U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 PM

124 posts, read 90,420 times

Advertisements

I can definitely tell by your post that when u lived in Atlanta u didn't live a diverse lifestyle.. For someone to have lived in Atlanta 7 years there's alot u seemed to have not experienced about that city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Heres the responses to your remarks I have bolded your remarks heres my responses in order. enjoy
1)Historic McKinney downtown draws a lot of people like Marietta Square (historic downtown McKinney has been stated as a large reason this city is in the top fastest growing in the country), historic downtown Grapevine is similar to Historic Roswell. Add in Ft Worth and youve got a great metro area full of historic options!
2) Architecture in the two are different. DFW will have more brick and stucco due to the heat here. I like both Atlanta and Dallas architecture in different ways. I don't think one is better than the other in that regard, I do like the more multi dwelling style of buildings in the inner core of Dallas rather than the larger collection of single family homes found in Atlanta.
3) There has been a great deal of urban renewal in both cities and that is amazing. I think theres a difference in the development style of both cities due to their pasts and layouts of each. These large new urbanist developments in Atlanta are brownfield redevelopments. In inner Dallas there aren't these brownfields that need redeveloped. The one that did exist in inner Dallas was redeveloped into Victory Park. More of Dallas is on a grid and divided into blocks. I don't think theres much need to clear out entire areas and redevelop into huge new urbanist enclaves which are a new trend in suburban areas now. This is more common in suburban areas of DFW, Addison Circle is a great example of new urbanist development in DFW. The retail section of Glenwood Park is very new urbanist in nature however the single family homes behind that are in a suburban style subdivions. I think you can agree with that. This style of development seems more urban in Atlanta because the lots are small but that is already very common in DFW. In Dallas the development style tends to be more block related with areas such as West Village, State Thomas neighborhood, Design District, etc. This is found to be more in common with traditional cities laid out on a grid pattern.
4) Parts of Dallas are very plasticy feeling and its said the people in Dallas are plastic as well, I guess those two go hand in hand. Atlanta does have more of a traditional gritty feel to it in ways moreso than Dallas. I think Dallas is definitely more polished of a city. I won't disagree with you on this. I do think Atlantas overall climate and geography are more condusive to outdoors activities. I love Piedmont Park! Dallas has White Rock Lake which houses all kinds of bike and walking trails, boating activities and the Dallas Arboretum which draws large crowds, also thru the main dense intown neighborhoods old railroad tracks have been turned into biking, blading and jogging trails which connect parks along turtle creek and will eventually connect to the White Rock System. Also a lot of work has been done on the Great Trinity Forest to upgrade its trails and the Audobon Center has opened there. Dallas is also full of small city pocket parks and the city is currently building more, I think everyone can agree Dallas has a very concrete big city feel to it when compared to Southeast cities in that regard. Also, isn't Atlanta said to have the least amount of greenspace out of any of the large U.S. cities?
5) I personally feel like Dallas and Texas have a lot more identity than in Atlanta. When you move here you become Texan! The transplants in Atlanta are changing that city very rapidly which causes Atlanta to lose its identity that I feel was very present in the 1990s and before. Dallas has a different type of culture than Atlanta I think a lot of cultural images pop into a persons mind when you say Dallas or even Texas. I don't think Dallas is the stereotypical Texas one would think of but Dallas is known for its flashy materialistic lifestyle, multi cultural feel of the area and overall nice people. Unfortunately for many I think the images that pop into peoples mind in Atlanta is of the hip hop/rap scene and crime due to how its portrayed in the media.
6) Atlanta is definitely more in the spotlight in terms of African American media. I don't think the rap/hip hop side of that really gives Atlanta much of a positive image tho and I dont think anyone in Dallas is complaining to have a lack of this exposure. If you arent AA as I am not, I dont think having less of an AA media profile would matter much, if someone is AA and into this scene then Atlanta will definitely trump Dallas in any regard to this. Dallas has a different type of nightlife and entertainment culture. Theres quite a bit to offer on a multi-cultural basis and no particular focus is put on any particular races, you will see a lot of mixed crowds in Dallas hot spots. In Atlanta theres very much "whites go here, blacks go there" with little hispanic and asian influence. The quality of restaurants and clubs/bars and options offered in Dallas are no different than Atlanta. Theres just more of a hip hop scene there and a electro/dance/punk scene in Dallas. Dallas has also been attracting quite a bit of movie and film as well as hollywood producers look to film in locations other than LA. Atlantas presence of CNN, Weather Channel and TBS are great though. I'm always impressed with the CNN Center downtown.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,724,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
One important distinction between the two is that Atlanta really starting investing in the urban core and surrounding areas in a major fashion beginning in the mid-90's as the city was preparing for the Olympics. This is why even today, Centennial Olympic Park continues to attract new development (mainly museums and such) around it. In Dallas this seems to have happened more recently, but is of the same sort: new parks and cultural facilities.

