am not trying to say that Dallas is better than Atlanta but the references to Atlanta having more culture better nightlife etc etc are just silly. Perhaps Dallas has a different type of culture? and perhaps the nightlife scene here is on the same level but offers a different type of variety? That doesnt make it sub par to what Atlanta offers. If someone from Dallas read this threads and had never been to Atlanta they would be expecting a NY or LA type city and would be disappointed to find another Dallas or Houston. I just don't understand why people hype up Atlanta so much? I really just don't see it.
Well maybe u lived in a different social setting than most who visit or live in Atlanta.. This is not only from locals but from people outside.. DAllas is not a city that is known for being hip edgy and a destanation for nightlife.. Atlanta has had this rep for a while and with it's media outlets and entertainment industries it has put Atlanta in the limelight In that area. I'm from
Texas people over talk about Atlanta all the time some good some bad. Atlanta has a culture and history that most people learned about in school.I'll start a thread in Dallas asking about it's identity and culture..

Old 08-08-2010, 12:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezMugler View Post
Well maybe u lived in a different social setting than most who visit or live in Atlanta.. This is not only from locals but from people outside.. DAllas is not a city that is known for being hip edgy and a destanation for nightlife.. Atlanta has had this rep for a while and with it's media outlets and entertainment industries it has put Atlanta in the limelight In that area. I'm from
Texas people over talk about Atlanta all the time some good some bad. Atlanta has a culture and history that most people learned about in school.I'll start a thread in Dallas asking about it's identity and culture..
Exaggerate much??? Atlanta is not a hot topic here; not even close. NYC is rarely even talked about. Another thing is; Atlanta history is not heavily studied here either; we learned about MLK and that's about the closes we get to learning about Atlanta.

Another thing is if Atlanta is such a hot topic in Texas; than why are more Atliens moving to Houston than vice versa???

Old 08-08-2010, 03:43 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I'm not worked up. I'm just trying to make the point that there is always an undertone in not just this thread but others as well that Texas cities are not as cool and hip or offer as much as Atlanta. I just don't see what Atlanta offers the whole of society that you can't get in Texas? The list I made were of comments that are typically made about Dallas on these threads not literally from this thread. I completely respect the opinions of others and I apologize if my thoughts seem one sided but I can say the same for most of the people on here, they believe what they believe whether theres any justification for it or not. From my personal experience Dallas doesn't lack in any regard compared to other big cities I've been to. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by living here. I'm pretty sure the people who live here feel the same way. Also, the other posters vomit comment I feel was a bit over the top as well but I was agreeing with him on the other items he feels are attributes to the Dallas area. Those are among the things I like about Dallas.
Again
Some one said Dallas has better freeway, did someone say something back no.
Some one said Dallas is more of a Business city. did someone in say something back no.
Some one said Dallas is more diverse did someone say something back no.

there thing Dallas wins and there’s thing Atlanta wins, you like Dallas more than Atlanta, I like Atlanta more Dallas. I remember in a thread you said live in DFW for 7 years, if so I lived out there longer than you total years.

This a breakdown of what I said

Other then Fort Worth stock yard nothing in DFW come close to Stone mountain village, Marietta Historic Downtown, Historic Roswell and etc in large historic centers. If I'm wrong corrected me.

I also would take Atlanta vernacular architecture over Dallas, DFW suburban subdivisions are generally light or dark brick homes with often tall fences like king of the hill. Dallas. Dallas Dallas . Generally Atlanta suburban subdivision are color decorative wood or vinyl and some may you see some brick Atlanta Atlanta Atlanta. this plain out opinion and taste to me.

There’s no master plan new urbanism residential development in DFW comparable to the size of Glenwood park, Inman park village and etc in Atlanta I’m not taking about just develop loft buildings. If so please tell me. I Never said Dallas dosen't has any, but give credit where credit is due Dallas beats Atlanta freeway instructue but Atlanta beats Dallas in New urbanism it's not even a opinion. Someone can rant on all day what Dallas beats Atlanta in but if when someone said something Atlanta beats Dallas in there's fail understand?

DFW feel more artificial then Atlanta. “opinion” Atlanta is way more outdoorsy than Dallas, the environment makes people want to get out and interact too in my experience there’s way more pedestrian activity in Metro Atlanta than in Dallas. But this bring something else up you can go rafting and hiking with in the Metro, Atlanta is no Seattle but it’s way ahead DFW and underrated in this department. Do truly believe DFW and Atlanta is in same area? What are going to say large lakes? give credit where credit is due.

