Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
This was pointed out way earlier here, here and here
I probably should stop with the selective reading habit.

But here's some other stuff that other people have noticed; they're minor articles.

Doin' Dallas | Atlanta | Archives | Talk of the Town (http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A3572 - broken link)

www.cherry.gatech.edu/6602/2002-final/Dallas-Atlanta.PDF

Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Would like to hear you elaborate on this.
well for one, atlanta is much greener and hillier than dallas. can't speak for everyone else, but to me, its natural scenery is a plus

Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well for one, atlanta is much greener and hillier than dallas. can't speak for everyone else, but to me, its natural scenery is a plus

I agree. That's the main difference between DFW and ATL to me - the natural scenery. Atlanta is lusher, greener and hillier than the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Also, Climate. Atlanta is more humid, Dallas is hotter in the summertime. Wintertime, both can get cold, but nowhere near as cold as the northern states. Atlanta seems to stay colder longer than Dallas, but Dallas gets colder cold snaps, if that makes any sense.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 AM

859 posts, read 2,119,723 times
Being there are too many similarities, I think when choosing it depends on where you are in live. Young single or married with children. Young and single Atlanta edges out Dallas in my mind, while if you're a young family I'd pick Dallas. This coming from a guy that loved growing up in Dallas, and has been enjoying Atlanta for some years now.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
When I went to DFW a few months back for some training I had to do, I wound up eating late at night at a diner that seemed to be where all the drunks partying on Knox-Henderson went to after the bars closed. It was like a Waffle House, but cleaner and with edible, less greasy food. Anyhow, I happened to run into someone around my age who went to Georgia Tech here in Atlanta, but took a job in Dallas. I asked him how the two compared, and he said, "it took some getting used to when I got here, but they're more alike than they are different". I keep hearing this consistently across the board.

I think besides climate and terrain, another major difference is the demographic makeup. Metro Atlanta has a larger Black population, DFW has a larger Latino population.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM

128 posts, read 273,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Being there are too many similarities, I think when choosing it depends on where you are in live. Young single or married with children. Young and single Atlanta edges out Dallas in my mind, while if you're a young family I'd pick Dallas. This coming from a guy that loved growing up in Dallas, and has been enjoying Atlanta for some years now.
I know a lot of people who grew up in DFW and they all loved it, too. I've got to say, if I were to start a family and could have my choice of cities, I would probably go to Plano or somewhere in DFW first.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:03 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,723 times
life not live, my bad I can't spell today.

but openskittles, the Plano/Frisco area is great. The shops at legacy development is a wonderful place where families and young singles seem to mingle. The equivalent to Plano here in Atlanta would be Alpharetta, ga, which I love, the only knock is that Alpharetta is farther out from the city than Plano.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I cant speak as much for Atlanta, but I dont know how much longer Dallas can really be considered white collar (the city anyway).

Dallas ISD has the highest percentage of students getting free lunch of all the major school districts in the nation. Dallas' poverty rate is now well above the national average. Given that Dallas is such a big magnent for poorer people from south of the border, its likely to get worse.

Traditionally Dallas was Texas' white collar city. I really dont think it is anymore.

http://www.analyzedallas.org/AnalyzeDallas/Pages/ViewFile.aspx?id=425 (broken link)

That doesn’t necessarily make Dallas any less white collar. The Dallas-Fort Worth without the new comers south of the border would be the equivalent of Minneapolis-St Paul. Honestly, the old timers that grew up here and have witness this huge demographic shift are not too thrilled about it. Sorry, I miss Dallas distinctive soulfulness back in the 90’s those days are now memories of the past. Dallas these days gets questioned about its southerness in the past no one would have ever questioned Dallas southerness, but times have change and you have to adjust to your current environment.[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 05-03-2010 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,248 times
Atlanta for me. It has greener land.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Lots of people like wide open spaces though. I hate too many trees; I feel claustrophobic, but it is more pleasing to the eyes than miles and miles of nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City