U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: 2nd most culturally influential nation in the world:
UK 42 40.78%
France 5 4.85%
Spain 0 0%
Germany 3 2.91%
Italy 6 5.83%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 21 20.39%
China 18 17.48%
India 4 3.88%
Australia 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.94%
Brazil 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,512,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
japan is clearly 2nd ot 1a. name it, cars, video games and anime cartoon. south korea is like a lesser version of japan. china and india have to be considered mainly because they have a billion people & r using them to their advantage. i would say china is having a bigger influence in america right now but india is catching up slowly.

i know people are going to laugh but per capita i would say jamaica only because it has 2 million people yet everyone listens to reggae which is like the father of rap in many ways and also has a spanish variants called reggueton (rap/reggae mix) and spanish reggae (as names says) and most people in a lot of english people speak a mix of british english and jamaican patwa whic are global as well.
Me being from the BRONX i have to chime in

Reggae is not the father of rap. If anything rap has had a greater impact on reggae than the other way around. Gets your facts straight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,833,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
01. United States (Obviously we're # 1 )
02. China
03. United Kingdom
04. France
05. Russia
06. Germany
07. India
08. Japan
09. Brazil
10. Singapore
11. Australia
12. Saudi Arabia
I think at least in terms of popular culture, you are putting Japan way, way too low. I place it 2nd behind the UK.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 PM

586 posts, read 721,590 times
I was reading an article recently on the economist stating that South Korea is the largest cultural export leader in East Asia with it's musicians hitting top of the charts in Japan, China, Taiwan, etc. Also it mentioned soap operas and movies.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,833,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I was reading an article recently on the economist stating that South Korea is the largest cultural export leader in East Asia with it's musicians hitting top of the charts in Japan, China, Taiwan, etc. Also it mentioned soap operas and movies.
Yes, Korean culture has become very popular in recent years throughout Asia, but I would be surprised if its popularity has eclipsed that of Japan. And especially in the U.S., and likely the Western world by extension, Korea has little presence and Japan is a huge cultural exporter.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,287,084 times
I think the answer for number 1 is the UK, leaving the US at number 2 unless you call it a tie, which I could see too. But, I don't think people realize how much stuff we got and still get from the UK. Like TV, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, America's Got Talent, all those shows are British and like many, many British shows were exported to the rest of the world. Like, I love watching Polish Dancing with the Stars lol. Yeah they watch American TV in other places, but other places all over Europe and Asia watch British TV too and more often in Europe because it's simply more relevant, not to mention the rest of the English speaking world like Australia, NZ and smaller countries and territories are far more culturally tied to the UK then America and definitely share in the TV/music/movie aspect.

Then speaking of it, think of the music exports, in past decades there was Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, David Bowie, Elton John, and so many others including the Beatles which I don't think anyone would deny the impact they had. Then, pretty much any European music you get in America today or it ever did get mostly came through the UK. Also, I think people tend to overestimate American cultural influence on other markets, yes it's huge but Europe and the UK alone among other countries like Japan have their own huge internal and external markets too, or what I mean is there are large areas of the world that have their own huge internal TV/music/media whatever markets that don't rely on the US for all or even most things cultural like some people seem to think.

Other countries I'd place high up not in much order would be France which is a huge cultural force in the world, Germany, Russia, Japan, China and India. I wouldn't really mention Spain like others have because unlike the UK and France to the English and Francophone worlds, Spain just doesn't have that kind of relationship with the world it built that they do. The Hispanic world is much more regionalized and fragmented compared to others. I'd also clarify Germany as having it's largest influence within Europe and Russia similarly has it's largest influence in the CIS and the former Soviet sphere which is still huge. Japan is a more "inward" cultural force in my opinion but still a large exporter to Asia and the West, especially the US. India and China can be huge cultural forces just by themselves just because of how huge they are, and they naturally have influence and pull around them too, but they're like the current rising stars starting to proliferate more in the world, and China's definitely bigger right now but in the coming decades India will get bigger and bigger. Well, that's my view on it.

