U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 PM
 
1,426 posts, read 2,397,594 times
Reputation: 1141

Advertisements

Ummmmm, Dallas?

 
Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 PM
 
3,637 posts, read 3,567,790 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No I don't know what he is talking about because nobody I knows talks about Atlanta ALL the time. Rather it's good or bad; Atlanta is not discussed often. It's completely irrelevant to what's going on in Texas.
Yeah, the same as with anywhere to anywhere! but he was talking fugitively about the media so that was out of context.
 
Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 28,311,214 times
Reputation: 7197
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Yeah, the same as with anywhere to anywhere! but he was talking fugitively about the media so that was out of context.
No it was just someone trying to make Atlanta out to be more important and influential than it really is.
 
Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Toronto
124 posts, read 90,420 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You took his or her post out of complete contexts and you know dang well what the poster is trying to say. I put this way it’s your favorite word that you seem to associate Atlanta with “hype” who is hyping Atlanta? is hype not a form of attention to you? hate it or love it. He or she is not talking about Texans going down the street like zombies going oh hail great Atlanta. )

And for the last thing it's call the recession is worse here, heck more people from LA move to Houston than vice versa as well what does this mean. And the topic is Dallas vs Atlanta
Right I wasn't saying it like as if Atlanta is such a hot topic.. In general conversation people in Texas do talk about Atlanta whether good or bad.Just like people talk about Texas over In Ga. I didn't want to respond because There seemed to be alot of tention in that persons post..
 
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Toronto
124 posts, read 90,420 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No it was just someone trying to make Atlanta out to be more important and influential than it really is.
You read into my post the wrong way. The statement I made was not to make Atlanta look more influential. Every city is talked about in some form or fashion, whether its thru media, history books in school, radio, general conversation at starbucks etc.. Just because your social circle isn't talking about it doesn't mean everyone else circle isn't. I was speaking more towards culture and identity. MY GOD!!......... This site is so different from urbanplanet..
 
Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,625 posts, read 3,724,292 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again
Some one said Dallas has better freeway, did someone say something back no.
Some one said Dallas is more of a Business city. did someone in say something back no.
Some one said Dallas is more diverse did someone say something back no.

there thing Dallas wins and there’s thing Atlanta wins, you like Dallas more than Atlanta, I like Atlanta more Dallas. I remember in a thread you said live in DFW for 7 years, if so I lived out there longer than you total years.

This a breakdown of what I said

Other then Fort Worth stock yard nothing in DFW come close to Stone mountain village, Marietta Historic Downtown, Historic Roswell and etc in large historic centers. If I'm wrong corrected me.

I also would take Atlanta vernacular architecture over Dallas, DFW suburban subdivisions are generally light or dark brick homes with often tall fences like king of the hill. Dallas. Dallas Dallas . Generally Atlanta suburban subdivision are color decorative wood or vinyl and some may you see some brick AtlantaAtlantaAtlanta. this plain out opinion and taste to me.

There’s no master plan new urbanism residential development in DFW comparable to the size of Glenwood park, Inman park village and etc in Atlanta I’m not taking about just develop loft buildings. If so please tell me. I Never said Dallas dosen't has any, but give credit where credit is due Dallas beats Atlanta freeway instructue but Atlanta beats Dallas in New urbanism it's not even a opinion. Someone can rant on all day what Dallas beats Atlanta in but if when someone said something Atlanta beats Dallas in there's fail understand?

DFW feel more artificial then Atlanta. “opinion” Atlanta is way more outdoorsy than Dallas, the environment makes people want to get out and interact too in my experience there’s way more pedestrian activity in Metro Atlanta than in Dallas. But this bring something else up you can go rafting and hiking with in the Metro, Atlanta is no Seattle but it’s way ahead DFW and underrated in this department. Do truly believe DFW and Atlanta is in same area? What are going to say large lakes? give credit where credit is due.

No one is going argue that DFW trumps Atlanta in economics but Atlanta trump Dallas in culture and I’m not taking about museums I’m taking about identity wise. “Remember this all opinion” to me Fort Worth has more of a identity than any place in DFW it's just Dallas is bigger and known way more known than Fort Worth. Let me explain what in Dallas can match up with to little 5 points, sweets auburn and etc I‘m taking about local culture.
--------
Also Lets me say this I wasn’t taking about “hip” but this may be the leading reason why ATL maybe consider on another level than Dallas. Atlanta get way media more attention then Dallas, because it’s a media hub and it’s now starting to be the setting of a lot movies and etc. And because of this celebrity and etc throw more events and etc out here. People often associate hip with the media and pop culture. Atlanta is not NY and LA but it has name for itself, are you willing to tell you believe Dallas and Atlanta equivalent names in pop culture? give credit where credit is due.