As with any place, new transplants are going to hold on to some of their "old ways" for lack of a better term (i.e., allegiance to hometown sports teams). I'd wager that the majority of new transplants in both cities identify more with their new city and less with the state they're in. Atlanta in particular has experienced rapid growth for a couple of decades now, so transplants altering the local cultural scene is nothing new. However, I still think Atlanta does better at promoting an image and a brand than Dallas ("city too busy to hate," "Black mecca," gay-friendly, etc.). I'm not necessarily saying that Dallas needs to do this (although it would help in terms of tourism and the sort), as it's doing the right things to become a more livable city, but it's just an observation. Overall, I can say that I am impressed with Dallas's progress on several fronts.
Overall, I really like your post. I will pick out a few things.

1) Dallas has been as well, but you don't have that huge population of transplants that ***** and moan about it and talk about how great their former city was and put down Dallas like you constantly here in Atlanta. That gets old so fast!

2) "City too busy to Hate" is great however, Atlanta is known for still having a lot of racial tension whether people want to admit it or not. I honestly feel like the "Black Mecca" thing actually hurts Atlantas image, thats like saying "hey we're great for blacks but..." . Dallas is a huge hispanic mecca but likes to promote itself as a multi-cultural destination, you cannot visit an Atlanta promotional website without hearing mention of the strides in the black community there and thats great but other races can definitely take offense to that. Imagine if it bragged about being a white mecca. When you look up Dallas on the web you find sites like this Diverse Dallas: Cultures & Lifestyles
which I personally feel more comfortable with, I am all about being all inclusive and no one feeling uncomfortable in their surroundings which is why I prefer to live in diverse environments. As for "gay friendly" Dallas is very gay friendly and the mayor has even gone around to various glbt groups and promoted Dallas as a gay destination. DFW has one of the largest glbt populations in the country and the city of Dallas have a lot of services offered to this community as well as benefits and non-discrimination policies. Dallas is very progressive in this respect. I myself am gay and like how in Dallas there is a very cohesive centralized gay district within the city (largest concentration of gay businesses in the U.S.) with many bars, restaurants and other gay owned businesses all within 4-5 blocks of each other. No need to drive just walk. I felt like if I got bored with one place in Atlanta I had to take a cab or drive drunk to the next bar I wanted to go to. I didn't feel comfortable with that. Atlanta has a much larger AA gay club scene but Dallas overall has a lot more offerings in terms of all inclusive. I know quite a bit of gay AA in Atlanta and would want to go out with them and they would say things like "oh you dont wanna go out with us you'll get dirty looks" or "they wont let you in, youre white" I think they were half kidding (I hope). But still, I couldnt imagine people in Dallas saying that to anyone.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezMugler View Post
I can definitely tell by your post that when u lived in Atlanta u didn't live a diverse lifestyle.. For someone to have lived in Atlanta 7 years there's alot u seemed to have not experienced about that city...
What did I miss? not being sarcastic but I simply stating how in Dallas things can be similary viewed in just a different manner. I don't see how my post about how Dallas can equal up to Atlanta in many regards and is not lacking says I missed anything about Atlanta?!?
It seems like you feel I was obviously not exposed to Atlanta well enough because I feel Dallas is on the same level? Please correct me if I'm reading into your comment wrong, which I hope I am.

Last edited by R1070; 08-08-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 PM

You need to re evaluate your post there are alot of wrong things in this post.. You don't have a very broad view or experience within the city u lived in for 7 years u really need to diversify your lifestyle because u are misinformed about alot of things..

Quote:
Overall, I really like your post. I will pick out a few things.

