Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I heard that at one time, DFW was Delta's second-largest hub. The hub was sacrificed due to Delta attempting to avoid bankruptcy at the time.
Yep, it was huge. You know what you are talking about.

I'm sure American has been minting $$$ there ever sense.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

I predict that when the Wright Amendment expires, there will be plenty of daily flights between Dallas Love & Hartsfield.
I agree...there's definitely enough traffic between the two to sustain hourly service. AA controls the entire DFW Airport market now. When the Wright Amendment does expire, things will be interesting with Dallas-based Southwest.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I agree...there's definitely enough traffic between the two to sustain hourly service. AA controls the entire DFW Airport market now. When the Wright Amendment does expire, things will be interesting with Dallas-based Southwest.
What's funny is that Delta's commuter partner ASA used to run several CRJ's there daily. For some reason, they were pulled - but they were almost always oversold.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Very true (I'm in the industry too).

I predict that when the Wright Amendment expires, there will be plenty of daily flights between Dallas Love & Hartsfield.
If only Southwest could fly into Hartsfield, but that will never happen. And it's not Delta they have to worry about, it's AirTran they'd go to war with. I see my family in Mississippi every once in awhile, and I'd much rather fly there than drive if I could, but I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices that Delta charges on that route, so I just continue to gas up the ol' Honda and hit the road.

I wish that they could fly into PDK, but that will happen as soon as hell freezes over and the rabbit gets to eat a bowl of Trix. They are persistent rumors about a potential second airport in Atlanta, and that is the only way I could see Southwest flying into the Atlanta market.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
If only Southwest could fly into Hartsfield, but that will never happen. And it's not Delta they have to worry about, it's AirTran they'd go to war with. I see my family in Mississippi every once in awhile, and I'd much rather fly there than drive if I could, but I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices that Delta charges on that route.

I wish that they could fly into PDK, but that will happen as soon as hell freezes over and the rabbit gets to eat a bowl of Trix. They are persistent rumors about a potential second airport in Atlanta, and that is the only way I could see Southwest flying into the Atlanta market.
Atlanta doesn't have any secondary airports?

Like the way Dallas has Dallas Love Field, Houston has William P. Hobby, Fort Worth has Meacham International. Atlanta doesn't have an airport for domestic flights other than Hartsfield-Jackson International?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
If only Southwest could fly into Hartsfield, but that will never happen. And it's not Delta they have to worry about, it's AirTran they'd go to war with. I see my family in Mississippi every once in awhile, and I'd much rather fly there than drive if I could, but I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices that Delta charges on that route, so I just continue to gas up the ol' Honda and hit the road.

Not so sure about Southwest not coming to Hartsfiled. They REALLY need to add Atlanta to their network - their loyal customers want it. This is the largest city in the U.S. they don't fly to. Don't be surprised if they work out a deal for a couple of common-use gates on D to start up a small operation.

Absolutely correct on PDK (I live in the flight path). Some of the MOST rabid Nimby's in the country are here, and live and breathe just to shut that airport down.

Briscoe Field in Gwinnett is the new wild card. There is a move to privatize it, and they are proposing 30-40 flights daily (no airlines have been mentioned). The County seems very interested in going along.....

Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

Like the way Dallas has Dallas Love Field, Houston has William P. Hobby, Fort Worth has Meacham International. Atlanta doesn't have an airport for domestic flights other than Hartsfield-Jackson International?
No secondary commercial airports like Love or Hobby. The other airports around here are general aviation.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 PM

I'm pretty sure AirTran wouldn't want to see JetBlue, or American Eagle in Atlanta either due to the competition for low fare flights.
Or actually I heard starting this summer American Eagle will be in Atlanta for up to four destination cities.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

Yes, we do. Several, actually - but none see commercial service (just like Meacham does not see any).

With the recent addition of the 5th runway, were okay for now. There have been many proposals over the years to build a second airport, and the City oif Atlanta actually landbanked sites out in the exurbs for one decades ago - but Delta & Airtran (and Eastern, before they died) aren't interested.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, we do. Several, actually - but none see commercial service (just like Meacham does not see any).

With the recent addition of the 5th runway, were okay for now. There have been many proposals over the years to build a second airport, and the City oif Atlanta actually landbanked sites out in the exurbs for one decades ago - but Delta & Airtran (and Eastern, before they died) aren't interested.
I'm positive that the city of Atlanta can rely on other major airline companies to set up a secondary hub at the new airport. With air traffic being what it is in Atlanta, most airline companies would want to expand their hub there. But that compromises a huge hypothetical question. The city will probably go into renovating current airport before building another one, unless they absolutely have to in order to relieve air traffic at Hartsfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City