Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So now we're going to use the number of Google hits as an argument? Lame...
Try to keep up please. It was posted that Google Earth considers the Great Lakes as the 3rd coast, NOT the number of Google hits.

Quote:
Whats funny is Texas comes up with just as many hits as Chicago does.
LOL, then you use the same exact reference you are bashing one line above.

Quote:
According to Urban Dictionary its the Gulf Coast Region. http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=third+coast
Urban dictionary is one that the definitions are posted by users. Just about as accurate and authoritative as talking to you about the subject.

Last edited by Bydand; 05-05-2010 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:26 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,921,749 times
I'm from Cleveland, people have been calling it the "North Coast" for 30+ years now. Referring to NE Ohio itself, but also the entire coasts of the Great Lakes. I've also heard it called the "3rd coast" and "4th coast".

Saying a number than the coasts I believe is unfair because it assigns an importance to each one. Like the 1st coast would be the East Coast basically saying it's better than the rest. Then 2nd would be the West Coast, saying it's not as good as the East Coast but better than the others. Then whichever is assigned to the 3rd Coast wouldn't be as good as the East Coast or West Coast but it would be better than the other, whether it's the Gulf Coast or Great Lakes Coast/North Coast.

Then of course there's the Coastal Elites who don't consider the Great Lakes to be a coast, yet they're huge you can't see to the other side and we have hundreds of beaches on them. Not to mention they're considered a Coast by definition in the dictionary. I've personally spent years near both, the only noticeable difference I see between the Great Lakes Coast and the East/West/Gulf Coasts is the salt and the fish are bigger in general.

Another note: Wikipedia considers the Great Lakes as the 3rd Coast. But then again anybody can put a definition in on wikipedia but also urbandictionary (even easier). It's mainly the hip hop culture that calls the Gulf Coast the 3rd Coast.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM

245 posts, read 215,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
*First it's that the Great Lakes are land locked ~ wrong.

Of course they are. Have you ever see a tall ships gathering in Chicago?
What is the tonnage of cargo brought in to Chicago from China or Europe?

If Great Lakes are not landlocked physically they are landlocked practically.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post

Please take a geography course. The Great Lakes are connected to the Atlantic naturally by the St. Lawrence River.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:

You joking?
Did you miss this? http://www.city-data.com/forum/14024298-post39.html
Not Chicago, but Duluth MN because I have the info handy~ For 2009 tonnage for OVERSEAS exports (not domestic) was 858,360

Tall ships in Lake MI pic here /Ships_alongside_at_Green_Bay.jpg
Coast guard article here Coast Guard Sector Lake Michigan To Provide Security At Tall Ships (http://www.uscgstormwatch.com/go/doc/443/124901/ - broken link)

Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Quote:

I'll post this again: Picture from my house. I see 3-5 of these bad boys coming and going EVERY DAY.. and these 1000 +ft ships. FROM EUROPE! So, not too sure what you're talking about weirdo.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v342/135/17/56000713/n56000713_34953193_1751.jpg (broken link)

PS MODS do not delete my picture. i took this picture with MY camera. I OWN this picture. Dont delete it.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:39 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:

Actually that's kinda funny because every few years they have a tall ship gathering in Chicago at Navy Pier.

The tonnage handled in Chicago/Northeast Indiana is around 61,160,000 per year. The international tonnage is 7,150,000 per year. A vast majority of the foreign cargo is from Europe/Middle East/Africa - not China. That makes a lot more sense to go to the West Coast than all the way around the world and through the East Coast to the Great Lakes.

The 16 major ports on the US portion of the Great Lakes ship roughly 200,000,000 tons of cargo per year. Around 25% of that is international (not to Canada of course - that's right across most of the lakes!).

You wouldn't think that a lot of the Great Lakes ports are actually quite a bit closer than many east coat ports, as well as the gulf ports. It all depends on what's being shipped, and how much money they can save by shipping through the Lakes to railroads as opposed to the southern US ports.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,921,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I'll post this again: Picture from my house. I see 3-5 of these bad boys coming and going EVERY DAY.. and these 1000 +ft ships. FROM EUROPE! So, not too sure what you're talking about weirdo.

PS MODS do not delete my picture. i took this picture with MY camera. I OWN this picture. Dont delete it.
Interesting, what city do you live in? It says the Twin Cities on your location, but that's not on a Great Lake.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Interesting, what city do you live in? It says the Twin Cities on your location, but that's not on a Great Lake.
My guess would be Duluth.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Try to keep up please. It was posted that Google Earth considers the Great Lakes as the 3rd coast, NOT the number of Google hits.

LOL, then you use the same exact reference you are bashing one line above.

Urban dictionary is one that the definitions are posted by users. Just about as accurate and authoritative as talking to you about the subject.
As mentioned before in this thread & in Urban Dictionary, 3rd Coast is mostly (not all the time) used in the Hip Hop world as a reference to the Gulf Coast Region. If you came here (Houston or New Orleans) calling the Great Lakes Region & Chicago the "3rd Coast" you would more than likely get laughed at, especially if the person is a Black or Hispanic youth. They may even get offended & threaten you or pull out a weapon. Immature? Yes, but that's how much pride they have in their Southern cities & culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City