1) Dallas has been as well, but you don't have that huge population of transplants that ***** and moan about it and talk about how great their former city was and put down Dallas like you constantly here in Atlanta. That gets old so fast!

2) "City too busy to Hate" is great however, Atlanta is known for still having a lot of racial tension whether people want to admit it or not. I honestly feel like the "Black Mecca" thing actually hurts Atlantas image, thats like saying "hey we're great for blacks but..." . Dallas is a huge hispanic mecca but likes to promote itself as a multi-cultural destination, you cannot visit an Atlanta promotional website without hearing mention of the strides in the black community there and thats great but other races can definitely take offense to that. Imagine if it bragged about being a white mecca. When you look up Dallas on the web you find sites like this Diverse Dallas: Cultures & Lifestyles
which I personally feel more comfortable with, I am all about being all inclusive and no one feeling uncomfortable in their surroundings which is why I prefer to live in diverse environments. As for "gay friendly" Dallas is very gay friendly and the mayor has even gone around to various glbt groups and promoted Dallas as a gay destination. DFW has one of the largest glbt populations in the country and the city of Dallas have a lot of services offered to this community as well as benefits and non-discrimination policies. Dallas is very progressive in this respect. I myself am gay and like how in Dallas there is a very cohesive centralized gay district within the city (largest concentration of gay businesses in the U.S.) with many bars, restaurants and other gay owned businesses all within 4-5 blocks of each other. No need to drive just walk. I felt like if I got bored with one place in Atlanta I had to take a cab or drive drunk to the next bar I wanted to go to. I didn't feel comfortable with that. Atlanta has a much larger AA gay club scene but Dallas overall has a lot more offerings in terms of all inclusive. I know quite a bit of gay AA in Atlanta and would want to go out with them and they would say things like "oh you dont wanna go out with us you'll get dirty looks" or "they wont let you in, youre white" I think they were half kidding (I hope). But still, I couldnt imagine people in Dallas saying that to anyone.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
You need to re evaluate your post there are alot of wrong things in this post.. You don't have a very broad view or experience within the city u lived in for 7 years u really need to diversify your lifestyle because u are misinformed about alot of things..
Ok well tell me whats wrong, Im not being argumentative. Perhaps I have a skewed perception. Tell me which parts of my post are false information.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Ok well tell me whats wrong, Im not being argumentative. Perhaps I have a skewed perception. Tell me which parts of my post are false information.
Yes you have a horrible perception of the city of Atlanta. It reflects in hour post. I'm going to leave it at that.. I think u really need to take the time out to learn Atlanta the proper way..

Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yes you have a horrible perception of the city of Atlanta. It reflects in hour post. I'm going to leave it at that.. I think u really need to take the time out to learn Atlanta the proper way..
well im sorry but if you cant give me any insight then i'll just take that as a personal attack which is unacceptable.

I will re-evaluate my post for you though

1) being all inclusive and celebrating diversity is much better than celebrating the strides of one race. show me one Atlanta promotional website that embraces all the cultures of that area without promoting one more than the other.
2) The bar/club scene in Atlanta is more segregated than Dallas just go to the bars and see for yourself.
3) I would indeed need to drive drunk or take a cab if I went out to the gay bars in Atlanta and wanted to go to another, none are close to each other.
4) a lot of people complain about atlanta and its mostly the transplants.

This is where my frustration sets in. its like if anyone thinks Dallas is on the same level as Atlanta or may offer something a little better then they obviously don't know Atlanta or are just plain wrong. Which I think is really the other way around.

Last edited by R1070; 08-08-2010 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 PM

I have been to Atlanta At least 50 times I know the gay scene and I know the heterosexual scene nightlife wise.. I shouldn't have too post anything you being in Atlanta 7 years should know it's diverse community. Just the way u googled the article about Dallas take your fingers and google the ones about Atlanta. I found plenty. Yes Atlanta nightlife is scattered but while it's scattered it's still more of a wellnknown and popular scene. I don't have much to say this is my last post.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 PM

I have offered a healthy counter point of view, offered examples and provided links. I feel like my views have reasoning, anyone who looks further into anything I've stated will see where I've come to my point of view.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,047,731 times
coming from where I do, either Dallas or Atlanta look big and diverse to me! Houston too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City