Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,492,470 times

Advertisements

Which US cities are most bicycle friendly?

My top five:

1. Portland, OR
2. Chicago, IL
3. Boulder, CO
4. New York, NY
5. San Francisco, CA

My Bottom 5:
- Boston, MA
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Baltimore, MD
- Miami, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,183,205 times
Why is Boston so much worse than NYC? Sure, there are less bike lanes, but biking in the city center is a much less intimidiating experience than NYC to me due to the narrower roads and lower traffic volumes.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,702,913 times
Is Pittsburgh because of the hills? Does your ranking have anything to do with your move...

One thing they have done in Philly is put in dedicated bike lanes in center city, seems like about every third street has one lane for bikes and one for cars

Overall this has been an improvement for both bikes and cars actually, Philly also has good bike trails along the Schuylkill, probably not the best bike city but also not the worst and has gotten better in recent years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgqlbTvEqfI

Also a cool interactive bike map, with bike lanes and trails defined
http://www.bicyclecoalition.org/resources/maps

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-18-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,908,107 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OVpH_oDrCY

Key Biscayne bike ride over the Rickenbacker causeway.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:26 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,428,937 times
I'd say Boulder (or Broomfield) is most bike friendly. Biking in SF is a desirable mode of transportation, but I wouldn't call it safe or necessarily friendly. Long Beach is attempting to become the most bike friendly city in the country with a plan that started 10 years ago. It's just getting some traction now and I've noticed higher awareness and enthusiasm for it.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,076,490 times
I ride to work (DT Boston) daily on a bike, and although it's certainly not a bike friendly city, I find it hard to believe it's a bottom 5.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,398,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I ride to work (DT Boston) daily on a bike, and although it's certainly not a bike friendly city, I find it hard to believe it's a bottom 5.
Yea that seems like an odd placement...I see brave people (maybe it's you) flying down the middle of Boylston on bike pretty regularly. Boston may not be bike-friendly in terms of bike lanes, etc...but the fact that Boston's core is so compact makes it so a great deal of the city is easily accessible via bike.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,255,726 times
This is bicycling Magazine's list. Bicycling's Top 50 | Bicycling Magazine
My city Arlington, VA is making major strides in this department. I know this is a US topic but my mind was blown when I saw the bicycling that goes down in Amsterdam.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,492,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Is Pittsburgh because of the hills? Does your ranking have anything to do with your move...

One thing they have done in Philly is put in dedicated bike lanes in center city, seems like about every third street has one lane for bikes and one for cars

Overall this has been an improvement for both bikes and cars actually, Philly also has good bike trails along the Schuylkill, probably not the best bike city but also not the worst and has gotten better in recent years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgqlbTvEqfI

Also a cool interactive bike map, with bike lanes and trails defined
Bike Maps | Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
Bike lanes like that is exactly what Pittsburgh needs. Its not really the hills. It's just the way the roads are set up.

*New York is making a "green freeway" that is planned to encircle Manhattan. They are also "green bike lanes" popping up.

Edit: I should also mention that Minneapolis is a great bike city.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:04 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
Denver and Portland.

Mainly because it's so easy to interact with transit on a bike in those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City