No one is going argue that DFW trumps Atlanta in economics but Atlanta trump Dallas in culture and I’m not taking about museums I’m taking about identity wise. “Remember this all opinion” to me Fort Worth has more of a identity than any place in DFW it's just Dallas is bigger and known way more known than Fort Worth. Let me explain what in Dallas can match up with to little 5 points, sweets auburn and etc I‘m taking about local culture.
--------
Also Lets me say this I wasn’t taking about “hip” but this may be the leading reason why ATL maybe consider on another level than Dallas. Atlanta get way media more attention then Dallas, because it’s a media hub and it’s now starting to be the setting of a lot movies and etc. And because of this celebrity and etc throw more events and etc out here. People often associate hip with the media and pop culture. Atlanta is not NY and LA but it has name for itself, are you willing to tell you believe Dallas and Atlanta equivalent names in pop culture? give credit where credit is due.

Again Someone can rant on all day what Dallas beats Atlanta in but if when someone said something Atlanta beats Dallas in there's fail understand like it's a game.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM

123 posts, read 157,603 times
Your right there are things I love about Texas and there are things about GA I like.. Which one is better lies within the person and there preferences.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exaggerate much??? Atlanta is not a hot topic here; not even close. NYC is rarely even talked about. Another thing is; Atlanta history is not heavily studied here either; we learned about MLK and that's about the closes we get to learning about Atlanta.

Another thing is if Atlanta is such a hot topic in Texas; than why are more Atliens moving to Houston than vice versa???
You took his or her post out of complete contexts and you know dang well what the poster is trying to say. I put this way it’s your favorite word that you seem to associate Atlanta with “hype” who is hyping Atlanta? is hype not a form of attention to you? hate it or love it. He or she is not talking about Texans going down the street like zombies going oh hail great Atlanta. )

And for the last thing it's call the recession is worse here, heck more people from LA move to Houston than vice versa as well what does this mean. And the topic is Dallas vs Atlanta

Old 08-08-2010, 04:59 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
People judge cities based on different things, so for you to say "ATL vs. Dallas? Are you joking?" and then primarily extol the virtues of Dallas's sprawl just struck me as a little odd.

I guess it would, since we both value different things in a city.

Look, the whole "vomit in my mouth a little" comment was meant as a joke, and it's too bad that many people were scarred for life from it. I look at a city for far different things than do many people in here. I value a great way of life, endless career opportunities, regional education opportunities for my future kids, and a certain kind of culture that Atlanta doesn't have. That's my preference. I'm not big on the "dirty souf" and 50 inch wheels culture. In my opinion, that culture is rampant in ATL, and that is fine, just not for me. I like the faster pace of Dallas, the regional differences, etc.

When it comes to me deciding where to live, the "identity" of a city, or "street presence" means nothing to me (and most other people interested in careers and their family's well-being). That stuff doesn't hold as much weight as the other stuff to me. And as far as night life goes, I don't need a million places to go so I can pass out in a different ditch every weekend. Laid-back, classy night life is fine with me.

As another poster pointed out, other than heavy rail, ATL is way behind the game as far as infrastructure goes. The freeway system that I pointed out earlier is just one example of how, over the years, Dallas is way ahead of Atlanta in smart growth planning. ATL has long been known for growing too fast for their infrastructure, including schools, utilities, etc. This is another reason (IMO) Dallas is bigger than, and always will be bigger than the ATL metro. ATL is a lot like a fat girl trying to put on her little sister's jeans. She may get them on eventually, but she will look rediculous and be in a lot of pain.

Atlanta is a great city. To each his own. To me, Dallas is clearly the better city here.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You took his or her post out of complete contexts and you know dang well what the poster is trying to say. I put this way it’s your favorite word that you seem to associate Atlanta with “hype” who is hyping Atlanta? is hype not a form of attention to you? hate it or love it. He or she is not talking about Texans going down the street like zombies going oh hail great Atlanta. )

And for the last thing it's call the recession is worse here, heck more people from LA move to Houston than vice versa as well what does this mean. And the topic is Dallas vs Atlanta
No I don't know what he is talking about because nobody I knows talks about Atlanta ALL the time. Rather it's good or bad; Atlanta is not discussed often. It's completely irrelevant to what's going on in Texas.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 PM

28 posts, read 76,300 times
I like Atlanta

Old 08-08-2010, 05:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I didn't know a lot of people from Atlanta moved to Houston more than Houstonians did to Atlanta. That's quite interesting. Maybe its a migration to Houston from Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City