Again Someone can rant on all day what Dallas beats Atlanta in but if when someone said something Atlanta beats Dallas in there's fail understand like it's a game.
Heres the responses to your remarks I have bolded your remarks heres my responses in order. enjoy
1)Historic McKinney downtown draws a lot of people like Marietta Square (historic downtown McKinney has been stated as a large reason this city is in the top fastest growing in the country), historic downtown Grapevine is similar to Historic Roswell. Add in Ft Worth and youve got a great metro area full of historic options!
2) Architecture in the two are different. DFW will have more brick and stucco due to the heat here. I like both Atlanta and Dallas architecture in different ways. I don't think one is better than the other in that regard, I do like the more multi dwelling style of buildings in the inner core of Dallas rather than the larger collection of single family homes found in Atlanta.
3) There has been a great deal of urban renewal in both cities and that is amazing. I think theres a difference in the development style of both cities due to their pasts and layouts of each. These large new urbanist developments in Atlanta are brownfield redevelopments. In inner Dallas there aren't these brownfields that need redeveloped. The one that did exist in inner Dallas was redeveloped into Victory Park. More of Dallas is on a grid and divided into blocks. I don't think theres much need to clear out entire areas and redevelop into huge new urbanist enclaves which are a new trend in suburban areas now. This is more common in suburban areas of DFW, Addison Circle is a great example of new urbanist development in DFW. The retail section of Glenwood Park is very new urbanist in nature however the single family homes behind that are in a suburban style subdivions. I think you can agree with that. This style of development seems more urban in Atlanta because the lots are small but that is already very common in DFW. In Dallas the development style tends to be more block related with areas such as West Village, State Thomas neighborhood, Design District, etc. This is found to be more in common with traditional cities laid out on a grid pattern.
4) Parts of Dallas are very plasticy feeling and its said the people in Dallas are plastic as well, I guess those two go hand in hand. Atlanta does have more of a traditional gritty feel to it in ways moreso than Dallas. I think Dallas is definitely more polished of a city. I won't disagree with you on this. I do think Atlantas overall climate and geography are more condusive to outdoors activities. I love Piedmont Park! Dallas has White Rock Lake which houses all kinds of bike and walking trails, boating activities and the Dallas Arboretum which draws large crowds, also thru the main dense intown neighborhoods old railroad tracks have been turned into biking, blading and jogging trails which connect parks along turtle creek and will eventually connect to the White Rock System. Also a lot of work has been done on the Great Trinity Forest to upgrade its trails and the Audobon Center has opened there. Dallas is also full of small city pocket parks and the city is currently building more, I think everyone can agree Dallas has a very concrete big city feel to it when compared to Southeast cities in that regard. Also, isn't Atlanta said to have the least amount of greenspace out of any of the large U.S. cities?
5) I personally feel like Dallas and Texas have a lot more identity than in Atlanta. When you move here you become Texan! The transplants in Atlanta are changing that city very rapidly which causes Atlanta to lose its identity that I feel was very present in the 1990s and before. Dallas has a different type of culture than Atlanta I think a lot of cultural images pop into a persons mind when you say Dallas or even Texas. I don't think Dallas is the stereotypical Texas one would think of but Dallas is known for its flashy materialistic lifestyle, multi cultural feel of the area and overall nice people. Unfortunately for many I think the images that pop into peoples mind in Atlanta is of the hip hop/rap scene and crime due to how its portrayed in the media.
6) Atlanta is definitely more in the spotlight in terms of African American media. I don't think the rap/hip hop side of that really gives Atlanta much of a positive image tho and I dont think anyone in Dallas is complaining to have a lack of this exposure. If you arent AA as I am not, I dont think having less of an AA media profile would matter much, if someone is AA and into this scene then Atlanta will definitely trump Dallas in any regard to this. Dallas has a different type of nightlife and entertainment culture. Theres quite a bit to offer on a multi-cultural basis and no particular focus is put on any particular races, you will see a lot of mixed crowds in Dallas hot spots. In Atlanta theres very much "whites go here, blacks go there" with little hispanic and asian influence. The quality of restaurants and clubs/bars and options offered in Dallas are no different than Atlanta. Theres just more of a hip hop scene there and a electro/dance/punk scene in Dallas. Dallas has also been attracting quite a bit of movie and film as well as hollywood producers look to film in locations other than LA. Atlantas presence of CNN, Weather Channel and TBS are great though. I'm always impressed with the CNN Center downtown.