Also, last thing, the Superbowl was mentioned but that's not really popular around the world at all. Most people watching abroad are probably Americans living abroad considering how many do. The Superbowl is actually the 2nd most watched annual sporting event in the world, second to the UEFA Final (European Cup), but pretty much the entire audience for the Superbowl is Americans, the European Cup is watched all across Europe obviously but more over the world too especially compared to the Superbowl because of the popularity of football (soccer). And when you get to sporting events in general the FIFA Cup dwarfs the Superbowl by audience when it's not even much of an event in America compared to how it's treated in the rest of the world. And that kinda "ignorance" towards what's happening in the rest of the world and what it's actually like, like thinking American culture is so supremely dominant in the world and being generally indifferent to or ignorant of things more popular in the world like soccer is something that separates America from the world in my opinion, not that that's necessarily a bad thing and not that there aren't other countries like that or places "ignorant" to America anyway. But, In some ways America is actually considered a cultural outlier in the world, particularly in Europe in my experience. It's always, those Americans with their stupid measuring system, their no football (soccer), complaints about people who aren't mostly bilingual, they always have to be different and complaints like that I heard and hear all the time. Just a lil perspective and anecdotal stuff from me I know, so take it as you want.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM

586 posts, read 721,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Yes, Korean culture has become very popular in recent years throughout Asia, but I would be surprised if its popularity has eclipsed that of Japan. And especially in the U.S., and likely the Western world by extension, Korea has little presence and Japan is a huge cultural exporter.
I remember taking my niece to a Jonas Brothers concert last year where a Korean girl group called Wondergirls opened for them. This was in Washington DC.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,392,492 times
1. USA
-gap- (not a big gap anymore compared to 60s through 90s)
2. UK
3. Japan
4. South Korea
5. China + Hong Kong + Taiwan
6. France
-the rest-

The 2000s was like the golden age for South Korea, everything from movies to music to manhwa they put out was of world class caliber, to the point where manhwa is becoming a legitimate competitor to Japanese manga.

Some Korean sound, KONY might appreciate

Last edited by Gantz; 02-13-2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 PM

11,425 posts, read 10,241,220 times
Should we factor in that cultural products made in China has a built-in audience of well over a billion people already?

This is a pretty hard question to tackle overall.

Also, I'm going to put a biased vote in for Brazil. Because I love it.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:40 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,548,632 times
I think people sell the UK as being "more culturally relevant" in a modern sense too much. Besides English being a good second language, and artists being well-played around the world, the same can be said about Ireland. Irish artists and cultural impact around the world is more felt than the British.

How do I back that up? Ever hear of any major city in the world in the past 10 years that has not had a St. Patrick's Day parade? Or listened to U2 (or one of dozens of other prominent Irish musicians)? Who doesn't know what a bagpipe is? Or enjoy a nice pint of Guinness once in a while (even though it "doesn't travel well")?

Heck even Tokyo has a St. Patrick's day parade now! And I listed Japan as having a bigger impact than the Irish!

Here's why:

Anime and manga (HUGE now)
Video games (Nintendo and any number of smaller firms)
Toyota and Japanese reliability (Luckily other car manufacturers didn't get hit with the same gusto for reliability ... and the US gov't cleared Toyota of any wrongdoing in their lawsuits)
The food ... oh so delicious and healthy too! ... except rice.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,512,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I think the answer for number 1 is the UK, leaving the US at number 2 unless you call it a tie, which I could see too. But, I don't think people realize how much stuff we got and still get from the UK. Like TV, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, America's Got Talent, all those shows are British and like many, many British shows were exported to the rest of the world. Like, I love watching Polish Dancing with the Stars lol. Yeah they watch American TV in other places, but other places all over Europe and Asia watch British TV too and more often in Europe because it's simply more relevant, not to mention the rest of the English speaking world like Australia, NZ and smaller countries and territories are far more culturally tied to the UK then America and definitely share in the TV/music/movie aspect.

Then speaking of it, think of the music exports, in past decades there was Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, David Bowie, Elton John, and so many others including the Beatles which I don't think anyone would deny the impact they had. Then, pretty much any European music you get in America today or it ever did get mostly came through the UK. Also, I think people tend to overestimate American cultural influence on other markets, yes it's huge but Europe and the UK alone among other countries like Japan have their own huge internal and external markets too, or what I mean is there are large areas of the world that have their own huge internal TV/music/media whatever markets that don't rely on the US for all or even most things cultural like some people seem to think.

This post was too overwhelmingly big so i cant respond to all of it. But for the most part, the notion that the UK is a bigger cultural export than america is straight crazy

Yes the usa gets tv ideas from the Uk. But American television shows,celebrities,movies dominate the UK way more than vice versa. Not even a competition. I heard brits saying that half of uk television is focused on american media

Its laughable to bring up the uk with music aswell. The united states CREATED THE GENRES OF MUSIC IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Stevie wonder
aretha franklin
michael jackson
prince
aerosmith
the ramones
kiss
Luther vandross
the list goes on and on. Britain cant compare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City