Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:27 PM

965 posts, read 1,873,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
To Long Beach???

Lol wow. Do you realize the Pacific Ocean is west of downtown as well?
I seriously doubt he knows. If he did know, he wouldn't admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,846,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I seriously doubt he knows. If he did know, he wouldn't admit it.
Awesomeness

I was just out in LA last Summer. How could I forget? I referenced Long Beach because it is to LA what Galveston is to Houston. Should I have used Kemah or Clear Lake as a better/closer example?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:31 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro matt View Post
i'm sorry, but that would be down right depressing to live on a coast & not see a palm tree in sight for hundreds of miles. I think i'll pass on that one.
me 10x > fl

Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,694,137 times
Here's the deal.

People who aren't from the Great Lakes area are getting annoyed because they actually believe that Great Lakes people up here are walking around saying "Muwhahhahaha, we live on a COAST! HA, and the Gulf Coast is nothing!".

Actually, I live on the Great Lakes, literally 1 block from Lake Superior, where I look out on the horizion of water, just like an image taken looking out at an ocean. But that's not the issue. Everyone here refers to it as 'the Lake' and the term 'Coast' is never used. It's the 'Shore'. The 'North Shore' and the 'South Shore'.

People who are from the Great Lakes area are sick and tired of other coasters (east west and gulf) who fail to realize that the Great Lakes are pretty cool, even if you keep saying "they're just a lake". So? They're still HUGE. It's the same concept of Western USAers who keep telling people in Tennessee "Ha, you have no Mountains, or certainly, real mountains like the Rockies!!!"" When people from TN couldnt' care less about some people from Colorado who have never been to TN. Just like us Great Lakes people. We really don't care that entire USA looks at the Great Lakes as being "Just a Lake", we know different. That's not the problem.

The issue is that unless you've been to and experienced both places you should just shut your mouth. Throwing out garbage theories like "Where's the Salt" "Where's the Palm Trees?" "Where's the fishing?" "Where's the ports?" is just stupid and makes you look stupid.

Like I said about 10 times already, the term "Third Coast" has been assigned to both areas. Google uses "Third Coast" for the Great Lakes, and yeah I guess Google isn't a very legit company. I mean, they do everything wrong so they must be wrong about that. I also have a Tshirt from about 94' that says Great Lakes: The Third Coast. Who cares? you say. Well, it's not a huge deal, but even in 94' the Great Lakes were called the third coast, at least enough that a T Shirt would be made.

Chicago is still more of a maritime city than Houston.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Chicago is still more of a maritime city than Houston.
I'll agree with everything you said in your post EXCEPT this. Houston is much more of a maritime city than Chicago. The Port Authority of Houston is huge.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:21 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Awesomeness

I was just out in LA last Summer. How could I forget? I referenced Long Beach because it is to LA what Galveston is to Houston. Should I have used Kemah or Clear Lake as a better/closer example?
Where is the logic in any of this. It's pretty awesome free form you've got going here.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Here's the deal.

People who aren't from the Great Lakes area are getting annoyed because they actually believe that Great Lakes people up here are walking around saying "Muwhahhahaha, we live on a COAST! HA, and the Gulf Coast is nothing!".

We really don't care that entire USA looks at the Great Lakes as being "Just a Lake", we know different. That's not the problem.
It appears to be the exact opposite, judging from this thread.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,694,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It appears to be the exact opposite, judging from this thread.

Maybe if people from Florida and New York and other ocean coast states stop referring to the Great Lakes as 'ponds' and 'they're just lakes' and keep down playing the Great Lakes like they are Dave's Lake in the middle of nowhere that you can see across. Man these lakes in Chicago are so tiny. I mean geeze why would you even say that Chicago sits on a large body of water? Chicago just sits on a lake.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs102.snc1/4555_619032816671_56000713_36355090_5958051_n.jpg (broken link)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs082.snc1/4555_619032746811_56000713_36355076_1670268_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
How the hell is this a coast????

I don't care how it looks from street level, but the point still stands. The Great Lakes are what they are....LAKES.

I don't care if you guys refer to it as the 3rd Coast, but call it what it is and stop making it out to be something it's not. It's an area of multiple large lakes that are all surrounded by land.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How the hell is this a coast????

I don't care how it looks from street level, but the point still stands. The Great Lakes are what they are....LAKES.

I don't care if you guys refer to it as the 3rd Coast, but call it what it is and stop making it out to be something it's not. It's an area of multiple large lakes that are all surrounded by land.
I sure don't see a coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City