Last edited by R1070; 08-08-2010 at 09:03 PM..
 
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
 
3,637 posts, read 3,567,790 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I guess it would, since we both value different things in a city.


Look, the whole "vomit in my mouth a little" comment was meant as a joke, and it's too bad that many people were scarred for life from it. I look at a city for far different things than do many people in here. I value a great way of life, endless career opportunities, regional education opportunities for my future kids, and a certain kind of culture that Atlanta doesn't have. That's my preference. I'm not big on the "dirty souf" and 50 inch wheels culture. In my opinion, that culture is rampant in ATL, and that is fine, just not for me. I like the faster pace of Dallas, the regional differences, etc.

When it comes to me deciding where to live, the "identity" of a city, or "street presence" means nothing to me (and most other people interested in careers and their family's well-being). That stuff doesn't hold as much weight as the other stuff to me. And as far as night life goes, I don't need a million places to go so I can pass out in a different ditch every weekend. Laid-back, classy night life is fine with me.

As another poster pointed out, other than heavy rail, ATL is way behind the game as far as infrastructure goes. The freeway system that I pointed out earlier is just one example of how, over the years, Dallas is way ahead of Atlanta in smart growth planning. ATL has long been known for growing too fast for their infrastructure, including schools, utilities, etc. This is another reason (IMO) Dallas is bigger than, and always will be bigger than the ATL metro. ATL is a lot like a fat girl trying to put on her little sister's jeans. She may get them on eventually, but she will look rediculous and be in a lot of pain.

Atlanta is a great city. To each his own. To me, Dallas is clearly the better city here.
That fair it's your opinion, but actually Atlanta beats Dallas in education it's not even a dabate and the career thing depens on what's your career is. I competely disagree on the family well being thing this is why I brought up outdoor activities. "street presence" WTF the identity thing I was talking about are festivals, historic sities and etc, so families can't go to these things? In Atlanta I can go to the Carter Center, Stone mountain, the MLK historically site but in Dallas?..... but it's all opinion.

"vomit in my mouth a little" I was pointing out what if someone from Atlanta said this about a Texas city. If texas posters are bugging out on comments not bashing imagine if someone did! and he or she so happen to be a Atlantan. )

"Dallas is way ahead of Atlanta in smart growth planning” smart growth planning is abroad I wouldn’t say this, but as you said "To each his own" because Atlanta is ahead of Dallas in new urbanism projects. DFW has a more expressive freeway system because it's 2 cities. But Dallas is doing nothing more than to set it self up to sprawl even more. infact Atlanta leaders have rejected freeways because of the fear of sprawling out more Outer Perimeter. The one thing I believe is trully going help DFW is the Trinity river projects it's going to be awesome but Atlanta has it's beltline project which is going to triple park space, improve street scrape, create more walkable developments and neighborhoods, Regenerate and connect neighborhoods, Add light rail and add public art, it’s largest redevelopment in the country larger the trinity river project. They’re both aimed to improve the to quality of life, which is why I brought up development projects.

But to add to your Metaphor “ATL is a lot like a fat girl trying to put on her little sister's jeans.” how can this be when Atlanta is generally perceive as naturally beautiful. Meanwhile I said Dallas is more artificial, so it like a lady who had plastic surgery to the point it’s obvious. ) were just joking folk. Some folks like Atlanta some folks like Dallas folks like what they like.
 
Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,019,329 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
3) There has been a great deal of urban renewal in both cities and that is amazing. I think theres a difference in the development style of both cities due to their pasts and layouts of each. These large new urbanist developments in Atlanta are brownfield redevelopments. In inner Dallas there aren't these brownfields that need redeveloped. The one that did exist in inner Dallas was redeveloped into Victory Park. More of Dallas is on a grid and divided into blocks. I don't think theres much need to clear out entire areas and redevelop into huge new urbanist enclaves which are a new trend in suburban areas now. This is more common in suburban areas of DFW, Addison Circle is a great example of new urbanist development in DFW. The retail section of Glenwood Park is very new urbanist in nature however the single family homes behind that are in a suburban style subdivions. I think you can agree with that. This style of development seems more urban in Atlanta because the lots are small but that is already very common in DFW. In Dallas the development style tends to be more block related with areas such as West Village, State Thomas neighborhood, Design District, etc. This is found to be more in common with traditional cities laid out on a grid pattern.
One important distinction between the two is that Atlanta really starting investing in the urban core and surrounding areas in a major fashion beginning in the mid-90's as the city was preparing for the Olympics. This is why even today, Centennial Olympic Park continues to attract new development (mainly museums and such) around it. In Dallas this seems to have happened more recently, but is of the same sort: new parks and cultural facilities.

