U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 142 63.96%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 80 36.04%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,776,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Isn't it odd that you said "one is a lake, the other a sea" yet they are called the Great LAKES?
Great Lakes is a misnomer. Why is Lake Maracaibo called a lake when it's really a brackish bay like San Francisco Bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,084,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Great Lakes is a misnomer. Why is Lake Maracaibo called a lake when it's really a brackish bay like San Francisco Bay?
What??? How??? It's not the ocean or a sea.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM

3,732 posts, read 4,293,849 times
Quote:
You have a point with Lake Maracaibo. IMO though, this looks more like a coast:

http://www.welt-atlas.de/datenbank/k...arte-7-243.gif

Than this:

http://www.divinglore.com/Genesis/US...akes%20map.jpg

Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,637,055 times
The Great Lakes are considered "seas", and are considered a Coast by some definitions, as we've seen over and over in this thread. There are too many holes in your arguments.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,084,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
The Great Lakes are considered "seas", and are considered a Coast by some definitions, as we've seen over and over in this thread. There are too many holes in your arguments.
Ummm.... The Great Lakes don't fit the definition of a sea.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,776,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What??? How??? It's not the ocean or a sea.
Technically, and geologically speaking, the Great Lakes are a collection of small seas. If we called Lake Michigan the Sea of Michigan, then people would stop thinking it was equatable to a normal lake like Lake Okeechobee.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 PM

3,732 posts, read 4,293,849 times
The Lake vs. Sea argument is really small talk, the whole point of this thread is to decide which is really the 3rd coast. If all of those lakes were connected to make some sort of coast I could see it possibly being a competitor to the Gulf Coast, until then I don't see it.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,738,924 times
File:Mediterranean Sea political map-en.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A REAL SEA.

File:Great Lakes from space.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lAKES.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 AM

4,184 posts, read 6,540,676 times
Quote:
Technically, and geologically speaking, the Great Lakes are a collection of small seas. If we called Lake Michigan the Sea of Michigan, then people would stop thinking it was equatable to a normal lake like Lake Okeechobee.
If they are seas why arent they called seas? LAKE Michigan is a LAKE. Yes theyre big lakes but that doesn't mean they have coasts. Do you really think the shores of the great lakes are more of a coast than the gulf COAST?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,800,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Well, so far some of the sources given for why the Gulf Coast should be called the "3rd Coast" are: Pages they edited themselves that day on Wikipedia, hip hop artists, Urbandictionary of all places (lol), it's winning on a poll on city-data (lol), and the fact that the oceans and gulfs have more salt somehow giving you skin cancer faster, which I guess is a good thing to some people?

BTW before this whole argument started the Wikipedia page stated that 3rd Coast was the Great Lakes region, and now it does again. So clearly something is wrong there.
The first time Wiki was referenced it this thread it was to support The Great lakes region so I changed it to the Gulf Coast region.

Then someone used it to support the Gulf Coast so I changed it back to the Great lakes.

I just like messing with people that use Wiki as a reference since it is so easily changed.

And as I stated earlier, I have lived on The Gulf Coast for 20 years and never heard it called the 3rd coast nor have I ever heard The Great Lakes called the 3rd coast in all my visits there.

While I am sure both are referred to as the 3rd coast at times neither is labeled that by the majority. My suggestion is we take the 3 biggest backers of each region and have a cage match to the death with the winner able to proclaim their region the 3rd coast.

I think that would be a much simpler resolution to this back and forth argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City