Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times

Advertisements

Midwesterners can keep dreaming of having a real ocean. I got it, go out & get a cup of water from your lakes, add a little salt, place a specimen in it & wallah you have your very own miniature ocean. You could call it Chi-Chi-Chi Chicga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Midwesterners can keep dreaming of having a real ocean. I got it, go out & get a cup of water from your lakes, add a little salt, place a specimen in it & wallah you have your very own miniature ocean. You could call it Chi-Chi-Chi Chicga.
No, it's not midwesterners 'dreaming' of having the ocean. That's the problem with the coastal elitists in this country. They think that oceans are cool (They are), but not to the point that people in the midwest are so envious of them.

It's the fact that the Great Lakes are often overlooked and underrated, and to people who have never been to a Great Lake (Like You), they'll never understand that hey "There's not a whole lot of differences between looking out at an ocean or a Lake"

I've been to beaches in Michigan in July and I've been to Pacific Beach in San Diego every July, and let me tell you, there isn't one lick of a difference, except that San Diego is salty and MI isn't.

Actually, I liked Michigan better because there wasn't a bajillion people everywhere all up in my bidness.

Honestly though, I'm not sure how you're still around on C-D. You're always trollin' and never contributing to conversations.

Yeah, matt, we get it, you obviously have some hidden hatred towards the Midwest and the Great Lakes. That still doesn't change the fact that The Great Lakes are the 'United States Third Coast'. The USA has - West Coast, East Coast, Gulf Coast and the Great Lakes (Third Coast).

And yeah, cool you can keep your radical Sea Food too. I'll keep slaugtering Salmon, Trout, Walleye out of Lake Superior.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Quote:
Ha ha Nice Post

Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
No, it's not midwesterners 'dreaming' of having the ocean. That's the problem with the coastal elitists in this country. They think that oceans are cool (They are), but not to the point that people in the midwest are so envious of them.

It's the fact that the Great Lakes are often overlooked and underrated, and to people who have never been to a Great Lake (Like You)
, they'll never understand that hey "There's not a whole lot of differences between looking out at an ocean or a Lake"

I've been to beaches in Michigan in July and I've been to Pacific Beach in San Diego every July, and let me tell you, there isn't one lick of a difference, except that San Diego is salty and MI isn't.

Actually, I liked Michigan better because there wasn't a bajillion people everywhere all up in my bidness.

Honestly though, I'm not sure how you're still around on C-D. You're always trollin' and never contributing to conversations.

Yeah, matt, we get it, you obviously have some hidden hatred towards the Midwest and the Great Lakes. That still doesn't change the fact that The Great Lakes are the 'United States Third Coast'. The USA has - West Coast, East Coast, Gulf Coast and the Great Lakes (Third Coast).

And yeah, cool you can keep your radical Sea Food too. I'll keep slaugtering Salmon, Trout, Walleye out of Lake Superior.
I was just in Chicago this past April for the first time & while Lake Michigan is huge, its no substitute for a real ocean like the Gulf of Mexico. You just can't get that salt water tan & breeze you could at a real beach with real waves, real sea gulls, & real palm trees.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
I was just in Chicago this past April for the first time & while Lake Michigan is huge, its no substitute for a real ocean like the Gulf of Mexico. You just can't get that salt water tan & breeze you could at a real beach with real waves, real sea gulls, & real palm trees.
The waves, seagulls, and sunshine are every bit as real in Chicago as they are in Texas. Palm trees, not so much.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
That's true. Plus you can really only take in that whole maritime stuff on the Great Lakes from May-October.

I'm not trying to say that the Great Lakes are 'just like an ocean' and that it's the Midwest's Ocean or anything like that. If we want an Ocean we just go to Florida, California or Mexico. But sitting on some sandy dunes on Lake Michigan in July isn't chopped liver either.

Trust me, even with the crowded beaches and salt, I'd still take anything in Florida, SoCal and Texas over Michigan

Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
What is a "salt water tan" is the sun a different sun closer to an ocean than the rest of the World? Real waves and real seagulls? are you for real? Is that the best arguments you can come up with now? LOL pathetic.

Come on now, you are such a real wizard on "real water" tell us which of those photos posted are ocean and which are the Great Lakes. You're the expert. enlighten us.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
I'm not going to read through this thread because I'm sure its 99% bickering, but honestly how can the lakes have a better claim to the "3rd coast" title than the Gulf (which is actually on the ocean)?

I'm sure the lake states have great beaches/recreation, etc. but it is not more of a coast than the gulf.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Why the heck would they/we dream of having an ocean? Oceans are so common, whereas the Great Lakes are unique.How many other lakes can boast of ocean liners docking on their shoress?
If I'm hard up for salt water I can cry a few tears, spit in my hand, or work up a little bit of sweat and Voila!

The only two pictures I'm even going to try to guess are #1=Great Lakes and #9 = the ocean.

So if the Great Lakes are just lakes, and the Grand Canyon is just a hole in the ground, then following that line of thinking I can conclude that NYC is just another city? It's true that size doesn't make a difference?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I'm not going to read through this thread because I'm sure its 99% bickering, but honestly how can the lakes have a better claim to the "3rd coast" title than the Gulf (which is actually on the ocean)?

I'm sure the lake states have great beaches/recreation, etc. but it is not more of a coast than the gulf.
exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City