Quote:
5) I personally feel like Dallas and Texas have a lot more identity than in Atlanta. When you move here you become Texan! The transplants in Atlanta are changing that city very rapidly which causes Atlanta to lose its identity that I feel was very present in the 1990s and before.
As with any place, new transplants are going to hold on to some of their "old ways" for lack of a better term (i.e., allegiance to hometown sports teams). I'd wager that the majority of new transplants in both cities identify more with their new city and less with the state they're in. Atlanta in particular has experienced rapid growth for a couple of decades now, so transplants altering the local cultural scene is nothing new. However, I still think Atlanta does better at promoting an image and a brand than Dallas ("city too busy to hate," "Black mecca," gay-friendly, etc.). I'm not necessarily saying that Dallas needs to do this (although it would help in terms of tourism and the sort), as it's doing the right things to become a more livable city, but it's just an observation. Overall, I can say that I am impressed with Dallas's progress on several fronts.
 
Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,585 posts, read 2,962,456 times
Reputation: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
I like how you make it look like Atlantans are angels then you take a pot shot at Houston.
Apologies. You are correct. It has just been my experience that the Houston posters are always just a little more fervent in their cities apologetics. Besides, I'm not an Atlantan. I'm from the (Atlantans gasp!) Georgia hinterlands.
 
Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,625 posts, read 3,724,292 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
That fair it's your opinion, but actually Atlanta beats Dallas in education it's not even a dabate and the career thing depens on what's your career is. I competely disagree on the family well being thing this is why I brought up outdoor activities. "street presence" WTF the identity thing I was talking about are festivals, historic sities and etc, so families can't go to these things? In Atlanta I can go to the Carter Center, Stone mountain, the MLK historically site but in Dallas?..... but it's all opinion.

"vomit in my mouth a little" I was pointing out what if someone from Atlanta said this about a Texas city. If texas posters are bugging out on comments not bashing imagine if someone did! and he or she so happen to be a Atlantan. )

"Dallas is way ahead of Atlanta in smart growth planning” smart growth planning is abroad I wouldn’t say this, but as you said "To each his own" because Atlanta is ahead of Dallas in new urbanism projects. DFW has a more expressive freeway system because it's 2 cities. But Dallas is doing nothing more than to set it self up to sprawl even more. infact Atlanta leaders have rejected freeways because of the fear of sprawling out more Outer Perimeter. The one thing I believe is trully going help DFW is the Trinity river projects it's going to be awesome but Atlanta has it's beltline project which is going to triple park space, improve street scrape, create more walkable developments and neighborhoods, Regenerate and connect neighborhoods, Add light rail and add public art, it’s largest redevelopment in the country larger the trinity river project. They’re both aimed to improve the to quality of life, which is why I brought up development projects.

But to add to your Metaphor “ATL is a lot like a fat girl trying to put on her little sister's jeans.” how can this be when Atlanta is generally perceive as naturally beautiful. Meanwhile I said Dallas is more artificial, so it like a lady who had plastic surgery to the point it’s obvious. ) were just joking folk. Some folks like Atlanta some folks like Dallas folks like what they like.
And here we go again.

1) If Dallas folks have to list the many things you can do in the Metroplex then you really don't know much about this area.
2) Dallas has less new urbanist projects because of 2 things. The brownfield redevlopment is not needed as much here, less industrial past in Dallas and these neighborhoods were already designed in this fashion (small lots on a city grid pattern. Dallas is not adding "more" freeways its building out its development plan that was made decades ago. These roads were layed out years ago and are getting built out. Yes Atlanta stopped the outer perimter but continues to widen its roads, some freeways have 16 lanes. Dallas is doubling its rail system miles, adding a second commuter rail line to be finished by the end of this year, expanding its inner city trolley line and beginning construction of its urban core streetcar system. I don't think Dallas is behind in its transportation infrastructure at all. No one can claim that it is. Its great that Atlanta is adding more jogging and biking options as well as public art, theres already a large presence of all of these in Dallas and its expanding as we speak.

I'm not trying to argue my point to make you feel differently. I just think perhaps you aren't aware of what Dallas already has and what is being done here on the scale that is taking place. Atlanta has a great vision for its future and is really turning around and planning some projects that will help the city. Dallas is already implementing plans that were made years ago and already has a lot of things in place that Atlanta is trying to pursue in its future. I wish the best for Atlanta, if I didnt care about it I wouldnt even bother posting on here, but I feel like folks that post on here in regard to comparing Dallas and Atlanta don't realize what Dallas really has going on.

Last edited by R1070; 08-08-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top